THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics OTA Navigation Updates?

09-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
OTA Navigation Updates?

In the sticky about the new 2-series convertible, there's this interesting line:
Debut of free over-the-air updates to navigation data

Will this apply to the 2015 M235xi I have on order as well? Or even 2014 models?

IIRC, navigation updates are like $250/year or something like that?

OTA updates to map data would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
E46toF22
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

FWIW, I just asked BMW Canada about that because that sounded great to me as well, but what I was told was that the telematics in the convertible will be different, so, no, coupe purchasers will be SOL (even ones like me who are still going to be waiting a month or two for our cars).

As for pricing for updates, I was told that because the updates are dealer-installed, I should be speaking to my dealer about it, but it sounded like it was in the $250 (Canadian) range. I'm not surprised, but I always find it annoying to be dinged for more than the price of a new GPS for a simple map update.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you can just download the map from bittorrent and get a FSC map code generated...if you know how to you can generate the code yourself for free or you can buy it for $30-40

just google "BMW Road Map North America Next 2015-1 torrent"
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Just reposting from the mian cab post:

Reading through some of the press briefings the cabriolet has a new radio with 4G LTE which is BMW's method for it getting map updates. Unfortunately our (Hard tops) cars have 3G radios and likely cannot be upgraded...

The short of it is no free or OTA map updates for us, likely ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah.... that's what saddens me and frustrates me at the same time. I'm a tech guy, it's annoying that the same car (or very similar car) of the same model year has different technology like this. Also, how can they justify making us pay for maps when other get them for free? If it was an outdated / older model-year car I'd understand, but this doesn't seem justified. Just my 2c
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
Yeah.... that's what saddens me and frustrates me at the same time. I'm a tech guy, it's annoying that the same car (or very similar car) of the same model year has different technology like this. Also, how can they justify making us pay for maps when other get them for free? If it was an outdated / older model-year car I'd understand, but this doesn't seem justified. Just my 2c
Imo this is the same debate as when a new iphone gets a new feature. Your car didn't come with free updates when you bought it, yet you still bought it. Somehow you now feel ripped off or entitled to upgrades when something new comes down the pipeline?

Bmw's marketing decided that the convertible needed a marketing boost. This was it. They keep a few cards up their sleeves.

Again the justification is your car doesn't have the hardware needed. New hardware isn't free.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

The faster LTE radio would be nice to help with the Google Maps overlay. Maybe it is something that can retrofitted if customers really want to spend the money on upgrading.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@killramos, I see what you're saying and normally I'd agree, but in this instance I feel it's a little silly that I'm buying a 2-series, same model year as the vert, it should have all the same features aside from the soft-top. I'm just ranting b/c I'm a die-hard tech enthusiast and can't have my way Maybe I can find a way to add-in the extra 1G
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager View Post
@killramos, I see what you're saying and normally I'd agree, but in this instance I feel it's a little silly that I'm buying a 2-series, same model year as the vert, it should have all the same features aside from the soft-top. I'm just ranting b/c I'm a die-hard tech enthusiast and can't have my way Maybe I can find a way to add-in the extra 1G
Don't feel bad its eating me up about the 4g too lol, but I know I can't always have the latest greatest.

Besides, I'm sure bimmertech, will gladly take $2k to retrofit the new nav system
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxHolic View Post
Don't feel bad its eating me up about the 4g too lol, but I know I can't always have the latest greatest.

Besides, I'm sure bimmertech, will gladly take $2k to retrofit the new nav system
Haha glad to know I'm not alone in this! =]
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:31 AM   #11
Burgwood
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M235i

Im not sure but is 4G not possible to have by changing the SIM?
With my phone it worked that way, or is the "old" model just not ready for this speed?
I would love to upgrade from 3G to 4G (Music will load much faster that way in Napster)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nope. The hardware has to support it. The radio in the M235i is a 3G radio programmed for specific 2G/3G bands. The radio in the vert is programmed for 2G/3G/LTE bands.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgwood View Post
Im not sure but is 4G not possible to have by changing the SIM?
With my phone it worked that way, or is the "old" model just not ready for this speed?
I would love to upgrade from 3G to 4G (Music will load much faster that way in Napster)
LTE is completely different hardware, frequencies, antennas, protocols, licensing.

The only reason switching your Sim would have worked on your old phone is the hardware already supported LTE.

Another thing to consider is alot of cell phone companies did a shitty thing about 4 years back by branding a mild upgrade to HSPA ( commonly known as 3G cellular ) as 4G. This was HSPA+. This is probably how your cell phone worked. Alot of phones started having HSPA+ capable phones before the networks had rolled it out which allowed people to "upgrade" with new sim cards. These same shitty companies called their LTE service 4G+ once it came out if you can believe it. Idiots.

LTE is completely different. Like FM vs Satellite Radio different. lol
Appreciate 0