ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Initial HK settings.

I find the flat EQ settings way to bass boomy and treble harsh/tinny. I saw some posts with classic "loudness" V shape EQ settings that to me made it a lot worse.

I have not done any technical analysis and do not intend to, just some quick fiddling with it by ear got me to this weird looking settings. I'm sure I will keep tuning but this works ok for me across different sources.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pis3kn3ypt...54.43.jpg?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
MoxieMoxie
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

First things first, go clean your iDrive display :-)

I agree the classic V that many have posted does not sound right to me. Muted and distorts at higher volumes. I've been scared to post about it because I have old ears and taste in music so I thought it might just be me. I've obsessively fiddled with mine and have something very similar to yours except 2 and 5 are about the same as 1 and 10 but I bump the bass on the previous screen about 1-2 notches.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Try this one. I think its pretty good
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine330 View Post
Try this one. I think its pretty good
Thanks I'll try it but it looks way to boosted on bass and treble. Not sure if my system has some flaw but bass is boomy and treble harsh already at 0 and that's with the slider on the previous screen already down two notches.

Anyhow if anyone else has settings they like please keep em coming. It's highly subjective/individual but it's good to have some different maps to try out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I went about this problem by downloading a pink noise track and then using an RTA app and the EQ settings to try and flatten out the graph. Crude instruments but I think this is the correct approach. I tried a few of the recommended settings others posted and also just fiddling with each frequency control until I was happy with the result. This may work to get certain songs to sound better to you, but you are remixing them - i.e. changing the way they were meant to be heard. Flattening the pink noise graph should get the sound to play the way it was intended.

I think it is important to start with the same treble and bass settings (mine were both on 3/4) and whether Surround is on or not (mine was on). I couldn't run the app and play the pink noise track from my iPhone at the same time, so I used an iPad mini to run the RTA app. Lastly, when looking at the graph, make sure you hold the device near your ear level so you are getting readings near where your ears will be.

It was tricky trying to adjust the frequencies because they are not perfectly isolated and they each affect the sound in the other levels. I want to fiddle some more, but this is what I came up with so far with reasonable results. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.

Edit: Changed the settings. These produced fairly flat pink noise across the adjustable frequencies - at least at my ear level.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  89.7 KB

Last edited by M4TW; 10-18-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

For me it can vary significantly track to track if I want to play it at higher volumes. I haven't found one setting to work any better than others. There way too many source variables. I find myself sticking to the same source for a few days and tuning it differently when I change it.

Would be nice if we could store different EQ settings in the preset buttons.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
For me it can vary significantly track to track if I want to play it at higher volumes. I haven't found one setting to work any better than others. There way too many source variables. I find myself sticking to the same source for a few days and tuning it differently when I change it.

At least for me, I want sound to say as true to the original as possible which is why I think the pink noise plus RTA tuning is the best way to go. But each person likes their music differently, even if means remixing the original sound somewhat. I think your settings can be saved to a profile on each key if that helps with saving different settings.
      10-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post

At least for me, I want sound to say as true to the original as possible which is why I think the pink noise plus RTA tuning is the best way to go. But each person likes their music differently, even if means remixing the original sound somewhat. I think your settings can be saved to a profile on each key if that helps with saving different settings.
I'll try setting profiles. That could be cool but a pain to setup I guess. Switching key fobs won't work for me. Good idea tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
I went about this problem by downloading a pink noise track and then using an RTA app and the EQ settings to try and flatten out the graph. Crude instruments but I think this is the correct approach. I tried a few of the recommended settings others posted and also just fiddling with each frequency control until I was happy with the result. This may work to get certain songs to sound better to you, but you are remixing them - i.e. changing the way they were meant to be heard. Flattening the pink noise graph should get the sound to play the way it was intended.

I think it is important to start with the same treble and bass settings (mine were both on 3/4) and whether Surround is on or not (mine was on). I couldn't run the app and play the pink noise track from my iPhone at the same time, so I used an iPad mini to run the RTA app. Lastly, when looking at the graph, make sure you hold the device near your ear level so you are getting readings near where your ears will be.

It was tricky trying to adjust the frequencies because they are not perfectly isolated and they each affect the sound in the other levels. I want to fiddle some more, but this is what I came up with so far with reasonable results. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.

Edit: Changed the settings. These produced fairly flat pink noise across the adjustable frequencies - at least at my ear level.

Attachment 1106415
Wow, thanks for this, the sound is now 1000 times better. Factory settings is horrible. Which app exactly did you use?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
Wow, thanks for this, the sound is now 1000 times better. Factory settings is horrible. Which app exactly did you use?
RTA by Andrew Smith on an iPad mini.