E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tips for Vishnu's software?

12-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Tips for Vishnu's software?

I have gotten everything loaded but want to know what all I can do with this software.....a couple of glaring questions are:

- how do I check and see what settings are optimum (torque settings, etc)?

- how do I do any type of logging?

any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
I have gotten everything loaded but want to know what all I can do with this software.....a couple of glaring questions are:

- how do I check and see what settings are optimum (torque settings, etc)?

- how do I do any type of logging?

any other suggestions?
As of now you can only make changes to % of torque you lay down. to determine what % you should set it at you must use datalogs and see what your peak boost is. You should keep it as close(below) to 15psi as possible from what I understand. The % you can raise it to depends on the octane of gas you use. If you frequent a race gas then you can raiseit to 100% across the board (96+ octane, the higher the octane the better). On 91 octane it is usually 90 - 92%, 93 octane is usually 92 - 94%. Out of the box(when you load the v2 map), you are defaulted @ 90%.

To datalog you need to have a laptop plugged into the serial port connector on your v2 that runs through the glovebox into the car. Not sure on the exact method as I do not have v2 yet.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98753

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Ok guys... give it a read if you can. Let me know if there is anything that is confusing or unclear. I want to make sure everything is good in this respect before we release the map. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.... shiv

--------------------------

Version 2.0.2
Read Me

Please note that there are two version of this map (v2.0.2 6AT and v2.0.2 b6MT). They are for Steptronic and Manual transmission respectively. Please run the appropriate map for you particular application. Running the wrong map will induce drivability issues and potentially trigger diagnostic trouble codes.

How to Upload
Upload this map like any other map using the PROcede user software.

User Maps
Do not make any adjustments to the User Adjustable Torque map before uploading. The default settings are calibrated to provide smooth and consistent power delivery on a stock 335i/xi. It is recommended that you run these default settings for at least 50 miles before modifying any setting.

Adjusting User Torque Table
The default settings are 90% across the board (at all engine speeds). This is the suggested setting if you want a conservative tune. With these settings, boost pressure will be approximately 10-11psi until 4500RPM and gradually ramping up to a peak of 12-13psi by 5500RPM. These settings will provide approximately 340-350whp (or 380 to 390bhp) on an otherwise stock car, running pump gas. If this is good enough for you, you can skip to section about Fuel Requirements.

For even greater performance, the User Torque table can be adjusted upwards. To do this safely, you will need to monitor maximum boost pressure. Preferably with someone else driving your car and your laptop on your lap with the communication cable running through your window. Boost pressure is displayed (in PSI) in the User Software. The maximum allowable boost, at full throttle, should be no greater than 14-14.5psi at 5500RPM. If you chose to run this maximum allowable boost pressure, you will need to raise the values in the User Torque table. Do this by adding just 2% across the board (at all engine speeds). After this adjustment, measure boost by conducting 3rd gear, full throttle pulls from 3000 to 7000RPM. Do these pulls 3 or 4 times to ensure complete ECU adaptation. If the desired boost pressure is still not achieved, you can add another 2%. And test again (with several runs). To make fine adjustments to peak boost pressure, 1% increments (in either direction) can be made. To achieve the maximum allowable 14.5-15psi at 5500RPM, you may ultimately end up with 94-96% across the board. This is normal. Do NOT arbitrarily set all values to 100%. This is bad. It can cause engine damage.

More About Boost Pressures
If you don’t have a boost gauge, you will need to temporarily monitor boost using the PROcede software (and your laptop). It is important to realize that this boost reading comes from a boost pressure sensor which is located in the upper intercooler pipe, NOT in the intake manifold. As such, the boost readings will be subject to short term spikes upon sudden throttle openings and closures. Ignore these pressure spikes. It does not represent the pressure in the intake manifold. Boost will also 1-2psi fluctuate depending on ambient temperature. On colder nights, boost pressure may be slightly lower. On warmer days, slightly higher. But regardless of conditions, the maximum safe boost pressure of 14.5-15psi at 5500-6000RPM still applies. It is normal for boost to taper down to 12-13psi by 6500RPM.

If you do have a boost gauge installed, make sure that the boost signal is coming from the signal line used by the bypass valves. Also, make sure the gauge is properly calibrated. It must read 0psi with the ignition on the “ON” position (but engine not running). Many inexpensive mechanical boost gauges (Autometer... cough cough) are often hopelessly inaccurate and can provide false data.

Fuel Requirements
As always, you must run premium grade fuel with this map. In CA (and some other states) the best gas available is 91 octane. If this applies to you, you can run this gas. Just make sure you use a reputable gas station. Brands we found to work the best (in California) are Shell and 76. In most other US states, 93-94 octane is available. If this is the case where you live, you must use it. Use a reputable brand as well (no Costco, Rotten Robbie, etc.) Running substandard fuel can result in drivability issues and even engine damage. For those who live in other countries, please note that US octane ratings are different than your octane ratings. Since they are not measured on the same scale, you must take care in choosing the appropriate fuel. Due to the difference in rating technique, the nominal octane rating will be much higher than the 91-94 octane we get here in the US.

It is perfectly acceptable to run high octane race fuels (Unleaded only!) with your PROcede. Mixing pump and race gas is also fine. Doing so will result in high power output and improved engine response. When running a higher octane race gas mixture, is also possible to raise boost pressures beyond the 14.5-15psi maximum pressure specified above. Additional instructions will be provided for doing just that in due time. For now, however, do not exceed the suggested boost limit.

Drag Racing/Road Racing
Although v2.0.2 is suitable for pump gas, additional performance can be had by running high octane race fuel. Even without any changes to the User Torque table. For optimal drag racing results, run with 1/4 tank of unleaded race fuel. To do this, run your tank down to the point where you dash computer says you have 0 miles left (don't worry, you actually have 10-20 miles left). Then add 5 gallons of unleaded race gas (VP109 works great!). Before running the car at the strip, do some 3rd gear pulls on the highway. This will allow the ECU to adapt for the higher octane. This will yield noticeable power gains. For road racing, it is advisable to run at least a 50/50 mixture of race gas and pump gas. This is because of the sustained thermal loading your car will be subject to during hot-lapping conditions. The race gas mixture will prevent ignition timing retard caused by elevated intake charge temps. This will keep the car running more consistently and cooler.

Vehicles with Additional Upgrades
If you have other upgrades on your vehicle (downpipes, intake, etc,.), the following information may be useful:

Downpipes: This upgrade may induce boost spiking due to the elimination of back-pressure in the exhaust system. It is recommended that you leave the default torque settings alone until a downpipe-specific map is supplied by us.

Upgraded intakes: Direct replacement ITG air filters have been shown to be worth 7-10whp over the stock unit when running v2.0.2. It is a worthwhile upgrade. We have them in stock. If you want one, call us Cone filters have been shown to be worth even more power at the expense of extra induction noise and a non-stock underhood appearance. We have a system under development.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

+2
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0