Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Tuning subforum explodes while the track forum is dead

Does anyone else feel like the fact that there are 46x (9892/211) more posts in the tuning forum than the track forum says a lot about the different direction M cars are going in?

Here's to hoping this subforum explodes in the coming months.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

I doubt it. First, most cars are still in break-in phase. Second, few polls show only about 15% of this forum's members will be tracking their cars, and probably that's more like 5% in reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I doubt it. First, most cars are still in break-in phase. Second, few polls show only about 15% of this forum's members will be tracking their cars, and probably that's more like 5% in reality.
This. For all the talk of the M3/4 being a daily driver you can take to the track, not many are even interested in that, and of those interested, even fewer are willing to risk a 70k car on the track (despite statistics showing that you are safer on a track in a well regulated track day (NASA HPDE, or similiar) than you are driving on the street.

Plus, insurance usually (although not always) won't cover track damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I am waiting for mine to get back from ED to put it on the track. I have two event in late September (which are the last ones of the season), I am praying my car will get back on time to make it. The reason I buy M3/4s is to track them, I find they are the best dual purpose car out there.

Can't for it to get here so I can wring it out on the track
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

The tuning forum is bound to heat up since tuning a turbo car for big gains is pretty easy. Just wait for the inevitable Tuner Wars to begin if you want to see a forum explode.

I had a tuned 335xi and took it to the 1/4 mile track often because that's all I have nearby. I am planning to make the 5 hour trek to the nearest track with my M4, however, because it's given me the itch. So I've been busy soaking up all the helpful information in this section and even picked up one of the recommended books on Kindle so as not to embarrass myself too terribly.

The ///M's compass still points to the track.
      08-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
The ///M's compass still points to the track.
I hope you're right, I have my doubts.

Issues such as non-adjustable camber, which appears to be inadequate for track use, give me doubt.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
I hope you're right, I have my doubts.

Issues such as non-adjustable camber, which appears to be inadequate for track use, give me doubt.
I'll track mine as much as 2 kids allows, but I'm nowhere near fast enough to get into upgrading the car just for it, so that'll keep me from being active here. There have already been a few posts about brake pads and fluids and really for someone like me, that'll cover me.

I will, of course, need to post many times about which carbon fiber front lip will ultimately look the best for my posing needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765
Does anyone else feel like the fact that there are 46x (9892/211) more posts in the tuning forum than the track forum says a lot about the different direction M cars are going in?

Here's to hoping this subforum explodes in the coming months.
sadly most folks just want more power for bragging rights.

im pretty sure members on here that frequent the track will still be able to put down faster consistent laptimes in a bone stock car than the dude who shows up once in a while with 600hp plus e85 plus meth plus NOOOOOSSSSS. the funny part is that dude would literaly either think you have power mods or will go get more power
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
I'll track mine as much as 2 kids allows, but I'm nowhere near fast enough to get into upgrading the car just for it, so that'll keep me from being active here. There have already been a few posts about brake pads and fluids and really for someone like me, that'll cover me.

I will, of course, need to post many times about which carbon fiber front lip will ultimately look the best for my posing needs.
+1 on the kids situation. i'm hoping to hit a few track days but it'll be primarily a DD car. sure is nice having something capable enough to take to the track. i had an e46 m3 which was a BLAST on the track .. hoping the M3 gives me similar enjoyment.

i do think that even people who track the car pretty often will spend more time in other areas of the forum .. DD 20 days a month and track it 2-4 days so if proportional amounts of time are spent in the respective forums there will still be fewer viewers/posts in the track section … i do wish it were more active but i rarely have anything unique to contribute (this post included haha) so i don't often post. seeing a few videos and reading some stories does get me more excited to get back out there myself though!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Just too new of a car for serious track use. The E9x has been out for 6 years yet I see probably 10 E36 and E46 for every one of those at the track.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
i do think that even people who track the car pretty often will spend more time in other areas of the forum .. DD 20 days a month and track it 2-4 days so if proportional amounts of time are spent in the respective forums there will still be fewer viewers/posts in the track section …
I think the big difference is that people DD as a necessity, while the one who track do it as a passion. The track subsection on the E9X forum is pretty active and intense. The F8X are barely out, just give it a little time and this sub forum will become more active.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
sadly most folks just want more power for bragging rights.

im pretty sure members on here that frequent the track will still be able to put down faster consistent laptimes in a bone stock car than the dude who shows up once in a while with 600hp plus e85 plus meth plus NOOOOOSSSSS. the funny part is that dude would literaly either think you have power mods or will go get more power

So true
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
the funny part is that dude would literaly either think you have power mods or will go get more power
Especially this part.

Seen it many times.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Plus, insurance usually (although not always) won't cover track damage.
One example of what has happened recently in insurance is here in North Carolina. For years the state insurance commission prevented changes in policy language with respect to track events; hence you were fully covered for damage to your car and other's cars, BUT most importantly you have full LIABILITY coverage including additional umbrella liability policy coverage. Having full liability coverage is profoundly important in the worst case scenarios where "the waiver" everyone signs becomes insignificant due to complicating factors (there is precedence now).

Last year, they revised the wording to prevent coverage at tracks/events/etc:
Quote:
Liability Exclusion B.3. is being added to exclude liability coverage in excess of the minimum limits required by the financial responsibility law of North Carolina for damages arising out of any prearranged, organized or spontaneous racing contest, speed contest, demolition, stunt activity or competitive driving event (including any practice or preparation for such an event). The exclusion also excludes liability coverage in excess of the minimum limits required by the financial responsibility law of North Carolina for damages arising out of the use of a vehicle at any facility designed for racing or high performance driving, unless it is being used for purposes other than high speed or high performance driving.
All the companies selling "track insurance" are selling physical damage policies for your own vehicle. This will be the least of your worries in the worst case scenario as the potential to incur a lifelong damaging financial liability has now been created since that minimum coverage is $30k per person, $60k per accident total. Since that min limit is imposed on the automotive policy, and it therefore does not reach its actual limit, by law, now, umbrella policies are never activated.

As far as I know, there are no companies writing personal liability policies for track events. This is what matters most while at the same time is a rare event situation.

Of course policy language in NC now excludes physical damages too:
Quote:
Coverage for Damage To Your Auto, Exclusion 14., is being added to exclude damages while occupying any owned or non-owned auto arising out of any prearranged, organized or spontaneous racing contest, speed contest, demolition, stunt activity or competitive driving event (including any practice or preparation for such an event). The exclusion also excludes damages arising out of the use of any vehicle at any facility designed for racing or high performance driving, unless it is being used for purposes other than high speed or high performance driving.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

I did my part in keeping this sub-forum alive Let's see your track videos.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #16
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

This forum is more interested making more power to "smoke you from a roll" rather than actually having the skill to drive the car at speed through a corner.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #17
peter_s
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, Datsun 280Z, MGB GTS V8

My first track day with the M4 is in two weeks time. Can't wait!

Very interesting reading about not caring so much about power upgrades. I mean, what does 40bhp change in laptimes anyway?

I think many of us who track our cars also want the reliability from a stock engine. Road racing really puts strain on all the parts, a tuned car might not do so well.

I used to own a Mini Cooper S with the turbo engine. There were a lot of guys who shot their engines because of bad tunes. They were often way to lean in high rpms and that shot a lot of cylinder heads.

The tuners can bring out all the dyno pulls they want, I still appreciate the tried and well tested stock tune. There is a reason why BMW don't squeeze out the last horses out of the engine...
7:51,4 BTG BMW M4, 8:35 BTG Mini Clubman S, 8:56,6 BTG Swift Stage 2
208 laps on the Nordschleife
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_s View Post
My first track day with the M4 is in two weeks time. Can't wait!

Very interesting reading about not caring so much about power upgrades. I mean, what does 40bhp change in laptimes anyway?

I think many of us who track our cars also want the reliability from a stock engine. Road racing really puts strain on all the parts, a tuned car might not do so well.

I used to own a Mini Cooper S with the turbo engine. There were a lot of guys who shot their engines because of bad tunes. They were often way to lean in high rpms and that shot a lot of cylinder heads.

The tuners can bring out all the dyno pulls they want, I still appreciate the tried and well tested stock tune. There is a reason why BMW don't squeeze out the last horses out of the engine...
Totally agree. I can't tell you how many 335i guys I have seen lose track time due to bad tunes. I tracked my 335i pretty aggressivly (no tune) and never has any limp mode issues. Point is th F8x should be just fine on track with the stock tune.

Are you planning on upgrading pads or brake fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
peter_s
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, Datsun 280Z, MGB GTS V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Totally agree. I can't tell you how many 335i guys I have seen lose track time due to bad tunes. I tracked my 335i pretty aggressivly (no tune) and never has any limp mode issues. Point is th F8x should be just fine on track with the stock tune.

Are you planning on upgrading pads or brake fluid?
Exactly! I'd rather spend the money on a set of Cup tyres instead.

I will upgrade the pads, but I want to try the stock pads first. Gives me a good indication at least, and this track isn't too bad on the brakes. If it were another track I would probably change before hand.

Have you changed pads yet? I really want to try the yellow Pagids.
7:51,4 BTG BMW M4, 8:35 BTG Mini Clubman S, 8:56,6 BTG Swift Stage 2
208 laps on the Nordschleife
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_s View Post
There were a lot of guys who shot their engines because of bad tunes. They were often way to lean in high rpms and that shot a lot of cylinder heads.
Conversely, I used to track my old car (Infiniti G35, same engine as the 350Z), and I added turbos to it, and a pretty agressive tune, and never blew the engine. Closest I came to thinking I had blown it was blowing one of the charge hoses off and having to be towed into the pits.

Always took good care of that car, though, changed the oil the day prior to every track weekend, and watched the temps closely.

Did destroy a transmission, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins
I did my part in keeping this sub-forum alive Let's see your track videos.
I'm not worthy mine still go on m3post e9x old shit forum

I've been asking the mods to put ALL track threads in one but no response.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq
This forum is more interested making more power to "smoke you from a roll" rather than actually having the skill to drive the car at speed through a corner.
its turning into an m5....wait it sort of is
Appreciate 0