E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Announcement

10-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Announcement

As most of you know by now, a few things have changed at WedgePerformance. I'm now partnered with (@BuraQ) BQ Tuning and between the two of us we have made great strides with regard to COBB ATR Tuning. Especially for the IS Models as we can now utilize the Over Boost feature which no other tuner that I’m aware of is currently doing or able to do. I have to say, Dimitri is a tuning genius when it comes to tuning in general. But, it took the two of us together to fully understand what needed to be done to bring our Advanced COBB Tuning to the next level. To be honest, it was completely by mistake on my part and Dimitri’s ability to read logs which opened the doors and led us to be where we are today.

“The only difference between a genius and one of common capacity is that the former anticipates and explores what the latter accidentally hits upon.”
Abbe Guillaume Thomas Francois Raynal (1713 - 1796)

With our new partnership, BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance is now tuning ALL N54 / N55 platforms that are supported by COBB Tuning.

Mission Statement: Tune each car to MAX power while maintaining drivability. Power that makes you smile every day... The COBB Way.

For more information, please email: WedgePerformance@gmail.com

~Ken

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Spoolin1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP

Nice Ken! I may hit you up some day to get my stage 1+ tuned to the max.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
tova86
RACE CAR!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i AW sedan

So how does this compare to the tuning with the jb4?

msport w/ splitters, miro 111 19x9.5 all around , sonic tuning csl trunk, gloss black roof, st coilover, custom black/white umnitza V2 headlights
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Congrats Ken!

Two questions:

1) Can your tuning make throttle response more linear than the stock tables do in the torque request tables?

2) How does the HSF meth kit incorporate a failsafe?

Very interested and amazed what you guys are pulling off with stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Would just like to mention that I'm running one of the canned "starting point" maps from BuraQ on my 335is and I'm already quite pleased with the results. Was at the roadcourse a weekend ago and the stage 2+ map I was running was so much smoother and powerful than anything I've run before (JB4, JB4 + backend, Vishnu OTS). I've been talking to Dimitri about going to the next level with a custom tune and I think I'm going to pull the trigger given my positive experience thus far.

As for more linear throttle mapping, I've actually played with this for the last two weeks in ATR and have settled on a hybrid throttle map that I really like for road racing and street driving (my Normal and Sport modes use the same throttle map - only difference is Sport mode eliminates the ignition cut between shifts for faster and harder shifts... apparently this is better for the clutch packs during WOT).

I'm really falling in love with the way my car feels now... I used to feel like it was so unrefined before. Looking forward to the next step.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tova86 View Post
You can start here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...68&postcount=2 Btw to be honest I would prejudice the subject. So the best thing is to let time slips debate, and reviews do the talking from those whom experienced both worlds of tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Congrats Ken!

Two questions:

1) Can your tuning make throttle response more linear than the stock tables do in the torque request tables?

Ken would have to answer #2 for you as I dont have a meth setup to answer and lack the experience.

As for #1 question though, it wouldnt be right for us to "dictate" how a throttle map should feel. Our maps are not locked. We provide you with the power and its up to the end user to set the throttle response to their own liking.

Our maps are unlocked Isnt that what many of you desired ? We give you the "controlled" power wayyy beyond the COBB OTS maps, PID's are dialed in for your specific car setup and you can simply turn boost up or down, add or take away timing and set your own throttle output and change your own AFRs and scalars. If you dont know how to we will show you how, and we are cheaper. We took care of the hard part with dialing in the PIDs, so, everything else is simple.

As for the N54B30TO cars ie the 1M, 335is, and Z435is, these are my passion. I do no treat these cars like the older N54 cars as most tuners have done by disabling the Overboost feature which make these cars unique for what they are, so I am a bit more detailed about these cars due to their faster DME.

Think about it, unlocked, & cheaper

Last edited by BQTuning; 10-19-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post

As for more linear throttle mapping, I've actually played with this for the last two weeks in ATR and have settled on a hybrid throttle map that I really like for road racing and street driving (my Normal and Sport modes use the same throttle map - only difference is Sport mode eliminates the ignition cut between shifts for faster and harder shifts... apparently this is better for the clutch packs during WOT).
As I understand it you simply alter the values in the high and low % torque request tables?

Have i got that right?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yep. Also altered the actual table headers for pedal position because in stock form it doesn't go all the way to 100% IIRC. I wanted to use the entire pedal range.

Happy to share offline to keep this thread on topic.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

This is great news. You may want to post this to the N55 section as well. There are a lot of N55ers still running OTS maps.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tova86 View Post
I've run various combos including just JB4 on its own, JB4 stacked with BB flash backend supplied by Terry, and most recently BBflash using an OTS Stage 1 map. The JB4 was great for max power particularly in Map 5 but didn't have the right-foot finesse I was looking for on the road course. I think it's a great product, but it just wasn't for me in the long run - I ran it for over a year without problems, mind you.

The OTS tune I'm running now through BQ is the smoothest and most consistently powerful across the powerband that I've run so far - and it's not even SelfTuned yet!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Congrats Ken!

Thanks, we truly appreciate the support.

I think @BuraQ already answered the first part. So part two... Aquamist is a stand alone meth/water controller that controls the signal to the boost solenoids. If meth doesn't flow, it cuts the signal and your car doesn't boost.

I don't run meth on top of pump or race fuel. I'm always on E50 or higher so for me I have disabled the fail safe option and just use the spray to control Intake Air Temps even with my big HPF 7" IC. With this setup, I don't need meth enable at all times. I can disable meth completely by pressing the button on the gauge. This option is control by a simple jumper on the controller board. If you were to disable meth with the fail safe enable, it cuts the signal and your car will not boost.

If you watch my qtr mile video, you can see my Aquamist gauge in my vent. It's not only functional with gain controls, but it tells me flow and if I'm low on meth...

Aquamist-Direct

Howerton Engineering

Watch the drivers side mirror for the kill...

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I doubt you could ever go wrong working with Wedge, tuning with Cobb or a flash stacking with a JB4. It sounds like things have only gotten better with teaming up with Q.

N54 World Record ET: 10.721 | Best MPH 130.92
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Hologram7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post

As for the N54B30TO cars ie the 1M, 335is, and Z435is, these are my passion. I do no treat these cars like the older N54 cars as most tuners have done by disabling the Overboost feature which make these cars unique for what they are, so I am a bit more detailed about these cars due to their faster DME.

Think about it, unlocked, & cheaper
Great news all around- The 335i is already a monster with many tuning options, but regarding the iS i like what you said about them being newer n54 so to speak- sometimes newer can be more complex to get right the first time in regards to tuning, and it running 7spd DCT, considering all its upgrades and availability only in the U.S. it only makes sense to partner up and share the advantages in that respect, especially since you have had experience with the platform + launching, videos, drag, etc and w/ flash tunes and the DCT..., the "is" being a North American only BMW trim, great to have more support in the region- However, don't forget about those 6speed 335 "is" n54 is out there w/ out the overboost function/feature, as we want some more power too ,(not sure as to the differences in hardware/software from an is 6spd vs. DCT besides the obvious) - anyway we want some love too, I read that "is" clutch is good for well into 500rwtq range 6spd.
      10-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram7 View Post
Great news all around- The 335i is already a monster with many tuning options, but regarding the iS i like what you said about them being newer n54 so to speak- sometimes newer can be more complex to get right the first time in regards to tuning, and it running 7spd DCT, considering all its upgrades and availability only in the U.S. it only makes sense to partner up and share the advantages in that respect, especially since you have had experience with the platform + launching, videos, drag, etc and w/ flash tunes and the DCT..., the "is" being a North American only BMW trim, great to have more support in the region- However, don't forget about those 6speed 335 "is" n54 is out there w/ out the overboost function/feature, as we want some more power too ,(not sure as to the differences in hardware/software from an is 6spd vs. DCT besides the obvious) - anyway we want some love too, I read that "is" clutch is good for well into 500rwtq range 6spd.
I treat the 335is MT just like the 1M which only comes in MT
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Can you please share what you changed for this and how it affects pedal position? Torque request high and low headers only goes up to 70%. I'm assuming the headers relate to the throttle position? So did you scale the headers to 80%, which is the max throttle angle? What does this do since your are already maxed out at 100% torque at 70% throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Yep. Also altered the actual table headers for pedal position because in stock form it doesn't go all the way to 100% IIRC. I wanted to use the entire pedal range.

Happy to share offline to keep this thread on topic.
      10-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
Hologram7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I treat the 335is MT just like the 1M which only comes in MT
Nice! Good to see we have a team dedicated to making it easier for everybody to get more power while maintaining drivability.
      10-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
Thanks, we truly appreciate the support.

I think @BuraQ already answered the first part. So part two... Aquamist is a stand alone meth/water controller that controls the signal to the boost solenoids. If meth doesn't flow, it cuts the signal and your car doesn't boost.

I don't run meth on top of pump or race fuel. I'm always on E50 or higher so for me I have disabled the fail safe option and just use the spray to control Intake Air Temps even with my big HPF 7" IC. With this setup, I don't need meth enable at all times. I can disable meth completely by pressing the button on the gauge. This option is control by a simple jumper on the controller board. If you were to disable meth with the fail safe enable, it cuts the signal and your car will not boost.

If you watch my qtr mile video, you can see my Aquamist gauge in my vent. It's not only functional with gain controls, but it tells me flow and if I'm low on meth...

Aquamist-Direct

Howerton Engineering

Watch the drivers side mirror for the kill...
Wow...nice kill in very short order there.
You can really see how much torque is being produced by the nose lift during your first two gear changes......I presume you did a second gear launch?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Ch3ss
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Congrats on the partnership. Once i get a new clutch I'll hit you guys up.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #19
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor001 View Post
Can you please share what you changed for this and how it affects pedal position? Torque request high and low headers only goes up to 70%. I'm assuming the headers relate to the throttle position? So did you scale the headers to 80%, which is the max throttle angle? What does this do since your are already maxed out at 100% torque at 70% throttle?
I changed the headers to go linearly to 100% so all the pedal is available to map if I wish (and I do wish!) They relate to the pedal position. The cells refer to torque request percent (fraction of the max torque request at that rpm).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

how much cheaper are we talking here?

i held off tuning when i was under warranty now i kept the car and maintained it properly..did carbon cleaning all new sparks and vanos cleaning and the whole A-Z according to my miles recently and now this fall weather is also good at the moment

N54 engine btw
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
stupordave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Now this is getting interesting. Been looking for a new tune. PTF tune was golden for 93 octane at sea level but 5000 ft and 91 octane has forced me back to running stock for the last few months.
      10-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #22
jlcf22
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i09

How much are you guys charging or is it just a donation?
Appreciate 0