E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Warranty (personal experience)

01-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Dinan Warranty (personal experience)

hi all,

i just wanted to comment on the dinan warranty based on my personal experience. after reading the thread by XxLancaxX, i did not want to hi-jack his tread.

i have an '01 330i with dinan cold air intake, throttle body and stage III flash and i assumed an intact warranty by bmw.

i had a few issues with my car and when i brought it into the bmw dealership to service, they told me the problem (which i will explain later, several problems) was caused by the dinan mods. i tried to contact dinan but was not able to reach them through phone since they (at the time) did not post a customer service number on their website. not sure if thats still true. i went to bmw gallery of norwood (authorized dinan dealer), where i bought and installed the dinan mods and the dinan reps there told me it was a bmw problem and to talk to the service techs. this went back and forth numerous times and in the end... got no where. i paid out of my own pocket and fixed these problems.

the problems, separate incidents:

1. leaky "intake boot", its just a rubber elbow that connects the dinan intake pipe to the intake manifold. service techs claims the dinan intake was putting pressure on the intake boot and causing it to bend and eventually crack. dinan reps claim the heat and dry air must have corroded the rubber. in the end, neither owned up to it and i bought the part myself for $35 and replaced it myself.

2. throttle/acceleration hiccups, surges and hesitations. service reps claim the dinan software is causing this. dinan reps claim the transmission software was to blame. never fixed this problem but it eventually went away on its own.

the moral of my story is that dinan and bmw will both try to point fingers at one another. do not assume that your dinan products will be covered under dinan or bmw's warranty. with that said, i do not plan to buy any dinan products in the future.

just an fyi... i dont mean to bash dinan's products, just their warranty claims... please take this as you will...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

That sucks. Useful info for folks considering something as big a deal as the flash. You hear good and bad stories about the Dinan - BMW relationship. You would think that in situations where they can't agree to full liability they would just split the bill. The customer should never be involved, it's between BMW & Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
That sucks. Useful info for folks considering something as big a deal as the flash. You hear good and bad stories about the Dinan - BMW relationship. You would think that in situations where they can't agree to full liability they would just split the bill. The customer should never be involved, it's between BMW & Dinan.
That's silly for Dinan to do.
It'll be cheaper to pick up the bill rather than hearing it here and loose future sales.

A class act would be to post a message on this thread and offer some compensation. At least PM OP and offer explanation.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
Thanks for posting. Im sorry you had a bad experience with Dinan but Im glad you let other people know what happened to you. I chose not to go the Dinan route and instead JB2. That sucks that Dinan and BMW can't just work together. Renntech and Mercedes were awesome. Never had a warranty issue with my Renntech car. Thats the only thing Mercedes has on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

I'm sorry to hear about your issue with your car! It's sad but in the end it's so true. Most companies out there do this. They sell you a product and a warranty but when it comes time to pay up, it's always 'the other guys fault'.

I've gone this route with computers, cars, houses etc and it's never been simple (at least for me). In the end, if it was a few bucks here and there, i've just footed the bill. I actually did fight a claim on my property and they did in the end replace it BUT never did accept blame. I got the old, "We'll do this as a favor for you". I guess the BBB had no part in this decision.

End of the day, it's BUYER BEWARE.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
that blows. i was just considering finally doing some modding but now i'm gonna be a bit more cautious.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Agree with the posts above. I was leaning towards the Dinan reflash because of the warranty, but now I may wait and see what happens with the possible BMW reflash as it would be hard for them to not take responsibility for their own reflash.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

this is exactly what i thought will happen with major damage.
both will play telephone for months, while downtime will cost customers time and $$$
      01-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

telephone tag is exactly what i ended up doing with both dinan and bmw and they just kept redirecting blame to one another. so in the end, i lost time and money exactly as bimmbo said and i just decided to suck it up and pay for repairs myself.

i just wanted to post this to inform other members that this dinan warranty is not the holy grail of modding that some people seem to think.

caveat emptor!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

They should have fixed your car because now I would never consider wasting the money (and it is a waste) - I would rather do a piggy back or something that can be removed so at least i have a hope of BMW fixing it since they won't see the mod!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Man I am sorry that happened to you ! I wish I could say it was an isolated experience but I have 10 years doing this and this is a very often told story

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Its the same story with those lease-end protection plans as well. Good luck getting anyone to pay for anything with those things...
      01-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Those intake boots rip off all the time on E46 models on stock air boxes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

So let me get this straight...

You can't mod the car with anything BUT dinan parts... or else you lose the warranty.

.....and you can't mod the car WITH dinan parts... or else you lose the warranty.

This is exactly why I would never in a million years justify the high price of the dinan flash based upon "keeping a warranty". It's just a big ploy to screw the customer over and to make money. Enjoy those dinan flashes and your "warranty" everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
hi all,

i just wanted to comment on the dinan warranty based on my personal experience. after reading the thread by XxLancaxX, i did not want to hi-jack his tread.

i have an '01 330i with dinan cold air intake, throttle body and stage III flash and i assumed an intact warranty by bmw.

i had a few issues with my car and when i brought it into the bmw dealership to service, they told me the problem (which i will explain later, several problems) was caused by the dinan mods. i tried to contact dinan but was not able to reach them through phone since they (at the time) did not post a customer service number on their website. not sure if thats still true. i went to bmw gallery of norwood (authorized dinan dealer), where i bought and installed the dinan mods and the dinan reps there told me it was a bmw problem and to talk to the service techs. this went back and forth numerous times and in the end... got no where. i paid out of my own pocket and fixed these problems.

the problems, separate incidents:

1. leaky "intake boot", its just a rubber elbow that connects the dinan intake pipe to the intake manifold. service techs claims the dinan intake was putting pressure on the intake boot and causing it to bend and eventually crack. dinan reps claim the heat and dry air must have corroded the rubber. in the end, neither owned up to it and i bought the part myself for $35 and replaced it myself.

2. throttle/acceleration hiccups, surges and hesitations. service reps claim the dinan software is causing this. dinan reps claim the transmission software was to blame. never fixed this problem but it eventually went away on its own.

the moral of my story is that dinan and bmw will both try to point fingers at one another. do not assume that your dinan products will be covered under dinan or bmw's warranty. with that said, i do not plan to buy any dinan products in the future.

just an fyi... i dont mean to bash dinan's products, just their warranty claims... please take this as you will...
Dinan and BMW both trying to point fingers at one another. Wow...sounds like just any other aftermarket mod!
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
hkj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing your story buddy. Real life stories like this are invaluable in keeping the consumers informed.

-hkj
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
Those intake boots rip off all the time on E46 models on stock air boxes.
+1
I dont see why you would try to make Dinan cover this part to begin with. Its normal wear and tear.
      01-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
+1
I dont see why you would try to make Dinan cover this part to begin with. Its normal wear and tear.
He tried to get BMW to cover it. They wouldn't, because the BMW "...service techs claims the dinan intake was putting pressure on the intake boot and causing it to bend and eventually crack."
      01-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
elguevon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i Grand Coupe

How about warranty issues with JUST the flash, no hardware/engine part mods. (i.e. damage caused to stock BMW engine parts as a result of installing the flash)?

Any experience with this?

Sounds like the center of the warranty issue was around the Dinan part (intake). Would this issue or warranty argument arisen if the OP only had done the flash?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguevon View Post
How about warranty issues with JUST the flash, no hardware/engine part mods. (i.e. damage caused to stock BMW engine parts as a result of installing the flash)?

Any experience with this?

Sounds like the center of the warranty issue was around the Dinan part (intake). Would this issue or warranty argument arisen if the OP only had done the flash?
same thing would prolly happen, because engine/turbo damage is very costly and if it begins to occur on a large scale (like the b5 s4) neither party will want to lose their income.
      01-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

BMW Dealer the key

For those of you who read my thoughts on the Dinan flash, I haven't held back that my view of the flash (and oil cooler) is a complete rip off....

Just because I hate one product doesn't mean Dinan is a bad company, on the contrary, I will vouch for Dinan standing behind their parts. My 3.91 differential on my M6 started to whine. I had it replaced by Dinan without any hassles what so ever. My fellow M5 / M6 owners who had the same problem also experienced the same thing from Dinan.

I think the key for the people who choose to do the Dinan flash, you need to choose your Dinan dealer carefully. The best option is to choose a BMW dealer who is mod friendly and who is also a Dinan dealer.....
      01-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

in response to "How about warranty issues with JUST the flash, no hardware/engine part mods. (i.e. damage caused to stock BMW engine parts as a result of installing the flash)? Any experience with this?" by elguevon...

my problems with throttle/acceleration hiccups, surges and hesitations is exactly dealing with this issue. bmw service techs blamed this problem on the dinan stage III flash (which is the NA equivelent to the current flash for the 335i). and dinan reps were pointing the finger at my transmission's electronics.

i can imagine this same exact scenario happening with this new dinan flash for the 335i.

dont get me wrong, i really enjoyed the modest performance gains with my dinan mods. it was noticeably snappier with a more direct throttle response. it didnt make the car much quicker... but it was noticeably more responsive than my sisters similarly equipped 330i without the dinan mods. i just wanted to let everyone know of my own experiences with the dinan warranty. it is not my intention to bash their products.
Appreciate 0