ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
aperng
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 MW/SO 6MT

BMW Online just upgraded! Everyone should notice this

For those who go online to get the news daily (like I do while driving to work in bad traffic), it seems the BMW servers were upgraded - the news feed is now from Reuters and is providing full length articles instead of just 1 or 2 sentences. They also added PICTURES! It's totally awesome, check it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperng View Post
For those who go online to get the news daily (like I do while driving to work in bad traffic), it seems the BMW servers were upgraded - the news feed is now from Reuters and is providing full length articles instead of just 1 or 2 sentences. They also added PICTURES! It's totally awesome, check it out.
Trying to find something relating to in car M4 internet google searches with connected drive, do you pay for that service and how do you like it?

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Trying to find something relating to in car M4 internet google searches with connected drive, do you pay for that service and how do you like it?
It is standard for 3yrs in the F80/82.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is standard for 3yrs in the F80/82.
I actually meant this and have not seen much mention on this site regarding FULL internet, and although my f13 has just google search it doesnt have sim carded full internet, what I am talking about is new, and as BMW puts it

ONLINE ON THE MOVE.
Internet.
If things should take a little longer, BMW ConnectedDrive shortens your waiting time. Your can surf the World Wide Web while out and about. The Internet is there wherever you are.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

BMW Online is free for 3 years.

Full Internet is in Europe however I have it coded in a CIC-iDrive so I would guess that it may be coded in the F80/82 NBT-iDrive.

It is useless though. It is better to use your phone.

Quote:
I actually meant this and have not seen much mention on this site regarding FULL internet, and although my f13 has just google search it doesnt have sim carded full internet, what I am talking about is new, and as BMW puts it

ONLINE ON THE MOVE.
Internet.
If things should take a little longer, BMW ConnectedDrive shortens your waiting time. Your can surf the World Wide Web while out and about. The Internet is there wherever you are.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sim Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
BMW Online is free for 3 years.

Full Internet is in Europe however I have it coded in a CIC-iDrive so I would guess that it may be coded in the F80/82 NBT-iDrive.

It is useless though. It is better to use your phone.
Wow I believed this to be new and amazing, are we talking about the same thing? They describe it like this, it's 100.00 a year for the service and its full I-drive internet and described like this..one part of these basic features is the special equipment option BMW TeleServices (6AE) including a permanently installed SIM card.

The SIM card I thought was new and in the 2015 Vehicles. Do you have the SIM Card?

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

I use my iPhone as a Hotspot and BMW Internet connect thru it... no fees. Again, this is in the CIC-iDrive. I do not know if the NBT-iDrive supports Hotspot from an external phone.

The NBT iDrive uses the TCU in the trunk for communications. The TCU is the module with the SIM. I would guess that BMWNA charges $100 a year just for Internet connection using that TCU. And again, it is so slow and cumbersome to use and only while stationary, that it is simply useless.

Quote:
Wow I believed this to be new and amazing, are we talking about the same thing? They describe it like this, it's 100.00 a year for the service and its full I-drive internet and described like this..one part of these basic features is the special equipment option BMW TeleServices (6AE) including a permanently installed SIM card.

The SIM card I thought was new and in the 2015 Vehicles. Do you have the SIM Card?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sim Card

Seems from what I have come to find, is that the improvements to BMW Online through the idrive and the NBT system was completely enhanced for 2014 and 2015, with more abilities even possible. All taking place with the LTE network sim card in either the hotspot option, or with the stand alone sim card that now comes with bmw assist so long as you purchased the option.

You mentioned your CIC version, and how you had it set up, are you able to see video on your Idrive monitor from your cell?

With this interface it appears as though that all takes place, and as you mentioned one would have to be parked, I coded that out a few years ago for video in motion while driving on my 6 series but was only able to use DVD movies while driving and think it will become just as easy to do it again on my M4.

But to get full internet, hotspot up to 8 cells, for 300.00 for 3 years seems like a low price. Im in. Also, NFC (which has just come to Iphone but been around for a few years now with android) the NFC hooks up hotspots without keying anything in, its all automatic.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
Lessthanzero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

BMW Online is totally underwhelming. If they would just open up their APIs we would see a groundswell of useful (and useless) apps. It would lead to a better car experience, and ultimately higher sales.
Appreciate 0