E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New to forum!! Ordering E92 - Need advice!..please

12-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
New to forum!! Ordering E92 - Need advice!..please

Hey all,

I have been driving a 316ti Sport Compact for 4 years, and the time has come to sell it, depreciation is a bitch..

I'm going to BMW tomorrow to possibly order a 325ci M Sport.
Colour wise, I think I'm going with Alpine White and Saddle Brown interior. I know there aren't many of these combos around (in the UK anyway), but looking at the pics on this forums, it undoubtably looks HOT! IMO

But is it a logical decision? It may be all good having that colour in the nice sunny USA, but is it a good idea in the temperamental climate of good old Blighty??

I spoke to the dealer yesterday, and he believes that for you to drastically increase the resale value, it is best to order it as an automatic rather than a manual trans, which i prefer especially on one thats pretty much fully loaded!

What do I do!?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a happy new year everyone!

TSL
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Welcome to E90POST.

I Have always wanted to see a A/W with saddle i think it would look the frickin BOLLOX!!

I promise you, A/W will be easier to keep clean and looking good compared to Monaco Blue and the black colours.

Carlos
      12-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the advice Carlos, good to know!! Both my bro and my father have white cars, and i see where your coming from.

Has anyone listened to the Individual sound system btw? The dealer says its pretty special (well, he would) as i DO enjoy my music!

Thanks,

TSL
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Hi TSL

im not too sure on the resale values of that combo , but i would imagine the more 'standard' a car in the way of personalisation the better it would for the resale. I dont think you could go wrong with AW, saddle im not too sure about to be honest. Its interesting the dealer told you automatic was preferable over manual, allthough i do like the auto box, i thought the general opinion was towards manual.

But at the end of the day go for what you like , becasue theres no point in spending all that money on a compromise

i was told satnav was 'esential' for the resale, but i kind of got the opinion that the salesman was trying to stack up the options list so be cautious.

welcome to the forum

Chris

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Hey Chris,

That is definitely the dilemma, ordering what i want or what will get me more money at the end...

I've driven a BMW auto in the past on an X5, and I do prefer a manual. Is there noticeable reduction in power when driving an E92 auto as to a manual?

Many thanks,

TSL
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hello TSL, I agree with Chris, go for what you like. AW seems to becoming very popular, so by the time you come to trade in etc. you may well have a colour combo people want. Anyhow, set a new trend.

As for auto. hmmm, if it was say a 5er 3.0 engine plus then yes auto, as would be probably expected. Don't really see the dealers point re. a 325ci M sport though. Possibly a money maker like you say. Check out BMW's website and do a national search for your model etc. and see how many are actually auto boxes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=TSL=- View Post
Thanks for the advice Carlos, good to know!! Both my bro and my father have white cars, and i see where your coming from.

Has anyone listened to the Individual sound system btw? The dealer says its pretty special (well, he would) as i DO enjoy my music!

Thanks,

TSL
G33 has Individual Sound System, doesn't think much of it (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=18); not worth the money. If you go with AW, better stock up on detailing gear as it's gonna need some serious cleaning, especially this time of year!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Welcome to the forum TSL.

Regarding your point about manual vs auto, I think your dealer might mean it would perhaps be easier for them to sell on an auto, but I certainly wouldn't let it affect my decision.

Alpine white when clean does look amazing, although the state our roads are in at the moment I can see why you would be put off... just have it professionally valeted and you will be fine

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...51&postcount=1
      12-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Welcome to the Asylum TSL.

I'd go AW,I think it looks the dogs doo dahs personally.
Have a look at Bumps car, gorgeous:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/bpgara...o=view&id=2098

Your dealer would probably advise going more mainsteam colour wise and as you have already intimated has suggested you go for the auto box.

Ignore the dealer and buy the car you want, rather then something that might,but then again might not be worth more come p/ex time.

If you like your music go with the Hi-Fi upgrade too.
Sunroofs are gay apparently, so depending on which side you bat for, will determine your choice.

I always advocate buying with your heart rather then your head, you only live once, and you can't take it with you.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Welcome to the forum.

AW will be nice - not too many around.

I would skip the individual sound system and go for Hi Fi with 6fl - sounds great in mine. Better to spend the money on the ProNav - the iDrive compliments the other options well.

PS - Electric bum warmers are a must!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Welcome,

Your car so spec as you want. The dealer auto quote is because it's a London dealer, anywhere else in the country the would not care manual/auto.

Just remember the more you spend the more you loose come trade in.

White is coming back in fashion including premium cars. Saddle I wanted myself but would not buy without seeing and there was none around in the South East when I brought. It's also on the New X5 and 6 series so you might see on one of these.

Enjoy the fun of specing your new car tomorrow and please give us an update tomorrow evening.
      12-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

It will be interesting to see what discount you get now that BMW are trying to give less away to the customer.
      12-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
Welcome to the forum.

PS - Electric bum warmers are a must!!

What is the big thing with bum (fanny) warmers? I must be missing something here, had them on the Volvos and the E90 and maybe used them once in each car. Just had a thought....I've got more 'padding' than you guys
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

You can't tell me that at -2 degrees you don't hit the button?

I skipped it on my e46 330 to my eternal regret - and I live in the tropical urban heat island compared to you!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I agree 'evil

Never had em before but using em loads in this cold wintery weather!!

....Helen.....maybe you have a higher 'keep your bits warm ' threshold than us men!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #16
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
You can't tell me that at -2 degrees you don't hit the button?

I skipped it on my e46 330 to my eternal regret - and I live in the tropical urban heat island compared to you!
Tony, there's no button to hit. Didn't spec. the car that way. Actually, it's been much warmer up here lately than down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
I agree 'evil

Never had em before but using em loads in this cold wintery weather!!

....Helen.....maybe you have a higher 'keep your bits warm ' threshold than us men!
Paul, my bits don't dangle maybe that's it I think the extra padding must also help.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Great responses all round, thanks for the advice!!

I agree with the, 'get what you want' mentality, so I think it'll have to be a manual! Dont think I would enjoy an Auto as much as a manual right now..

beemerbird, I took your advice a did a national search for the car, and disappointingly the autos do have a higher resale value 2nd hand! Found this was the general trend:

325i M Sport Coupe /Auto/ 2007/ Titanium Silver/ Black Dakota leather/ £31,895
325i M Sport Coupe /Manual/ 2007/ Black Sapphire/ Coral Red Dakota Leather/ £28,995

The manual actually had a lower mileage too... so to those who have an auto, be happy!!
As far as options go i think i'll be choosing Saddle Dakota, 19" M Wheels, NavPro, Bluetooth, Individual sound (hmmm), 6FL iPod, and if it doesnt blow the budget; Heated Seats!!
I saw the Aluminium Glacier finish on a M-Sport few days ago, but I do like the Brushed Aluminium finish... any thoughts comments, or suggestions on that by any chance?? hehe

Thanks again, everyone! And will definitely let u know how it all goes!
Cheers

TSL
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Welcome to the forum TSL. I'm sure the comments will come flooding in over the next couple of days.

As others have said (and as you are thinking) get the car that you want. If your driving history is anything to go by you'll be spending four years with the car and only a few weeks trying to sell it. Okay the residual might be hurt a bit, but that's just the price of four years of not kicking yourself for what you want and depreciation will kick you in the nuts whatever.

If the dealer is still pushing you towards the auto then make sure he lets you try both before you decide. It's only fair, and you'll be sure of your choice.

It sounds like you'll have the car specced up to the hilt so there isn't much to say, other than the individual sound being a whole heap of money that I would want to hear before signing up for.

On the brushed Al vs Glacier... I've not seen the Glacier in the flesh so I can't pass comment, other than I'm perfectly happy with the brushed Al trim on mine.

Good luck, and let us know what you do get.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Just a comment on the brushed ali v glacier, I've heard that the brushed ali is easily damaged by the seat belts,it's probably just a question of being extra careful if you prefer the brushed over the glacier really.

The glacier is now the default choice on the sports, so make sure you spec the brushed if that's the one your going for.

For what it's worth,I ended up with the glacier, despite thinking I was getting the brushed, something to do with the change from MY07-08.
I prefer the brushed

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

is glacier real aluminium like the brushed?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #21
Mike UK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le mans Blau e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Tony, there's no button to hit. Didn't spec. the car that way. Actually, it's been much warmer up here lately than down there.

Paul, my bits don't dangle maybe that's it I think the extra padding must also help.
Padding? You wearing a nappy?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #22
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Natural padding love. Nappy, once a month
Appreciate 0