E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Update to my misfire issue (2 months later)

10-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
JOHNNY-5
Lieutenant
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Update to my misfire issue (2 months later)

So my car had a rough idle/misfire after it warms up. Took the advice of forum members and did the following.

changed plugs, swapped coils and injectors around, and misc other tests (BAV technic cable, inpa to read codes) but still got the same symptoms.

Well after almost a month of tinkering I gave up and decided to have it towed to Kuni. I like to try and figure things out first before I take it to the dealer if it might not be covered under my extended warranty. Which the part that caused the misfire was not covered. (sensors)

Kuni has had my car for almost a month now....
Miss driving my car, plus I have all these mods sitting in the garage...

Last Friday I got a call to come pick up my car. What they did:
1) replaced Tmap - I had to pay for out of pocket for parts and labor

2) Leak down test, they heard knocking (within specs)- I had to pay for out of pocket for labor

3) Coolant flush because they saw oil/coolant mix- I had to pay for out of pocket for labor

4) replaced 2 seals/gasket on cooler? because they saw oil/coolant mix - Extended warranty paid for parts/labor

5) power steering pump issue causing a knocking sound-Extended warranty paid for parts/labor

6) 2 brand new turbos because my SA confirmed my WG rattle, even though it was minor- Extended warranty paid for parts/labor

Total bill almost $5500
My bill $637.00, the rest was paid for by my extended warranty

So went and picked it up, right off the bat issues. Service engine soon light on, so since I was very low on gas drove it to the chevron across the street. filled her up and started the engine, got the half yellow engine (limp mode) , popped my hood, noticed they forgot to install my intake snorkel. turned engine off, waited for 30 seconds, started it back up, no half engine light.

Drove it back to Kuni, they put me back into a loaner and kept my car.

Get a call today from my SA, they will be replacing my HPFP under BMW extended warranty, 2nd time for HPFP replacement.

All in all, very happy to be getting basically a new car, but miss driving my car and cant wait to install all these parts in the garage.

So in short, if you are getting a misfire and tried everything else and still have the issue, try replacing the TMAP sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

What a mission. But like you said, at least you have a lot of new parts on the car now. Should be good to go for a while.
      10-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Wow thanks for sharing the knowledge. Sometimes we go crazy and it ends up being a sensor. Enjoy the car
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Johnny, good to hear from you man.

Sounds like they went to town on your car, that 335 should have a lot of life left in it now!

Hopefully they have it fully fixed after the 2nd pickup.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
JOHNNY-5
Lieutenant
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
Johnny, good to hear from you man.

Sounds like they went to town on your car, that 335 should have a lot of life left in it now!

Hopefully they have it fully fixed after the 2nd pickup.
Hey John, yup won't have to worry about HPFP again or turbo WG issues.

Hopefully I can get this all done and ready to go track with you guys come summer.
Appreciate 0