F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brake Pads
ARMA SPEED

09-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Brake Pads

Just wondering at what mileage has f30 330d non msport plus owners had to change their front pads?

My vehicle is in for its first service and they are saying they need changing at 17000.

I appreciate that it would depend on your driving style but I think I am a reserved driver.

Dickie

Ps brakes on my 2014 320dx msport hearse courtesy car don't stop as quick as my car! The little fiat 500 at the traffic lights in Leicester nearly found out too!

Last edited by DickieGibbo; 09-17-2014 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Wrong title
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
Just wondering at what mileage has f30 330d non msport plus owners had to change their front pads?

My vehicle is in for its first service and they are saying they need changing at 17000.

I appreciate that it would depend on your driving style but I think I am a reserved driver.

Dickie

Ps brakes on my 2014 320dx msport hearse courtesy car don't stop as quick as my car! The little fiat 500 at the traffic lights in Leicester nearly found out too!
I think that's a little on the light side for needing the pads done. Be careful, because apparently BMW like to replace the discs everytime they do the pads too...seems crazy to me, the whole point of the pad is that it wears before the disc.

Interesting comment about the brakes..it's confusing all the different options BMW do.

The standard 320 and 330 brakes are different...

The M-sport brakes are different again..and I think different between the 320 and 330?

And the M-performance are just subtly different again...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

Just had my front brake pads (and discs!) changed for the first time, currently on 39k miles.

Standard brakes, that is.
      09-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
matt_320d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post
Just had my front brake pads (and discs!) changed for the first time, currently on 39k miles.

Standard brakes, that is.
Really surprised at all this talk of Discs and pads getting changed at the same time. That just makes no sense.

The whole point of the pad is that it is made of a material that wears preferentially to the disc...

Discs should outlast pads at a ratio of at least 3:1 on any car I've ever owned...

My current E90 is on 94,000 miles, It's had the pads done front and back just once, and the discs are still fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
Really surprised at all this talk of Discs and pads getting changed at the same time. That just makes no sense.

The whole point of the pad is that it is made of a material that wears preferentially to the disc...

Discs should outlast pads at a ratio of at least 3:1 on any car I've ever owned...

My current E90 is on 94,000 miles, It's had the pads done front and back just once, and the discs are still fine.
I know it was always the view that you could get through sets of pads on a set of discs. But a lot does depend on use and the time/distance a car covers before we need to give the brakes attention.

I've mentioned before that up here, due to typical use and conditions, discs are it a right state before a set of pads are even worn down. So discs are the first item needed to get brake performance back to A1.

Take a look at the state of a lot of discs these days, grooved, lipped, corrosion creeping in from the outside. A new set of pads would not work without a disc skim, we'd have brake judder from fitting new pads. You can imagine customers reaction to that, having paid for a set of pads and the brakes feel worse than before the pads were fitted. And some of those pads would never bed-in and run smooth.

Makes a lot of sense to replace disc and pads if there is any doubt whatsoever, to get smooth and decent brake performance from driving off.

There will be users in mainly dry and perfect running conditions whose brakes will stay in pretty good condition as the pads wear down. Those users may well get away with just a set of pads.

I know for myself, discs rust so easily and growl on first few applications, edges corrode and discs are a mess, well before pads are worn down.

My son had to have a full set of discs and pads for the same reason, on his X3, brakes were in a terrible mess well before the pads were worn down.

Take this E91 front disc at 9k miles, at about 9-months old, what hope of replacing pads at any time, as corrosion is becoming established. Let alone by the time the pads are worn off.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
matt_320d
Captain
Rep

That does look pretty grim Pete, but at 9K seriously..how did it get in such a state?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
That does look pretty grim Pete, but at 9K seriously..how did it get in such a state?
Normal use up here. Car was not used every day, so corrosion soon 'grows'.

Take my 535i front disc... again at low miles, about 8k miles. Autumn time when fitting winter wheels, so the weather abuse was yet ahead.

Note the corrosion starting on the perimeter of the disc face, can grow like that in a couple of days, if the weather is humid. Also note the fine rust spotting over the whole surface of the disc face. That can turn brown with rust over night and causes the growling on first applications.

If you saw my front discs now, even with some cleaning up and summer use, you'd know pad wear is nothing to worry about, it's all about will the discs last a winter without being messed up and have brake judder.

Discs go almost black over winter, all pitted and nasty.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I think that's a little on the light side for needing the pads done. Be careful, because apparently BMW like to replace the discs everytime they do the pads too...seems crazy to me, the whole point of the pad is that it wears before the disc.

Interesting comment about the brakes..it's confusing all the different options BMW do.

The standard 320 and 330 brakes are different...

The M-sport brakes are different again..and I think different between the 320 and 330?

And the M-performance are just subtly different again...
I took a closer look at the brakes and they were msport brakes.

I dont know why they were not as good as mine which are non msport. Think the discs are bigger which is probably why.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
I took a closer look at the brakes and they were msport brakes.

I dont know why they were not as good as mine which are non msport. Think the discs are bigger which is probably why.

Dickie
After I posted this topic, I called Sytner to have a moan to carefully examine the pads visually before making assumptions using the OBC and charging me a horrendous replacement cost.

They called me back after 3 hours following a visual inspection to advise they have recoded the OBC as it was wrong. I therefore don't need pads after all! The OBC now states pads required in 14000 miles which makes them due around 31000 which is better. I wonder if they would have told me this if I hadn't had made an issue of it?

The only downside with this apparent recoding is they reset the OBC as all my shortcuts disappeared, Radio Stations were not present, no profiles loaded, and my DIY EBT coding has disappeared. I am also sure that some things have changed on the I drive too. I have now noticed a weird graphic appearing in the right corner of the map screen next to the RTTI and the menu where I input a destination for the Sat Nav has changed slightly. Glad I didn't do anymore coding. It would have all disappeared!

I am going to have fun later tonigh though, I had both my front and rear cameras left on in stealth mode so hope to see what happened to my car when they took it away! I have too much time on my hand!! To be continued....

Dickie
Appreciate 0