Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

New Jaguar XE S with a V6 weighs 3250 lbs

Request: If you haven't driven a modern day Jaguar --- please don't comment on how the Jaguar is for old people and it drives like a boat...that is simply no longer the case. They make FANTASTIC cars now that are also fun to drive - so please be open minded and by all means go take a new one like a F-Type for a drive.

The new Jaguar XE S weights in at 3250 lbs which is ~350lbs less than the 3 series. Which I think is OUTSTANDING. The XE S gets the same V6 as the F-Type with 340 hp and will hit a manufacturer claimed 0 to 60 in 4.9s. Imagine what it'll be like when Jag makes the R and RS editions.

I believe BMW may have some serious competition on the horizon for the 335i (maybe not quite the M3 --- we'll see)...as Jaguar interiors look much more upscale for the same price IMO. It's speculated that this car will start in the $40k price range...possibly even less.

Quote:
"Jaguar is coming in as a challenger brand. We’re not doing another [BMW] 3 Series, and that’s why we feel so excited that this car truly starts from a clean sheet of paper."
-Jeff Curry, vice president of Jaguar North America

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...908-story.html
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

id really like for that weight to be true. BUT, I will believe it when I see it

BMW overpromised on weight loss (M3/4)
Audi overpromised on weight loss (US a3 much heavier than euro equivalent)
Merc overpromised on weight loss (C class)
      09-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
id really like for that weight to be true. BUT, I will believe it when I see it

BMW overpromised on weight loss (M3/4)
Audi overpromised on weight loss (US a3 much heavier than euro equivalent)
Merc overpromised on weight loss (C class)
The difference here is that it's all-aluminum. I expect BMW's G series to be much more lighter with their use of space-age materials and carbon fiber

It's not unbelievable to me. Even if it's slightly higher than stated, it's still going to be fairly light for what it is (a 4 dr entry-level luxury sedan)

Last edited by onatuesday; 09-08-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
The difference here is that it's all-aluminum. I expect BMW's G series to be much more lighter with their use of space-age materials and carbon fiber

It's not unbelievable to me. Even if it's slightly higher it's still going to be fairly light for what it is (a 4 dr entry-level luxury sedan)
I agree, the weight is AWESOME for the XE, however again its a new generation it weighs less than some 2 door sports cars, 911s and Corvettes. The F series platform was made long before the XE was even a thought, and the XE is going to be a 2016 or 2017 model supposedly.

Its safe to say BMW should be able to beat this and then some with the new "G" cars. The I8 weighs 3378, according to Motor Trend. An think of all the extra stuff it is loaded down with. I would think the batteries and hybrid powertrain, cooling alone would add a good 800 pounds to the car. Think if it was just a 1.5liter turbo with a 7speed stick, it would be sick.

I don't think it is fare to compare it to the F platform. Now the new C- Class yes. MB.com, lists the 4 with AWD at 3,583.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

problem w jag is they are overpriced and depreciate SUPER fast. decently optioned f type v6s is over 85k... they try to price higher than any german rivals.. i just dont believe they are worth any more than merc,audi,bmw (perf per dollar). reliability has also been a question mark for tye brand also..
i mean last week i saw a slightly used xj w 13000 mi for 42k... i mean come on.. car starts new at 72k..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

I have driven them and they are for old farts lol
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

It's not unbelievable to me. Even if it's slightly higher than stated, it's still going to be fairly light for what it is (a 4 dr entry-level luxury sedan)
Meh you could have said the same thing for merc since they use aluminum extensively and BMW with their carbon fiber.

That said, I hope they do because it will make all cars better.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:

You make good points, but I still approach this with skepticism like any other unproven manufacturer's claim. Making the number even harder to digest is the 0 to 60 mph acceleration time they are citing. With the calculated power to weight ratio I would honestly expect it to be in the mid 4 second range.

Weight questions aside, the car is absolutely stunning. This is hands down the best looking sedan ever produced in this segment. It's just so right - somehow Italianesque in its beauty.

And the R models are no doubt going to add an aggressive styling package to complement those sexy curves. As for engines, they've got options - a higher powered turbo V6, or the supercharged V8 if it will fit. That would certainly put them in the hunt for class leading acceleration. Or perhaps they'll surprise us with a new smaller turbo V8 like Mercedes is about to drop on us.

Definitely exciting times for Jaguar and a great new option for enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
But the Jaguar is for old people and it drives like a boat.......oh.

wait....

Quote:
[I]Request: If you haven't driven a modern day Jaguar --- please don't comment on how the Jaguar is for old people and it drives like a boat...that is simply no longer the case.
shit.

well....ok, I'm all outta things to say.

Seriously, I think the new Jags are great - F type in particular. I hope the XE does push BMW and I hope they make variants that push the M3. The more competition there is for our dollars, the better. Having been someone purchasing in markets with limited competition (try buying a full size wagon in North America when you don't want an SUV....) I'm all about options.
      09-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You make good points, but I still approach this with skepticism like any other unproven manufacturer's claim. Making the number even harder to digest is the 0 to 60 mph acceleration time they are citing. With the calculated power to weight ratio I would honestly expect it to be in the mid 4 second range.

Weight questions aside, the car is absolutely stunning. This is hands down the best looking sedan ever produced in this segment. It's just so right - somehow Italianesque in its beauty.

And the R models are no doubt going to add an aggressive styling package to complement those sexy curves. As for engines, they've got options - a higher powered turbo V6, or the supercharged V8 if it will fit. That would certainly put them in the hunt for class leader info acceleration. Or perhaps they'll surprise us with a new smaller turbo V8 like Mercedes is about to drop on us.

Definitely exciting times for Jaguar and a great new option for enthusiasts.
Crazy to think Jaguar was on the verge of dying just a few years ago. I think Jaguar's #GoodtoBeBad and #Alive campaigns are some of the best marketing out there. But I am likely biased b/c they keep inviting me to crazy driving events that are insanely fun

For the F-Type R test drive they insisted that I drive it in a tunnel. Almost made me put down a deposit right there. And a few years ago they had an event where you could do 0-60-0 test in a XKR-S as well as a skidpad and auto-X. No wonder sales were up 41% in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
....and shortly after I saw this thread, I saw this headline:

"Jaguar targets women and younger drivers with its cheapest car"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...s/?click=drive

so.....ummm.........I didn't say it!
      09-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I'm a big fan of the new Jags... never been before but they are doing some cool cars these days.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Well Jaguar didn't really say that either. They just gave examples of how this car is meant to appeal to an audience beyond the typical older male buyers Jaguar tends to draw. And I certainly can't argue that strategy. BMW and Mercedes do it to, as do other luxury car makers in particular. They know that appealing to women is integral to a successful product.

Just like AMG and M models, though, sales of R models will surely remain mostly to males. But I'm sure there will be a Lups or two that end up in an XE-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
....and shortly after I saw this thread, I saw this headline:

"Jaguar targets women and younger drivers with its cheapest car"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...s/?click=drive

so.....ummm.........I didn't say it!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Well Jaguar didn't really say that either. They just gave examples of how this car is meant to appeal to an audience beyond the typical older male buyers Jaguar tends to draw. And I certainly can't argue that strategy. BMW and Mercedes do it to, as do other luxury car makers in particular. They know that appealing to women is integral to a successful product.

Just like AMG and M models, though, sales of R models will surely remain mostly to males. But I'm sure there will be a Lups or two that end up in an XE-R.
....but I wouldn't say that lups is the typical female car buying demographic either....

(Though, frankly, she may care less about that classic woman car buyer issue (color) than 99% of the dudes on this forum)
      09-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

First Jaguar quotes the 3.250lbs. of the XE-S as DRY WEIGHT ... so I think it would be lighter than an F30 335i but the difference wouldn´t be so great.

For the XER-S or XER SVT they will bring an V8 with 489-549bhp ... the 8-Gear AT of the XE is an lightweight special developed variant of this tranny ... because it is limited near the max. torque of the XE-S 340bhp V6 engine, an 380bhp XE-SS needs an new stronger gearbox ... like the XER-S.

But on thing is clear, its an very nice looking car ... and for me the coming XER-S will be an real alternative to an F80M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Indeed interesting. If they can keep the added weight of the high performance version within 200 lbs and offer a competitive gearbox either a good MT or a DCT this could be proper competition. Hopefully it will totally embarrass the joke that Lexus just released. Toyota can do so much better and need a wake up call.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
problem w jag is they are overpriced and depreciate SUPER fast. decently optioned f type v6s is over 85k... they try to price higher than any german rivals.. i just dont believe they are worth any more than merc,audi,bmw (perf per dollar). reliability has also been a question mark for tye brand also..
i mean last week i saw a slightly used xj w 13000 mi for 42k... i mean come on.. car starts new at 72k..
Plus they are even less reliable then BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Problem with this car for me is the looks. This thing resembles the XF in so many ways. This car looks to be about 5 years old and it hasn't hit the market yet.

And like Kenny says, Ill believe the weight savings when I see them.
      09-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
[QUOTE=trinim3;16600380]

-Jeff Curry, vice president of Jaguar North America

Isn't Jaguar owned by some Indian company?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0