E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Option Selection

01-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Option Selection

I made a couple of option decisions on the E92 I just ordered that I wanted to run by you folks. I felt that a couple of the packages had more things than I thought worthwhile, so I just got most of my options "a-la-carte"

1) Cold Weather Package:
I opted out of the cold weather package and got the heated seats seperate. I saved $100 without the ski bag. Was there anything else included in the CWP that the website didn't mention?

2) Premium Package:
The only thing I wanted in the Premium Package was the autodimming/compass mirror, and that didn't feel like it was worth four digits I hate BMW Assist, and I don't care for the lumbar support (I got the sport seats anyway - do they even have the lumbar in those?). I picked the leather anyways, so this was about $1000 of options I didn't need. Is there anything else that I'll not get by picking the leather seats seperate?

3) The Ipod/USB selection is a bit confusing.
On the options page and accessories page for build your own, they are listed twice and with different prices. I want the USB Connection for my flash drive, but i don't need the Ipod proprietary harness. So if I'm just concerned with having the USB connection, and not the IPod specific harness, which one do I pick - The $400 "option", or the $320 "accessory?"

4) Same as 3 with the Sirius Radio. There is a $500 option and a $600 accessory. Is this a mistake? FWIW I want Sirius.

I just ordered the car, and now I'm wondering if i screwed up. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

1) cold weather package also has headlight washers that come in handy if you are in snow
2) you will be missing out of bluetooth without the premium package
3) not sure, but y do you need to plug in a flash drive? perhaps just use the "aux input" that is included and plug in an mp3 player
4) not sure
      01-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Excellent. Looks like I didn't screw anything up.

As for #3, I want to run my digital music via IDrive, and I thought the USB plug was only an option. Is it standard and only the wire / adapter for hte IPod is the option?

The salesman said the USB slot was an option to me...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

#1: Only the ski bag, like you said

#2: The $1100 difference includes self-dimming mirrors (rear-view and both side), and also Bluetooth, which is great, and possibly power-fold-in side mirrors (not sure about that)

#3: If you want the USB port you want the "Option", which is dealer code 6FL. Just for information, the "Accessory" is for iPods only and is a dealer install that replaces the cd changer.

#4: If you want it factory installed, you want to again order the "Option". The car is prewired for Sirius, so the accessory can be ordered after the fact. But if you buy the aftermarket one, you'll spend more than the $100 difference with dealer install costs.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

As another poster noted above, the headlight washers are also included in the CWP. I think they're mostly regarded as a nuisance in the US, though they seem to be a legal requirement in Europe with Xenons. I would not pass up the Premium Package if it were me, just because of the bluetooth. However, if you add a high-end portable GSP like the Garmin nüvi 600 series, you can get bluetooth that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Rob Gurwitz
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Headlight washers are standard on the 328/335xi Coupe in NA as of 2008. The only thing the cold package buys you over the heated seats option is the ski bag.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
ElRedOne
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi, '06 Z4M

Not sure, but I believe the fold-down rear seats are also part of the package along w/the ski bag.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

you can plug in a key drive through he 6fl...like a keystone thumb drive if that's what your asking and personally i view premium, sport , and cold weather options as a MUST for this car!!!! i plus you get a lot of it back when you sell the car!! it does improve the value and make it easier to sell with those options!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRedOne View Post
Not sure, but I believe the fold-down rear seats are also part of the package along w/the ski bag.
Fold down rear seats are standard in e92's

Unless you've ordered an XI, you will not get the PITA headlight washers (in addition to not getting the ski sack) without cold weather pkg.
      01-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I thought about the resale, but with BMW, I'm not too concerned because I have the important options (that I consider important, anyways). I doubt I'll take a huge hit for not having a ski-bag or lamp washer nozzles (waste in my opinion). I got heated seats, the USB connection, nav, sport pkg + 18" sport wheels, aero kit, leather, etc.

Blue Tooth and the dimming mirrors I'd prefer, but not for thousands of dollars. I might do the rearview mirror later if i can grab one, but i'm not too concerned. Plus, I have BT on my blackberry already.

Thanks for all the help folks! Great forum here, as good as any I've been a member on.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I opted out of the Cool weather package but got the fold down rear seat with ski bag, the fold down seat was more important can not tell you how many time I used that feature in my other car.

Do not like the rump roast cookers, I have been in a number of car which had this feature and recently have 335xi loaner with them and the problem I found with them is they make your butt sweat, in the case of the BMW your back too since the back is also heated. So when you get out of a hot seat with sweaty ass and back and it is really cold out you get the chills, the worst way to stay warm is to be all sweaty. I rather be a little cold for 5 or 10 until the car warms out then being cold when walking down the street after getting out of the car.

Definitely do not like the headlight washers, no matter what, those come on every time you clean the windshield and the keep spraying after the window is done and get spots all over the hood.

I got the premium package for a number of reasons, first the leather seats, they are so much better than the leatherette, which was in the xi loaner, the leather seats are much softer then the leatherette. Having the BMW assist is worth having to the first 4 yrs, it a nice feature to have especially if you have a problem on the road. Plus if you do not want after 4yrs you can drop and it no cost to you.

Next is getting the bluetooth for hands free phone calls, this is one feature I use all the time.

I got the sport seats since I got the sport package and they have the lumbar support and I have to tell you it is the first car I sat in which they actually did a good job with it, not only can you inflate it, it let you move it up and down to hit you right in the lower part of your back where you need it on a long trip. If you do not drive any distance it is probably not worth having. Ever car I have ever driven that has this feature and I drove long distance in it makes your back feels so much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I would not pass up the Premium Package if it were me, just because of the bluetooth. However, if you add a high-end portable GSP like the Garmin nüvi 600 series, you can get bluetooth that way.

Even thought this is true, I have GPS unit with bluetooth and handsfree they generally do not work as well as the one in the BMW. The BWM echo cancellation is far better and it plays through the stereo speaker, so it turns down your music when you place or receive a call. This does not work with a GPS unit, plus their sound quality is not that great.

This is one of thing I feel BMW did a really good job of and it works well, expect for the fact you have not way to enter a "Pause" into a dial string for dealing with auto-attendants phone systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I thought about the resale, but with BMW, I'm not too concerned because I have the important options (that I consider important, anyways).
As far as resale is concerned what matters is the opinion of the future buyer and not yourself. I believe premium package is considered by many people de facto standard equipment which BMW happens to charge you extra for - it's a bit ridiculous that bluetooth and other goodies are options on a 40-50K car. Therefore if you get a car without it, the vehicle will take a hit in resale value since so many 3 series have premium package.

But if resale value is not important to you then it's no big deal. Except that the bluetooth functionality is pretty cool especially when it is seamlessly incorporated into the car and audio system. Comfort access is a good option and I think most people would recommend this.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I kinda like the headlight washers. They look cool.....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Estoril MSport Wagon

Remeber to look at what phones pair with BMW bluetooth. My treo is a no go...sucks.

As for the headlight washers...a great way to mess up a fairly clean car.

Also I think the sedan and coupe are different as far as the split back rear seat. Sedan...Cold weather is the only way to get that option...coupe, as said above, is standard.

Agree the heated seats go from too hot to way too hot. Wish there was a 'bun warmer' setting rather than just a 'burn your ass' setting.

Goonski

PS - If you pull back on the washers and hold for a second or so, it will spray the windshield only, and not activate the headlight washers.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
i bought a new e91 328xi last month, I basically had 3 cars to choose from on the dealer lots in the area. one of those did not have premium pkg, I decided to get one that did.

I'm really glad I did, I have since discovered the joys of bluetooth, which seems to work great with both my personal phone and my work blackberry 8830. And to think I went w/ this package for the seats and the BMW assist originally.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
You guys rock. This thread allayed all my fears about my option selection. Waiting for her to get here is driving me BATTY.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
I made a couple of option decisions on the E92 I just ordered that I wanted to run by you folks. I felt that a couple of the packages had more things than I thought worthwhile, so I just got most of my options "a-la-carte"

1) Cold Weather Package:
I opted out of the cold weather package and got the heated seats seperate. I saved $100 without the ski bag. Was there anything else included in the CWP that the website didn't mention?

2) Premium Package:
The only thing I wanted in the Premium Package was the autodimming/compass mirror, and that didn't feel like it was worth four digits I hate BMW Assist, and I don't care for the lumbar support (I got the sport seats anyway - do they even have the lumbar in those?). I picked the leather anyways, so this was about $1000 of options I didn't need. Is there anything else that I'll not get by picking the leather seats seperate?

3) The Ipod/USB selection is a bit confusing.
On the options page and accessories page for build your own, they are listed twice and with different prices. I want the USB Connection for my flash drive, but i don't need the Ipod proprietary harness. So if I'm just concerned with having the USB connection, and not the IPod specific harness, which one do I pick - The $400 "option", or the $320 "accessory?"

4) Same as 3 with the Sirius Radio. There is a $500 option and a $600 accessory. Is this a mistake? FWIW I want Sirius.

I just ordered the car, and now I'm wondering if i screwed up. Thanks for the help.

1) You live in Boston you might want to reconsider
2) Not a biggy but most people on the east coast get the Prem Package
3 & 4) i think the BMW page is still buggy
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Definitely do not like the headlight washers, no matter what, those come on every time you clean the windshield and the keep spraying after the window is done and get spots all over the hood.
Not exactly. The headlight washers activate every third time you wash the windshield on a given trip: the first time, the fourth time, etc. I don't often find them useful, but when in salty winter-storm driving they do make a big difference.

The headlight washers are on their own circuit. Just pull the fuse in the summer when you take off the snow tires. If you don't get enough snow in the winter to warrant snow tires, then you probably don't need headlight washers either.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by having BT on your blackberry "already"; BT on your phone is a pre-requisite for the Bluetooth carkit, not an alternative. I'm a huge fan of the BMW Bluetooth setup, though there's still some room for improvement. Having it is definitely better than not, unless you plan on replacing your head unit or retrofitting some other Bluetooth solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent
1) You live in Boston you might want to reconsider
I got the heated seats, and the only other option the CWP offers is a ski bag... So why do you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by having BT on your blackberry "already"; BT on your phone is a pre-requisite for the Bluetooth carkit, not an alternative.
Sounds like headlight washers are standard on my car anyways, so they're a non issue.

I have BT on my blackberry with an ear piece. it certainly is an alternative, I've been using it for 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
hkkuf
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 Monaco Grey Step

If you still can, I'd add comfort access to your car.
It's one option I thought I wouldn't want (I actually thought it was for the lazy people), but the more I read about it the more I regret not getting it. I know there are some problems with it and people say if you never had it, you wouldn't care about it. But I think with the current BMW set up having push button start, it makes sense to get it. Also if you are thinking resale value, it might be a good addition. By the time you sell, I think this keyless entry thing will be pretty common thing.
Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #22
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Sounds like headlight washers are standard on my car anyways, so they're a non issue.
Head light washers are standard on Xi vehicles.

You made the same choices I did except I went with the Monster power cable and an audio patch cord for the Ipod since I just play shuffle mode all the time.

Just to let you know, I haven't regretted my choices for one minute. Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 0