E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Ring of Death

12-31-2007, 03:56 AM   #1
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Ring of Death

Has anyone had the 3 light hardware failure on a xbox 360?

Mine is 14 months old and has just packed up. I see that MS extended the warranty to 3 years for this type of failure but have read that you should pursue the original retailer first under the Sale of Goods Act.

Anyone been through this?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
you should pursue the original retailer first under the Sale of Goods Act.

nope , i cant help there im a Playstation Man ( PS3 )

but i imagine that if you purchased it from the retailer and it specifically said ''3 year warranty'' on the box then i would be straight back to them, as the balls in their court legally. However they might say that theyre standard guarantee is only valid for a year and that MS provide the further 2 years lets hope theyre gonna be helpful either way

hope you get it sorted out mate

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

No - MS took the hit and extended the warranty after all the early machines brokedown.

The argument with the retailer is that the goods arenot of merchantable quality due to the inherent defect.

The problem with dealing with MS directly is that, in 2 years time, you will be left high and dry when it breaks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Warranties are totally separate to your statutory rights and the sale of goods act.

The sale of goods act requires that goods be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. So they need to work as described and be reasonably reliable. The retailer is responsible for ensuring that this is the case for all goods they sell.

Generally speaking you would expect an expensive bit of electronics to last 3-5 years, so you do have an argument with the retailer that they may have been defective when sold. However, after 14 months this is going to be a difficult argument to win without resorting to the small claims court.

Warranties are in addition to the above and are offered directly by either the manufacturer or the retailer. A warranty claim is not a claim that the goods were defective when sold.

For warranty claims you go to the person offering the warranty - in this case microsoft. If it breaks again in 2 years then you will have had 3.5 years service from the console, which is probably reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

I think there's a microsoft phone number to call outside of 12months - it was in the box mine came in. I'll dig it out if you want.

Not going to be an issue getting it sorted, surely, everyone knows they go wrong. No need to quote the sale of goods act...
      12-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I've had to replace 2 of 'em! I had no problem just taking it back or sending it back to the place I bought it and getting a new one delivered.
      12-31-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Mine's got fault E67 and one red ring of light - bought in April 06 so no warranty.... Understand the 3 rings issue is though.

Just minutes ago registered mine through the xbox360 website to get it repaired and it'll cost £57 MS give the number 0800 587 1102 to dispute warranty claims so now that I've got things in motion (they're sending a box etc for it), that's my next avenue.

Good luck Evil
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Shit, ive just got one of these, hope mine dont pack upsay

good luck sorting it tonewah
      12-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

A claim on the extended warranty should not be an issue for this fault but, if I go down this route, the life of the machine is likely to be 3 - 4 years max as the replacement machines sent are refurbs following previous exchanges and will have the same defect.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
A claim on the extended warranty should not be an issue for this fault but, if I go down this route, the life of the machine is likely to be 3 - 4 years max as the replacement machines sent are refurbs following previous exchanges and will have the same defect.
If you go down the sale of goods act route you would have to argue that the goods were faulty at the point of sale. If this is a widespread issue acknowledged by microsoft, then you have a good argument that this was the case. (I didn't realise this was a known issue when I posted before).

If you bought from a high street store you could march in and demand a replacement. I think they will argue but there is every chance that they will agree to give you one just to get you out of the shop.

If they won't budge then you can do the head office complaint thing and ultimately small claims court. Many large companies lack the resources to contest small claims and often people win because the company forgets to return forms on time etc.. Unfortunately, this is also a lot of hassle for you.

I'd have a go at returning it to the shop - nothing to lose by trying.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Should be an easy replacement - my mate is on his 3rd, two other mates on their second!

Problem is caused by crap fans fitted by microsoft as I understand it?

All of the retailers will have had LOTS of experience of this and will have a standard returns policy or at least advice on how they deal with faulty X-boxes when returned to them!

Call back at the shop and see what they say!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Problem is caused by crap fans fitted by microsoft as I understand it?
Can't be that crap, mine are so loud they seem powerful enough to lift the xbox up...
      12-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe.Racer View Post
Can't be that crap, mine are so loud they seem powerful enough to lift the xbox up...
newer ones (HDMI equiped) have a bigger heat sink and a better fan - has helped matters somewhat.

If you google 'xbox failure' it will highlight the many thousands of failures - was rumoured up to 60% but I think about 30-39% is the more common failure figure quoted on more 'official; pages.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xb...ers-271487.php

My mate has been doing quite a bit of research now he is on his 3rd, lol. Thats why there are so many aftermarket fan kits available.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
My sons went straight to Microsofts authorised repair facility in Havant Hampshire and a refurbed unit was sent back all under warranty. The fix replaced the fans and heat sink as already mentioned, so the replacement units should be more reliable.

The pcb inside got so hot that soldered joints melted causing open circuits!

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #15
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Has anyone had the 3 light hardware failure on a xbox 360?

Mine is 14 months old and has just packed up. I see that MS extended the warranty to 3 years for this type of failure but have read that you should pursue the original retailer first under the Sale of Goods Act.

Mine failed at 90 days in and I took it back to Gamestation (the retailer) and got a replacement immediately. Just remember, if you go back to the retailer, to keep your hard drive, as this contains your GamerTag and saved games. If your retailer is unhelpful, quoting 12 month warranty, then I guess you should contact Microsoft.

Microsoft published this Open Letter from Peter Moore regarding the extension of the warranty. (Former VP Microsoft Interactive Entertainment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Letter from Peter Moore

To our Xbox Community:

You've spoken, and we’ve heard you. Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about. And frankly, we've not been doing a good enough job.

Some of you have expressed frustration with the customer experiences you have had with Xbox 360; frustration with having to return your console for service after receiving the general hardware error message on the console.

The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out. But when anyone questions the reliability of our product, or our commitment to our customers, it's something I take very seriously.

We have been following this issue closely, and with on-going testing have identified several factors that can cause a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

We are also implementing some important policy changes intended to keep you in the game, worry-free.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience.

If we have let any of you down in the experience you have had with your Xbox 360, we sincerely apologize. We are taking responsibility and are making these changes to ensure that every Xbox 360 owner continues to have a great experience.

This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.

I want to thank you, on behalf of all us at Microsoft, for your loyalty.
More advice here:
Warranty Update
Warranty FAQ
      01-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
newer ones (HDMI equiped) have a bigger heat sink and a better fan - has helped matters somewhat.

If you google 'xbox failure' it will highlight the many thousands of failures - was rumoured up to 60% but I think about 30-39% is the more common failure figure quoted on more 'official; pages.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/xb...ers-271487.php

My mate has been doing quite a bit of research now he is on his 3rd, lol. Thats why there are so many aftermarket fan kits available.
Only the very latest elites or any hdmi equipped 360 have the new smaller architecture chipsets which allow them to run cooler. My elite is still on the original architecture and as such, runs as loud and as hot as my first 2 standard 360's.

"The new non-overheating 360's are apparently on the shelves - you can't tell with a quick look if there is any difference. Found this info that may help though:-

If you buy instore and ask to see the label on the side of the box, you can guarantee to get the newest FALCON chipset (which runs cooler and uses the new 65nm processor) if it says 175W on the same label that has the lot number on!

History:

Initially it was difficult to tell if you were buying a new Falcon chipset 360 or and old Zephyr chipset(the one which

overheats) as they initially used 203W power supplies on both.

Now, microsoft are shipping all Falcone chipset consoles with the 175W power supplies as the chipset draws less power than the Zephyr Chipset. The Zephyr chipset(remember NASTY chipset) can not run on a 175W power supply! so it you see 175W on the side of the pack, you have yourself the latest, cool running FALCON 360.

Hope this helps all those looking for the best quality 360 on the market at the moment."
      01-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
-Mine was bought dec. will min ebe the newer i-drive xbox?
      01-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #18
baggerben
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: volvo s70 t5,for now.335i soon

no joke i'm in xbox number 11. the 3 red rings of death will be coveredd bu microsoft at n/c. call 1-800-4my-xbox. its a real pita. they are going to have you check the color on the power supply and other stuff. then they will send you a special box to ship it back. then in 2-3 weeks you'll get a reman 360 from microsoft and a 1 free xbox live card. the reman boxes are then covered for 3 months. i do not use mine everyday. but when i'm playings its usually for a few hours.

only the 3 rings of death are covered. some of my prior units have had this,dvd drive failures,and the on i have now at times wil not reconize i have a xbox 360. when loading games into it,a warning message come on and says to insert the 360 game into a 360.

it sucks the dame thing is 400.00 and thay are all crap.
after you get a return auth from mictosoft. you can do the next few steps to reset it until the replacement gets to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
baggerben
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: volvo s70 t5,for now.335i soon

turn the unit on. wrap it in a towl. the unit will get hot enough and it will warp a chip back into place. then at least you can still play unit you ship it back to microsoft.
be pateint. dealing with indians who can just speak english is a major pita.
hope this helps.
baggerben
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
My experience has taught me one lesson:

Though the 360 has some great games I should have just waited for the PS3
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #21
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I got the ring of death, called Xbox support, and I got a brand new Xbox even though the warranty had expired. Looks like if you got the ring of death, the warranty is 3-years.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #22
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
uk offer - £99 for 360 arcade at sainsburys if you want one.