E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > I-Drive Meltdown

12-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I-Drive Meltdown

I got a tire pressure warning message yesterday. Checked the pressures and reset.

Checked them again today and I don't seem to have a problem - either a false alarm or a very slow puncture.

My nav disc wasn't working yesterday either (original one - not the sergei remastered version).

Today idrive won't boot up at all unless I remove the nav disc.

I've tried the reset (press volume button and the 2 eject buttons at once), but it still won't boot up with the nav disc in the slot.

I get the BMW splash screen - then it all goes black.

Looks like I'm going to have to go to the dealer which is a pain to do when I need the car for the holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
My goes a bit silly sometimes, not that bad tho, like cd cuts out for a few seconds or nav goes slow, must happen at least once a month!

Get them to loan you a 330i with nav for your holiday!

Have a nice time? where are you going?

Carlos
      12-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
My goes a bit silly sometimes, not that bad tho, like cd cuts out for a few seconds or nav goes slow, must happen at least once a month!

Get them to loan you a 330i with nav for your holiday!

Have a nice time? where are you going?

Carlos
The CHRISTMAS holidays Carlos - I'm staying at home roasting chestnuts on an open fire

I've not had a problem with idrive at all until now, but it seems to be completely fried. It just keeps failing to boot up and restarting with the nav disk in place.

I've taken it out now, so at least the radio works, but I'm hacked off about not having nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The CHRISTMAS holidays Carlos - I'm staying at home roasting chestnuts on an open fire

I've not had a problem with idrive at all until now, but it seems to be completely fried. It just keeps failing to boot up and restarting with the nav disk in place.

I've taken it out now, so at least the radio works, but I'm hacked off about not having nav.
I assume you're having the same problem, whichever DVD version you try using, NFS?

Bit of a mess about, but I think it's going to need your dealer to scratch his head, frown a few times & say "..no idea....May as well stick the latest Progman in it & see what happens...'.

Just make sure you stick the original disc in the slot when you take it in.

Good luck with it.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Check the iDrive subforum on the main E90Post page. There's a lot of information on there about this "phenomenon". Search for "CCC". I had the problem last year; I guess you drew the short straw this year. Mine ended up being a full replacement of the whole iDrive system and then some.

Carlos, as for the CD cutting out, I started getting that after my software upgrade in September. The CD blanks out for about a second somewhere between 15-30 after starting the car. I'm sure it will be addressed with the next software edition but I don't think it is enough of a bother to relenquish my car for a day or two. Now if there were something really wrong, let it piggyback.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I assume you're having the same problem, whichever DVD version you try using, NFS?

Bit of a mess about, but I think it's going to need your dealer to scratch his head, frown a few times & say "..no idea....May as well stick the latest Progman in it & see what happens...'.

Just make sure you stick the original disc in the slot when you take it in.

Good luck with it.

Viv
It has no disc in the drive right now. I had to use the reset to eject it though.

It did all start off after I put the data ISO disc in the drive. Can't see how that could have damaged the system though .

I think you are right though .. software update will be the first port of call, which isn't a bad thing. I could do with one really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Check the iDrive subforum on the main E90Post page. There's a lot of information on there about this "phenomenon". Search for "CCC". I had the problem last year; I guess you drew the short straw this year. Mine ended up being a full replacement of the whole iDrive system and then some.

Carlos, as for the CD cutting out, I started getting that after my software upgrade in September. The CD blanks out for about a second somewhere between 15-30 after starting the car. I'm sure it will be addressed with the next software edition but I don't think it is enough of a bother to relenquish my car for a day or two. Now if there were something really wrong, let it piggyback.
Thanks Floyd, I searched before I posted and read about your problems with the old idrive system. Sounds similar so I suspect it's either a new software flash or the CCC itself.

Trip to the dealer on the cards either way
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It has no disc in the drive right now. I had to use the reset to eject it though.

It did all start off after I put the data ISO disc in the drive. Can't see how that could have damaged the system though .

I think you are right though .. software update will be the first port of call, which isn't a bad thing. I could do with one really.

Thanks Floyd, I searched before I posted and read about your problems with the old idrive system. Sounds similar so I suspect it's either a new software flash or the CCC itself.

Trip to the dealer on the cards either way
So, you put the data disc in the drive, not the burned disc made from the iso?

Not that it should make any difference whatsoever.

A newer Progman version will let you enter destinations without having to spell them & there's some talk of being able to say destinations stored in the car's address book.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So, you put the data disc in the drive, not the burned disc made from the iso?

Not that it should make any difference whatsoever.

A newer Progman version will let you enter destinations without having to spell them & there's some talk of being able to say destinations stored in the car's address book.

Viv
Yep .. I didn't realise that the disc Sergei sent me was a data one, so I stuck it in the car to see how it worked.

Coincidentally, that's also when the idrive decided to peg out.

Doesn't make any sense at all, but it does seem that this was enough for the idrive to chuck in the towel..

New progman would be appreciated anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Victoria_Pollard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Like a butterfly

I've been "playing" with the new Nav disc in the garage. My I drive shut down when the battery got a bit low, and after a reset it would only show the start screen. Shortly afterwards a low battery warning appeared.

Ran the engine for a while and everything returned to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Is it all fixed now NFS? Did the dealer upgrade your software?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Is it all fixed now NFS? Did the dealer upgrade your software?
Booked in for tomorrow. I didn't drive that much over Christmas, so I wasn't in a great hurry.

I presume they will initially just flash the software. Hopefully that will do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Same problem

I had the same issue recently and the whole CCC unit had to be replaced. Been perfect ever since and system seems faster now too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Booked in for tomorrow. I didn't drive that much over Christmas, so I wasn't in a great hurry.

I presume they will initially just flash the software. Hopefully that will do it.
Good luck with it, NFS.

Just remember to remove Sergei's 'De-luxe' disc, before you take it to them.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good luck with it, NFS.

Just remember to remove Sergei's 'De-luxe' disc, before you take it to them.

Viv
I thought Sergei was a fully licensed BMW distributor?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought Sergei was a fully licensed BMW distributor?

He has been awarded various titles in Croatia, non of which are repeatable.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
He has been awarded various titles in Croatia, non of which are repeatable.

Viv
All is well. I have the latest Progman which is fantastic and means:

1. Using the steering wheel button assigned to 'next audio source' now scrolls through radio, cd AND audio aux.

2. Switching to audio aux via voice control no longer drops idrive into the audio aux menu.

3. Mobile phone pairing no longer needs to be done with the engine off

4. The idrive looks a cool and slatey grey

5. POI's are searchable by name and information is no longer bizarrely located under 'new destination'.

6. The air con no longer disables air recirculation every time I start the car.

I now have Sergei Industries 0801 nav disc with speed cameras in full operation, coupled with the latest software.

I'm convinced that inserting the ISO data disc sent to me by Sergei fried the idrive and I think that there is an option here for Sergei to 'bundle' the 0801 disc with an Idrive buggering solution guaranteed to lead to a progman update under warranty.

I reckon that there is even more money in this than torches.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #17
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Great news NFS. You must be well chuffed to get the update and have all running sweetly again.

I am now using the Sergei 0801 disc too (Thanks Sergei) and it is great not to be driving through fields on some of the new town bypasses near me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:30 AM   #18
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Great news NFS. You must be well chuffed to get the update and have all running sweetly again.

I am now using the Sergei 0801 disc too (Thanks Sergei) and it is great not to be driving through fields on some of the new town bypasses near me.
Sergei says 'no problem'.

Quote:
All is well. I have the latest Progman which is fantastic and means:

1. Using the steering wheel button assigned to 'next audio source' now scrolls through radio, cd AND audio aux.

2. Switching to audio aux via voice control no longer drops idrive into the audio aux menu.

3. Mobile phone pairing no longer needs to be done with the engine off

4. The idrive looks a cool and slatey grey

5. POI's are searchable by name and information is no longer bizarrely located under 'new destination'.

6. The air con no longer disables air recirculation every time I start the car.

I now have Sergei Industries 0801 nav disc with speed cameras in full operation, coupled with the latest software.

I'm convinced that inserting the ISO data disc sent to me by Sergei fried the idrive and I think that there is an option here for Sergei to 'bundle' the 0801 disc with an Idrive buggering solution guaranteed to lead to a progman update under warranty.

I reckon that there is even more money in this than torches.
He's thinking of calling it the "Deeee-luxe 'F**k It 'N Fix It' edition".

You'll also have iDrive going straight to the last menu you were viewing, before switching the car off.
You can also use voice control to enter nav desinations by full name, instead of having to spell them out & you can jump to specific mp3 tracks- wasn't available on earlier Progman versions.

Glad to hear you're happy with the outcome, NFS.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #19
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sergei says 'no problem'.

He's thinking of calling it the "Deeee-luxe 'F**k It 'N Fix It' edition".

You'll also have iDrive going straight to the last menu you were viewing, before switching the car off.
You can also use voice control to enter nav desinations by full name, instead of having to spell them out & you can jump to specific mp3 tracks- wasn't available on earlier Progman versions.

Glad to hear you're happy with the outcome, NFS.

Viv
It does go to the last screen on start up!

I didn't register that this was different last night.

The aux input function was the most annoying aspect of the older software. You either had to go into the entertainment menu and select it or use voice control, which then dropped you out of the nav screen and into the audio aux menu.

BMW should offer the updates for free really since they are designed to fix 'problems' with earlier versions.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just noticed tonight that it also remembers that POI display was set to ON, so I don't need to remember to switch on the speed camera display each time.

Superb !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Just noticed tonight that it also remembers that POI display was set to ON, so I don't need to remember to switch on the speed camera display each time.

Superb !
It's ridiculous that something as simple as this wasn't programmed in the original CIP version.

Personally, I think it's even more annoying that dealers will NOT carry out Progman updates FOC, unless the customer 'proves' something is actually 'wrong'.

Speaking for myself, I now just look through the SIB updates & check for updated 'fixes'. Once I''m happy that other members are happy with the 'fixes', I check to make sure I've got my 'irrefutable' proof for the need to carry out a Progman update FOC & make my way to dealer.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #22
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Should try and get my idrive software upgraded!
Appreciate 0