THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BMW Routes - any links/info

10-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Peter-K
Private
Rep
Drives: 220d M Sport

BMW Routes - any links/info

BMW Professional system - dealer says everything up to date.
In summary, I have raised this issue/problem with BMW UK but it looks like it drag on for some time:
Imagine a triangle with 2 sides 4 miles long that are major roads. The third side is a 2 mile long minor "unclassified" road. Until I drive onto the minor road the car refuses to use this road and directs me to drive 2*4miles rather than 2. The minor road exists in the sat nav and the journey time/distance falls when the minor road is taken.
This happens both when the route is keyed into the sat nav and when it is planned and sent to the car using BMW Routes. BMW Routes suggests 3 routes, using the minor road and other minor roads but these are all translated by the car into the 2*4 mile route.
I live in a rural area and this isn't an isolated example. I've looked at the xml produced by BMW Routes. A route is made up of waypoints ( start, end and intermediate points located on the destination side of the route after significant junctions) and these points are given an "Importance" - "always" for start and end and "optional" for the intermediate points. It looks like the car ignores "optional" waypoints and irrespective of "fastest/shortest/eco" route settings goes for "the route with minimum number of junctions".

Can anyone confirm similar behaviour? Any links - I've found nothing relevant for NBT systems?

Does anyone know of a formal method to report map errors or whose mapping BMW uses for Europe? Last month I was directed to turn left off a "clearway" (no stopping allowed). The only problem was I was on a railway bridge and the destination road was a farm track alongside the rail track 20ft below. I've found the error exists in Nokia online mapping ( here.com). Even planning the route on foot in Google Maps doesn't suggest jumping off the bridge.
Appreciate 0