BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-19-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Playing DVD on SatNav screen??

Hi

I didn't buy the TV option with my new E92 M3, but can't understand or think of any good reason why I shouldn't be able to play DVD's on the Sat Nav screen, as there is a DVD drive and the screen fitted to my car. Does anyone know why this is disabled as standard and if theres a simple way to enable this functionality?

DC
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDC View Post
Hi

I didn't buy the TV option with my new E92 M3, but can't understand or think of any good reason why I shouldn't be able to play DVD's on the Sat Nav screen, as there is a DVD drive and the screen fitted to my car. Does anyone know why this is disabled as standard and if theres a simple way to enable this functionality?

DC
Plenty of boring technical reasons really ... but think of it like this.

The DVD drive is only one piece to allowing you to view video DVD disks.

Say you have a DVD drive in your computer. The DVD drive can "read" a Video DVD fine but it cant play back the contents on the disk without the right software, such as windvd, or windows media player, etc. That software can correctly decode the mpeg2 video and dolby/pcm/dts audio on the disk.

The software in i-drive was only intended to read the map data DVDs ... and as a sort of by product, it can also read and playback MP3 audio data DVDs as well ... but it can't decode mpeg2 video.

Thats all probably as clear as mud. Best I could do ... without just saying no it can't do it !!

Cheers, Adrian
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks Adrian

Good concise and clear explanation. Shame, but it all makes sense. Typical BMW!! Nothing is for free
Appreciate 0