BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing    F**king wireless

12-27-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
F**king wireless

I've been having problems with my old wireless router so I bought a new one. I bought a Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz WRT54G from BB and hooked it up. I had my comp hardwired and my friend who was over connected his apple to it no problems. I unplugged my comp from the router and it doesn't want to connect. I've tried everything I could think of, but nothing. It finds the network but it gets stuck when it's trying to "renew the IP address" any ideas? Does one computer always have to be hardwired into the router?? I have no idea what I'm doing...any help would be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Power cycle the router.
If that doesn't work power cycle both the router and the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Wire it again
Go into the router setup and see if you have enabled security on the wireless to limit the number of connections, and see how long the lease time is. You may have given out all the IP addresses in your DHCP sessions.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Older post, I know, but a recent visit to the Linksys download site cleared up all my problems.

They offer software so easy that anybody can get their network up and running within 10 minutes. Network setup for dummies.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

But. . . how secured is it at that point? All those I see around me that are not encrypted, and have the deafult names so I can go online and get the default password and change it to anything I want, IF I were that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
I've been having problems with my old wireless router so I bought a new one. I bought a Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz WRT54G from BB and hooked it up. I had my comp hardwired and my friend who was over connected his apple to it no problems. I unplugged my comp from the router and it doesn't want to connect. I've tried everything I could think of, but nothing. It finds the network but it gets stuck when it's trying to "renew the IP address" any ideas? Does one computer always have to be hardwired into the router?? I have no idea what I'm doing...any help would be appreciated!!
I have a similar issue but with the connection to the modem -- when I switch the laptop it does not renew the IP address but it does it after the power cycle and/or reboot, and every time I switch the machine same crap happens...
Appreciate 0