Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

10-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '15 X5 35D

Winter wheels a necessity in DC?

OK, let me preface this by saying that, if I don't plan to do the wheel and tire swap out, then I am going to garage this car (if I ever receive it - stuck in limbo) when it snows / sleets / freezing rains. With that aside, how necessary are the winter wheels and / or tires in the DC metro area? Is the temperature range low enough and harsh enough on the rubber to warrant a swap out?

And if so, what are most folks doing? New tires onto existing OEM wheels or all new wheel and tire combos?

This is also my DD btw, so no chance it can be garaged all winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

If its your DD, I don't see how you can not have a separate winter set. It has little to do with snow/ice and more about the actual temperature. Summer tires below 40* is NOT a good idea for you or anyone else on the road.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhoo View Post
OK, let me preface this by saying that, if I don't plan to do the wheel and tire swap out, then I am going to garage this car (if I ever receive it - stuck in limbo) when it snows / sleets / freezing rains. With that aside, how necessary are the winter wheels and / or tires in the DC metro area? Is the temperature range low enough and harsh enough on the rubber to warrant a swap out?

And if so, what are most folks doing? New tires onto existing OEM wheels or all new wheel and tire combos?

This is also my DD btw, so no chance it can be garaged all winter.

Well, its 50/50. You will need winter tires or all seasons. YOU WILL NOT, be able to drive it on snow/ice with summer tires. There is NO traction. When its cold, the tire material gets super hard and as the temp drops the tire actually isn't sticky. The winter tire is the opposite as it gets colder the traction gets better.

All Season will work, however if your going to do the swap in the summer to the factory summer tires. Just go get winters, because they perform so much better when it gets cold and the roads get slick.

You can find winter tires that fit the stock rims. I would check tire-rack, they do have some in stock for the 19s. Unsure of the 18s, but I am sure they can work something out.

I myself have only had RWD cars and just do winter/summer tires and haven't had any issues. An will do OEM rims with winter tires staggered.

Now you can get all technical and do other rims sizes, square setup vs staggered. But, it can get complicated.

Yeah its goanna cost 1500 bucks for tires, but its better than A) Getting it totaled or B) being that guy in the sports car in the snow stuck and no is stopping, because your a dump ass.

An once you get a set of winters, you realize what you have been missing in the cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is what I suspected but people who have summer tires on 19" wheels keep telling me they never swap them out bc DC is not cold enough. Didn't seem to make total sense to me, which is why I'm asking.

Looks like winter tires it is...DocW, so your putting winter tires on your stock 19s? I've been following the winter tire thread on the main boards and had considered getting a full setup as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is what I suspected but people who have summer tires on 19" wheels keep telling me they never swap them out bc DC is not cold enough. Didn't seem to make total sense to me, which is why I'm asking.

Looks like winter tires it is...DocW, so your putting winter tires on your stock 19s? I've been following the winter tire thread on the main boards and had considered getting a full setup as well.
The performance of summer tires start to degrade after something like 50-60degrees. I bet when it snows they keep it parked, and have many o shit moments in colder weather.

Yeah in Vermont currently and summer tires are no dice, last yr it was -30 and they don't know what a snow plow is. An yes, will be putting them on the stock 19s, thought about getting a winter rim set, but in 18 winter months I will be on to something else.

Currently per tire rack and my online searching this is the only "Set" that fits the OEM 19s

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks DocW, will check those out. Sadly, my car is stuck in Germany due to some wheel retrofit issue. So seems like the winter tires will go on as soon as I get it...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks DocW, will check those out. Sadly, my car is stuck in Germany due to some wheel retrofit issue. So seems like the winter tires will go on as soon as I get it...

Sorry to hear that, hopefully it is done/fixed quickly. Have you been checking the shipping websites to see if its shipped? Or per BMW its still sitting for wheel retrofit?

An it will be worth it... Hoo
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Quote:

Sorry to hear that, hopefully it is done/fixed quickly. Have you been checking the shipping websites to see if its shipped? Or per BMW its still sitting for wheel retrofit?

An it will be worth it... Hoo
For a while they couldn't even tell me anything other than that it is at the port. I've been following up daily and just learned today that it'll be delayed 9-10 weeks (yesterday they said 6-8). Love the brand, hate the experience. Asking them if they'll just swap out the black 19s for the ferric grey ones instead, as that seems to be the hold up. Other posters have said that's a no-go but we'll see. I'm sure it'll be great once it's here but hard to maintain perspective right now. Need to get a drink...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
A Drink from afar

Sorry to hear that, but I think BMW NA will do you right in the end, especially if this effects hundreds of cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
robertg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

This thread has got me thinking maybe I should get some winter tires.

Have a set of VMR 701's from my 335i so I am guessing they would suffice.

Question what is a good brand of winter tires? Tirerack is showing a set of Pirelli 245/265 Winter Sottozero Serie II like a previous poster stated.

Any other winter brands? I don't care about the TPMS and don't want to swap tires off the stock black 19's due to fear of damage during mounting and balancing at various shops in the area.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
A Drink from afar

Sorry to hear that, but I think BMW NA will do you right in the end, especially if this effects hundreds of cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post

Question what is a good brand of winter tires? Tirerack is showing a set of Pirelli 245/265 Winter Sottozero Serie II like a previous poster stated.

Any other winter brands? I don't care about the TPMS and don't want to swap tires off the stock black 19's due to fear of damage during mounting and balancing at various shops in the area.
There are many many makers of winter tires. Issues currently are the rims on the M3 are pretty unique in size.

If you want to use your VMRs your going to have to make sure the tire fits and clears the braking system or if it can even fit the 18s or 19s.

Here are a few decent treads, problems people are finding.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=512
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post

I've had a lot of success with Bridgestone Blizzaks and Continental DWS. Both are very good winter setups and usually cheaper than Pirelli and Michelin winter tires if cost is an issue.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

I think they are a must if you are going to drive the car year round. I had a winter setup for my Porsche and was able to enjoy the car year round. (I just sold my Porsche winter setup last week). I am also going to go with a factory set up so if I want to resell should be easier. As posted earlier, the real problem right now is the rear tire. There are not a lot of options in the correct size. I had Michelin Pilot Alpin (?) on the Porsche and they were great. I was on the phone with Tire Rack yesterday and may be forced to go with all season tires if I stay with 19's. 18's have a few more options for tires but still not great. But I would not drive in temps below 35-40 with the summer tires or be prepared to slide a bit. This happened with a 315HP Boxster S so I cannot image the trouble you could get yourself into with 400+ HP in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insureit1 View Post
I think they are a must if you are going to drive the car year round. I had a winter setup for my Porsche and was able to enjoy the car year round. (I just sold my Porsche winter setup last week). I am also going to go with a factory set up so if I want to resell should be easier. As posted earlier, the real problem right now is the rear tire. There are not a lot of options in the correct size. I had Michelin Pilot Alpin (?) on the Porsche and they were great. I was on the phone with Tire Rack yesterday and may be forced to go with all season tires if I stay with 19's. 18's have a few more options for tires but still not great. But I would not drive in temps below 35-40 with the summer tires or be prepared to slide a bit. This happened with a 315HP Boxster S so I cannot image the trouble you could get yourself into with 400+ HP in the M3.
Tirerack has Pirelli Winter tires in stock, I had them on my f10 550i and they where great.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insureit1 View Post
18s > 19s for winter

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Tirerack has Pirelli Winter tires in stock, I had them on my f10 550i and they where great.
Good to know, thanks. That has been my biggest hang up right now is the Pirelli vs Michelin. Was going to just order tires and have them mounted but I think I will order a set of wheels and tires already mounted and just bolt them on. This has been what I have always done in the past and just need to place the order.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Make sure, an double make sure whatever package you do get, it fits. I had the dealer quote BMW 18 spec rims installed came out to 2800. I did get a quote from my local tires shop and they contacted tire rack, and worked out an 18in package at 1900 dollars installed out the door. In the end I ended up just going with the factory 19s and Pirelli' and it was $1800 dollars. I know, I failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
chhatre9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I was told that Blizzaks should fit the 19s....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
milpar34
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 (SO/BLK)

I just ordered VMR 19s with a set of blizzaks from Mitch at VMR. Very knowledgeable and helpful.
2008 E60 528i - Space Grey / BLK (RETIRED)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
bmwhoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just ordered the 640M setup. Now I just need the car...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #22
justinstephen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M4

Garage List
It's strange that TireRack doesn't list the Blizzaks when you do a search for tires fitting the M3/M4. They do seem to have the correct tires in both 255/35 and 275/35:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true

Any reason TireRack wouldn't list the Blizzaks as a possibility if the tire size is the same?
Appreciate 0