THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Run Flats to Non Run Flats

10-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

Run Flats to Non Run Flats

Has any had any experience with swapping out their Run Flats with Non Run Flats? I am hearing conflicting statements. I understand that BMW calibrated the car to run flats and that going to non run flats will effect the handling of the vehicle.

I know that non run flats have a more compliant sidewalls. My concern is that if I swap over to non run flats, I'll negatively change the characteristics of the car.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Switched them out on my 1 series and loved the change......just do it and don't look back
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Changed out my E92 335i when I had it. No negative change in the handling expect the ride was much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

No issues whatsoever. I did that on my E90 335i and the difference was night and day without a single negative issue.

I really doubt that whole calibrated to the vehicle based on runflats part. I have also heard that BMW designs the wheels for runflats. Those are all things you'd hear from a dealer but are not true.

How exactly would a vehicle be calibrated to a specific kind of tire? Also, given that on the 228i/235i you have a choice of runflats or non-runflats on the exact same wheels, what is being calibrated?

The only thing that can be calibrated is your speedometer based on the size of tire you run. So, if you stick with the same size tires, your car will run the exact same.

A tire is a tire. Runflats run while they are flat. Non-runflats leave you stranded but run much smoother and quieter. It's as simple as that. The car has tire pressure sensors that work the same way without regard for the type of tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
snodgrass23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
I really doubt that whole calibrated to the vehicle based on runflats part. I have also heard that BMW designs the wheels for runflats. Those are all things you'd hear from a dealer but are not true.
Yeap. They were trying to sell me on them too when I picked up my car, until I informed them my car did not come with them. The only thing to consider when switching tires is I think your rear wheels aren't as wide as if you'd have gotten the summer tires from the start, so that may affect the sizes you run when buying new tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback and your experience.
In terms of calibration.... needed to hear from the community if there was any notable differences in terms of handling and performance.

Since when engineers determine spring rates, bushing hardness and geometry of the suspension, tires play a role in that. Since run flats have a stiffer and less compliant sidewall, my concern had to do with upsetting that calibration to a point where the ride and noise quality would be better with non run flats.

My appreciation to all who have made the swap and have not noticed any negative outcomes.
Appreciate 0