THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Internet Browser in idrive??

08-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Question Internet Browser in idrive??

So, not that I was even thinking I needed or would use this "feature" but I saw in an add and also was reading in the manual that there is an Internet browser in our cars??
So I went to my car, plugged in my iPhone 5 via USB and fired up the car.

nothing. nada. zilch....
I have connected drive grabbing my tweets, Facebook worked, news via rss feed. I checked to make sure my iPhone hotspot was on just in case it needed it. I dunno I think i tried everything I could think of.

no browser... anywhere.

so I ask. was this just some sort of marketing thing? is it only available on higher models like the 6 or 7 series? Not in US market?

I am more curious now than anything else.

Does anyone have this feature or can tell me where to look? be very very quiet... Im hunting Browsers... eheheheheheheh

I have a 2014 M235i

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Mine has it. No cell phone required the car has it's own data connection. You need to go to bmw online though it's only available with the highest end head unit so which one do you have?

Canadian car so definitely available in USA.

Do you have the high def widescreen nav system?

* should clarify it's not part of apps or connected drive it's part of BMw Online which is a subscription service. Make sure yours in activated (should come with the car for x months)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
Mine has it. No cell phone required the car has it's own data connection. You need to go to bmw online though it's only available with the highest end head unit so which one do you have?

Canadian car so definitely available in USA.

Do you have the high def widescreen nav system?

* should clarify it's not part of apps or connected drive it's part of BMw Online which is a subscription service. Make sure yours in activated (should come with the car for x months)
According to my build sheet I have the HK Premium sound option so confirmed have best sound option.

I have technology package and drive with wide screen touch pad and BMW Online listed with BMW Apps including enhanced B/T and Smartphone integration.
Also , Drivers assistance, premium package

Hello BMW Idrive M235i by chris favero, on Flickr

I set up my bmw assist when I got it two weeks ago like I always do and I can get to weather, news etc from bmw online option in idrive but it is not a browser. sort of just widgets.

thoughts? contact the dealer? contact BMW assist ( push the assist button)?

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Its under connected drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Its under connected drive.
Photo coming soon but under I drive all I have is BMW online that gives me weather and news etc.

It's like it wasn't turned on when I activated my BMW assist. It's a new car I just took delivery of the 2014 model 2 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Photo coming soon but under I drive all I have is BMW online that gives me weather and news etc.

It's like it wasn't turned on when I activated my BMW assist. It's a new car I just took delivery of the 2014 model 2 weeks ago.
Mistype. I meant under connected drive I inly have the BMW online option for news and weather stuff. That works fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

That's weird. Wonder if it's another US car deprogram thing that doesn't affect CDN cars. If it doesn't come with it, I wouldn't worry too much, it's mostly a parlor trick to impress passengers.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
That's weird. Wonder if it's another US car deprogram thing that doesn't affect CDN cars. If it doesn't come with it, I wouldn't worry too much, it's mostly a parlor trick to impress passengers.

It is pretty useless. Only thing I see it being good for is ironically when I visit the US and don't want to roam on my cell phone lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Peter-K
Private
Rep
Drives: 220d M Sport

In the UK Internet access (6AR) MUST be ordered with the vehicle (£95) and only available if the BMW Professional Media package (ZNP) is also ordered. BMW "customer service" told me it was a factory fitted option. This is their reply after a couple of references to BMW published presentations and the assertion that the only reason that "Internet" couldn't be retrofitted ("turned on") was that they didn't want or couldn't edit the vehicles VIN options:

"Having read the comments you have made, I can confirm that at present, there is no way that the Internet option can be retrospectively fitted. However, an Online Store is in progress for vehicles fitted with the newest Navigation system (like your vehicle) which we anticipate being released in the near future. These models are identifiable by Option 6AC BMW Emergency Call and 6AE BMW TeleServices in conjunction with either Option 606 Business Navigation or Option 609 Professional Navigation.

At present the costs are to be confirmed, however, the store will be available online via the BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Portal and on some models within the car. This will allow the customer to add available services such as Internet to their car after purchase, without the need to visit a dealership. The planned launch for this is Q2 2015 and as soon as we have further information we will communicate it via a Product Bulletin to all BMW dealers who can then inform their customers, as well as the upgrade options becoming available in the BMW ConnectedDrive Portal for customers to view."

And that can be crudely summarised as "Yes your car has all the hardware and we've got a new system to turn on features (but of course we aren't mobile phone service providers and we'll charge you both to connect and use our services.)"

I know nothing about "coding" but is this a reaction to dealers seeing unpaid/unspecified options on cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-K View Post
In the UK Internet access (6AR) MUST be ordered with the vehicle (£95) and only available if the BMW Professional Media package (ZNP) is also ordered. BMW "customer service" told me it was a factory fitted option. This is their reply after a couple of references to BMW published presentations and the assertion that the only reason that "Internet" couldn't be retrofitted ("turned on") was that they didn't want or couldn't edit the vehicles VIN options:

"Having read the comments you have made, I can confirm that at present, there is no way that the Internet option can be retrospectively fitted. However, an Online Store is in progress for vehicles fitted with the newest Navigation system (like your vehicle) which we anticipate being released in the near future. These models are identifiable by Option 6AC BMW Emergency Call and 6AE BMW TeleServices in conjunction with either Option 606 Business Navigation or Option 609 Professional Navigation.

At present the costs are to be confirmed, however, the store will be available online via the BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Portal and on some models within the car. This will allow the customer to add available services such as Internet to their car after purchase, without the need to visit a dealership. The planned launch for this is Q2 2015 and as soon as we have further information we will communicate it via a Product Bulletin to all BMW dealers who can then inform their customers, as well as the upgrade options becoming available in the BMW ConnectedDrive Portal for customers to view."

And that can be crudely summarised as "Yes your car has all the hardware and we've got a new system to turn on features (but of course we aren't mobile phone service providers and we'll charge you both to connect and use our services.)"

I know nothing about "coding" but is this a reaction to dealers seeing unpaid/unspecified options on cars?
Not sure about that being a reaction. I wasn't sure I had activated everything the car has correctly since this is my first car with idrive. Based on what I have read here and other places. I don't have it or could have it if I pay for some convenience option that first come free for the first year like other features. I also totally agree that it's a great parlor trick and since I work in IT I was hoping I had the option to be "that guy" at work and with friends. Lol.

Oh well no browser for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

As far as I know you would need to code the car with a european VIN also I've heard that when you code Internet on the car you will lose bmw assist as it's one or the other....

Some of the i3 available for testdrive events these past months were actually euro cars with euro VINs and you could play with the browser...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

BMW Internet - I was told at encore delivery that you can pay to have it added if you have the Tech Paket, I believe $200-$300. It allows you to browse the internet w/o flash or other media players.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
You have to pay $100 per year to have the internet browser option in the US. You're not seeing it cause you are not subscribed to it. It's an optional addition to BMW assist.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
You have to pay $100 per year to have the internet browser option in the US. You're not seeing it cause you are not subscribed to it. It's an optional addition to BMW assist.
Thanks for all the info! Now that I have my new 2016 with the new connected drive store it shows up as an option to purchase for $100/yr. I'm not gonna do it any time soon but it was nice to know i wasn't missing anything.

--
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
Wstellin
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i conv

Don't be in a rush to install pay for Internet in your BMW. The company in all its stupid wisdom is not renewing or taking new subscriptions for Internet in you car.
Don't ask me why, they give no reason for discontinuing the service. I had it for over a year and when I renewed I was told they were giving me back my $100 because the service was no longer available.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #16
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstellin View Post
Don't be in a rush to install pay for Internet in your BMW. The company in all its stupid wisdom is not renewing or taking new subscriptions for Internet in you car.
Don't ask me why, they give no reason for discontinuing the service. I had it for over a year and when I renewed I was told they were giving me back my $100 because the service was no longer available.
This is only if you have the older internet connection. Basically the technology is being phased out by the internet service provider. Newer cars (mostly 2014 and above I believe) is unaffected.

As for the browser in the car. As long as you have a smart phone there really is no need. In the US the browser might be part of the 200/year concierge service. Not sure as I never had it. I am pretty good at doing the google stuff on my own.
Appreciate 0