THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Dinan Shockware?

10-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Dinan Shockware?

Anyone have an idea of when this may be released for the F22? It seems to get good reviews on other cars.

Not looking for a coilover kit for a leased daily driver. The cost of parts and labor for that make the Shockware attractive, even if the coilovers have resell value over the Shockware.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Anyone have an idea of when this may be released for the F22? It seems to get good reviews on other cars.

Not looking for a coilover kit for a leased daily driver. The cost of parts and labor for that make the Shockware attractive, even if the coilovers have resell value over the Shockware.
M235i Shockware is in the plans for development. Just haven't gotten that far down the list of to do's on the software development side.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Can't wait for this. Day one upgrade for me
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, this would be a very interesting upgrade with or without springs, especially for those who want something more worthy on the track without sacrificing ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
nzw212
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235XI, Maserati, Ducati

What is the ballpark price on Shockware? I'd be more interested in improving the handling than increasing power.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The F30 has it on for $399.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
nzw212
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235XI, Maserati, Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
The F30 has it on for $399.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Subscribing to this. Could be a useful option for Stock/Street class autox.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
M235i Shockware is in the plans for development. Just haven't gotten that far down the list of to do's on the software development side.
I see the software was released for the 228. I'm pretty much sold but I don't plan on changing the springs or shocks just yet. What can you tell us about doing the software upgrade alone? What kind of changes to expect? Is it substantial? I'm mostly after reducing rebound and body roll.

Also, is there any increased wear on stock components with the stiffer setup? I'm really not concerned, just curious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

I'm also interested in learning more about this. I've run a few autocrosses and a track day now and the car is very soft....even in Sport+. I currently have H&R springs and that made very little difference in stiffness....Just more low.

Has anyone done this in an F22 yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #11
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
I'm also interested in learning more about this. I've run a few autocrosses and a track day now and the car is very soft....even in Sport+. I currently have H&R springs and that made very little difference in stiffness....Just more low.

Has anyone done this in an F22 yet?
Super interested in this too. Where are we at on this Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
I see the software was released for the 228. I'm pretty much sold but I don't plan on changing the springs or shocks just yet. What can you tell us about doing the software upgrade alone? What kind of changes to expect? Is it substantial? I'm mostly after reducing rebound and body roll.

Also, is there any increased wear on stock components with the stiffer setup? I'm really not concerned, just curious
Shockware by itself without the Dinan springs / bumpstops works just fine. Its just not as huge of a difference is all. That said its still night and day in comparison to the stock setup. Most of the "floatiness" that is commonplace with the current generation of vehicles is eliminated would be the biggest and most evident difference.

I would encourage those interested to look at this thread since it gives some first hand accounts of the difference straight from the users and not some marketing fluff from the vendor itself like I get blamed for all the time. =) There are plenty of other Shockware threads to be found as well (mainly on the F30 forums) but that just happened to be recent hence why I pointed you there.

In regards to increased wear and tear... we test our products using the same requirements that BMW does for their stock items. We want to fall within the same acceptable tolerances as they do so we can assure the owners that they will get the same life out of a vehicle as if it were un-modded. There is a reason why even heavily modded Dinan cars typically are found with well over 100k miles on them... they are built to the same quality standards as BMW themselves.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #13
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Shockware by itself without the Dinan springs / bumpstops works just fine. Its just not as huge of a difference is all. That said its still night and day in comparison to the stock setup. Most of the "floatiness" that is commonplace with the current generation of vehicles is eliminated would be the biggest and most evident difference.

I would encourage those interested to look at this thread since it gives some first hand accounts of the difference straight from the users and not some marketing fluff from the vendor itself like I get blamed for all the time. =) There are plenty of other Shockware threads to be found as well (mainly on the F30 forums) but that just happened to be recent hence why I pointed you there.

In regards to increased wear and tear... we test our products using the same requirements that BMW does for their stock items. We want to fall within the same acceptable tolerances as they do so we can assure the owners that they will get the same life out of a vehicle as if it were un-modded. There is a reason why even heavily modded Dinan cars typically are found with well over 100k miles on them... they are built to the same quality standards as BMW themselves.
When will the M235i software be released?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #14
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you in advance Dinan! I'm so frickin excited
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
When will the M235i software be released?
Not sure. My understanding is development was started but the software guys ran into some sort of problem with the base BMW programming that they were trying to resolve. It was only briefly touched upon in that discussion so no real detail was given.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure. My understanding is development was started but the software guys ran into some sort of problem with the base BMW programming that they were trying to resolve. It was only briefly touched upon in that discussion so no real detail was given.
Can you find out more detail when? I basically want to throw money at my computer screen for this right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Can you find out more detail when? I basically want to throw money at my computer screen for this right now.
Ditto - can this be supplied to a potential UK based customer ?
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M235i has provided additional challenges in Shockware that we have not faced before so no release date has been determined.

We are also investigating the route of potentially offering our own plug and play electronic shocks as an alternative. Again no date or time frame can be given on this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Ditto - can this be supplied to a potential UK based customer ?
No. It has to be done via the Dinan interface / tools so only authorized Dinan dealers would be able to accommodate such an upgrade. Ask your local BMW performance dealer to inquire about becoming a Dinan dealer and we will be more then happy to set them up as we need some Euro brick and mortar distribution anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M235i has provided additional challenges in Shockware that we have not faced before so no release date has been determined.

We are also investigating the route of potentially offering our own plug and play electronic shocks as an alternative. Again no date or time frame can be given on this either.
Can you tell us how the suspensions, more specifically the EDs, differ between the 228 and 235? Since the 2 was released there have been some discussions and unknowns. I think at first it was assumed if a 228 has m sport suspension with electronic dampers then it would be identical to the 235s (just tuned differently for the different weight). But at some point someone from BMW stated there are differences but nothing specific. I haven't heard anything else since, and no one has given a definitive answer. We know both have shocks, springs, and a controller that controls the ED, but does the 235 have more valves/sensors? Is one system more complex? Different software? Thanks for any info you can give. I've been wondering this since the beginning and I just realized you'd probably be one of the best to ask.

And btw, I've installed Shockware in my 228. AMAZING. Great job guys.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #20
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Can you tell us how the suspensions, more specifically the EDs, differ between the 228 and 235? Since the 2 was released there have been some discussions and unknowns. I think at first it was assumed if a 228 has m sport suspension with electronic dampers then it would be identical to the 235s (just tuned differently for the different weight). But at some point someone from BMW stated there are differences but nothing specific. I haven't heard anything else since, and no one has given a definitive answer. We know both have shocks, springs, and a controller that controls the ED, but does the 235 have more valves/sensors? Is one system more complex? Different software? Thanks for any info you can give. I've been wondering this since the beginning and I just realized you'd probably be one of the best to ask.

And btw, I've installed Shockware in my 228. AMAZING. Great job guys.
Its different software / encryption for sure from what I have heard. Physically I am not aware of any real difference in the hardware but then again I am not on the engineering side of the building. I am but a simple marketing guy. =)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #21
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Can you confirm that Shockware alters the suspension settings in Comfort, Sport and Sport + modes but leaves EcoPro at stock? Or does it alter EcoPro too? I have the mod on my 228i M Sport and am really enjoying what it does in Sport + but, frankly, I haven't had the car long enough or driven it enough in Comfort mode to know what difference the mod makes in this mode. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Can you confirm that Shockware alters the suspension settings in Comfort, Sport and Sport + modes but leaves EcoPro at stock? Or does it alter EcoPro too? I have the mod on my 228i M Sport and am really enjoying what it does in Sport + but, frankly, I haven't had the car long enough or driven it enough in Comfort mode to know what difference the mod makes in this mode. Thanks!
Alters all modes. EcoPro is a minor change however whereas the changes are more noticeable in sport and sport+.
Appreciate 0