E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 Tracking and annoying rattle!

12-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
Tizzy
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport (E90)

Question E90 Tracking and annoying rattle!

Done 18,500 miles in my e90 320d M Sport now in just over 7 months, and it has been the model of reliability with no problems at all, until very recently, when several have appeared!

Driving up the A1 towards Hartlepool last week, I suddenly got a warning on the I Drive screen that engine oil-level was on minimum. I stopped when I could and it was at the bottom of the dip-stick level. I (fortunately) carry a litre of BMW oil (£18!!!) in the boot after having had several Audi's before, which actually come with a litre in the boot from new & after each service, as they use so much. Adding a litre brought it about halfway up the stick level, so that seemed OK, just strange because prior to this the level has hardly moved from the top in 18K+ miles - be interested to know if anyoen else has experienced similar?

Checking the front tyres (originals) I noticed that the outside edges are wearing noticeably. I have hit a couple of potholes recently and although the car steers straight and has no obvious steering wheel vibration, I suspect the tracking may be out, so called up my local stealer who want £142 +VAT for a suspension and tracking check. Seems a lot (although Audi was similar) but I'm going to get it done tomorrow, just to be on the safe-side and extend tyre life a bit! The rear tyres seem to be wearing more evenly but only have just under a third of their tread depth left - what sort of life should I expect? - I reckon these will need changing at about 22K miles.

Finally and probably most annoyingly, when I hit one of the aforementioned pot-holes (it was dark and we all know how cr*p the quality of some of our roads are!) the jolt was sufficient to have started a rattle/squeak between the bottom of the dash centre console and floor centre console are where the ash-tray is on the passenger side. This is really annoying and I'm surprised at sucj poor build quality to be honest, again never had any squeaks on the Audi's - (although don't get me wrong the e90 is 100% better to drive than an A4!) - I might get the Stealer to look at it under warranty when it goes in for the tracking tomorrow, on the other hand they'll probably fix it and just create another rattle in the process, so I might just find some dense foam-rubber and push it into the gap between the consoles with a screwdriver - yes I've owned Alfa's before as well, so know how to cure squeaks and rattles!

Cheers

Chris
      12-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Sounds like you've got things covered.

Shame it has to cost bloody money though eh !

SJ
      12-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

I've had to top mine up at 13,000.

The outside of the fronts on mine are feathered.

I think you're right about the 20,000 miles out of the rears.