THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) The Junkman's Minor Scratch Removal on a Lamborghini Murcielago

10-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

The Junkman's Minor Scratch Removal on a Lamborghini Murcielago

In this video, I remove 2 scratches from a Lamborghini Murcielago. The scratches were not too bad but needed the use of 2500 and 3000 grit sandpapers. I also used the Flex 3401VRG to buff them out using some polishes that are no longer available from Adam's. There are some important things that you should know about products that I could have used in this video. Another VERY IMPORTANT thing that you should know about removing scratches in car paint is that if your fingernail catches in the scratch, the scratch is TOO DEEP for you to completely remove without REPAINTING. Whatever you do, do NOT allow someone to sucker you into trying to COMPLETELY remove a scratch that deep from your paint. You will be visiting a paint booth if you try.

First, understand this. There are a plethora of products on the market today that can be used to do what I did in this video. I could have used a compound and a polish by Menzerna, 3M, Dodo Juice, Optimum, Meguiar's, 3D or Hi-Temp to complete this job instead of the products that I used by Adam's. ALL of those companies make a compound and a polish, and using any of them would have resulted in the same exact conclusion. I point this out because so many people are hung up on a given brand name when someone who knows what they are doing can get excellent results no matter who's quality product that they use. None of the products that I use to do this stuff is over-the-counter (OTC) crap, you have to order them online from the various companies that manufacture them (with the exception of 3M, which can be purchased at any body shop supply store and Meguiar's M105 and M205, which can be purchased now at your local auto store such as Pep Boys and Auto Zone).

So don't allow yourself to get caught up in the discussion of which product is the best, learn how to perform the task correctly and it won't matter what product you use as long as the products you choose are quality products. One other note, I make the wet sanding part of this look MUCH easier than it is. If you have never done this before and you decide to go out and put sandpaper up against your paint, you have got to be smoking crack. This should never be done without experience and a paint thickness gauge. It just so happens that I have been exposed to this stuff every since I was a young teenager so I have a tad bit of experience. As you will see in the video, I ain't no teenager anymore!

So sit back and get your popcorn, pen and paper ready. You're about to be treated to Junkman's "Wet Sanding 101." Don't allow people to suck you into the argument that "this quality product is better than another quality product." Understand that TECHNIQUE trumps product 24/7/365. I don't care what you use, if you have no technique then your results will always be lousy, no matter who's products you are using.

01-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
///cpt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i BSM/CR

I've been following your videos for a while now, great stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Thanks for checking them out.