Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

If so, do you guys recommend doing cquartz first and then xpel clear bra?

If not, do you recommend doing one over the other?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I believe that they can be applied either way. However, considering that you might take the clear bra off one day, I would get the car quartzed first and then clear bra over it
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
I believe that they can be applied either way. However, considering that you might take the clear bra off one day, I would get the car quartzed first and then clear bra over it
Thanks a lot rubber_ducky. Did you do either of these options, or both, by any chance on your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I was looking at xpel and opticoat...was told xpel should go first
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortressmaximus View Post
If so, do you guys recommend doing cquartz first and then xpel clear bra?

If not, do you recommend doing one over the other?

Thanks.
When a clear bra product is applied the installer 'strips' everything off the clear coat, (paint); wax; any ceramic coating; whatever. Hence you want to get the Xpel installed first, then have Opticoat; CQuartz etc applied over the top of the film. Just take the car over as clean as possible. A good clay bar before the film is installed is a good idea even on a new car.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep

Thank you all for your responses! Did you guys do both or did you just choose one?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Herolad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses! Did you guys do both or did you just choose one?
I'm about to do both. Just got my PPF (Clearshield Pro clear bra) installed this week and should get the cquartz done at the beginning of October. While both do protect your paint they go about it in a different way I think. The PPF is a film over your car, and there to protected your paint from rocks and debris that might hit your car. While Cquartz/Opti-Coat is a sealant, and there to protected the paint from sun, weather, bird poop, etc. It also is a replacement for waxing, and can keep your car glossy without having to wax. The car is suppose to be easier to clean with the sealant.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herolad
Quote:
I'm about to do both. Just got my PPF (Clearshield Pro clear bra) installed this week and should get the cquartz done at the beginning of October. While both do protect your paint they go about it in a different way I think. The PPF is a film over your car, and there to protected your paint from rocks and debris that might hit your car. While Cquartz/Opti-Coat is a sealant, and there to protected the paint from sun, weather, bird poop, etc. It also is a replacement for waxing, and can keep your car glossy without having to wax. The car is suppose to be easier to clean with the sealant.
Thanks a lot for your input and explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
Herolad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
No problem. Btw the clear bra does protected your car from sun, weather, etc. But it is expensive to get the full car covered in clear bra, and depending on if your anal (like me). You want the car color to stay consistant but don't want to pay for a car to be completely covered in clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herolad
Quote:
No problem. Btw the clear bra does protected your car from sun, weather, etc. But it is expensive to get the full car covered in clear bra, and depending on if your anal (like me). You want the car color to stay consistant but don't want to pay for a car to be completely covered in clear bra.
On my current car, an e92 m3, I got a clear bra covering full hood, fenders, mirrors, front bumper, head lights installed on it.

I ordered a black sapphire m4, which should be delivered to me sometime in November or early December. This is my first black car and I definitely want to take care of it properly. Do you think full hood, front bumper, mirrors, headlights, and fenders is enough?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Onetime237
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I have BSM... it shows everything. Definitely going to do PPF, but debating on the clear coat (Optic or Cquartz) before or after winter.

I am doing the full front minus the headlights. What else do you want to do, rear bumper...rockers? How much highway driving you doing?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime237
I have BSM... it shows everything. Definitely going to do PPF, but debating on the clear coat (Optic or Cquartz) before or after winter.

I am doing the full front minus the headlights. What else do you want to do, rear bumper...rockers? How much highway driving you doing?
Thanks for your response. I was wondering if full hood was overkill or if half hood was enough. I'm leaning towards doing full hood, mirrors, front bumper, and front fenders. I wasn't considering rear bumper or back of car. Which film are you using?

I'd say highway driving comprises 1/3 of my mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Onetime237
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Suntek...My installer does Xpel too but hedged toward Suntek for its clarity. He also said the extra thickness is mainly just the adhesive. He also though the optical clarity with Suntek was better. Who knows - everyone has their opinion.

Not sure if I should do the headlights...i think it is overkill. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't do a lot of highway driving though.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Covering the headlights with the exact same type of film you use on the hood, etc. is smart, and cheap. Just tell your installer to custom cut a piece for each headlight. I am NOT talking about the pre-cut headlight protection films that are advertised. Those are way too thick and not necessary. If you crack the outer plastic part of the headlights from a rock thrown at the car, its damn expensive to replace.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
Covering the headlights with the exact same type of film you use on the hood, etc. is smart, and cheap. Just tell your installer to custom cut a piece for each headlight. I am NOT talking about the pre-cut headlight protection films that are advertised. Those are way too thick and not necessary. If you crack the outer plastic part of the headlights from a rock thrown at the car, its damn expensive to replace.
Thank you for your input thebishman
Appreciate 0