THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Proper Leather Care and Products?

08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Proper Leather Care and Products?

I'd like to take proper care of my leather seats. Any suggestions. For me, it needs to be the quick and easy approach. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Try to minimize sun exposure, sunshade in windshield very helpful.
Minimize abrasive clothing like denim.
Vacuum or blow off away dust and dirt.
Use soft non-abrasive moist warm clothes to wipe away dirt.
As far as solutions to clean dirt, there are many quality products and many snake oils.
Many leathers are coated. Be careful with steering wheels - my experience is that abrasive or heavy handed wiping mars the surface.

Right now I'm into Zymol ( not cleaner wax ).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Sol_BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I hear really good things about Swissvax.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

All the above in general care and concerns regarding surfaces--especially the wheel.

I clean with a misting of the Griots Interior cleaner...which is totally safe on seats and wheel. Then mist with the G's Leather Care [no I don't work for G's LOL] or Mequires Gold Class, and gently wipe into leather and walk away. I usually do it on a day when leather is warm so the conditioners are absorbed nicely.
It's easy peasy lemon squeesy. I do it maybe once a month.

BTW-- I do like the wheel nice and clean...am not anal about it, but no telling what gets transferred to the wheel with all the store carts, doors and hand shaking, and gas pump handling that goes on. The Interior cleaner does a very nice job of cleaning; but FWIW I spray the microfiber first and then wipe...not spray directly on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

zkeeper, Do you prefer Groit's Leather Care over their Leather 3 in 1? I believe the 3 in1 is new. It contains some UV protection from what they tell me. Leather Care is 70% Conditioner/30% Detergent. Leather 3 in 1 is 60% Conditioner/10% UV/20% Detergent.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I use Groit's leather care. I have used it for years with excellent results. You do need to let the seats dry for several hours after conditioning and wiping down with a micro fiber cloth.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

disco4me...sorry for delay...been out for funeral. I am as above, and have not used the new Griot's 3 in 1--on the trust LeatherCare. I have a trusted G's friend "inside" LOL that says it does go on well, and requires no real waiting time to actually sit on it.

I switched from Meg's Gold Class to G's LeatherCare" only because I felt it lasted longer, and conditioned better--but its all personal. I like the final tactile, aroma and time line. Pt/of/Ref- I come from years from ONLY using Connelly's Brit cream on all my British leather--and that was almost pure tallow. It works...but you have to work it, and it tends to need a LOT of rubbing in to avoid the "splotches" where you placed it first. G's does not.

BTW--Leather Care does not like being applied heavily, [for that matter no prod does well that way] and the wait time is not an issue for me. Its put on covering completely with proper sponge, well rubbed in, and lightly mircof'buffed. By time I have cleaned the shop a bit, and went in to pour some water off the potatoes, seats were ready for driving. I would not put any product on, then just immediately sit on it and go. It's regular upkeep with good leather, not a thick "slap on" every six months. Think of fine leather shoes.

Hope that helps. I do hear the new "3 in 1" is great tho--just have not ordered it yet. And no, am not connected with G's. Others have their favorite prods, but I switched over to simplify my time and life.

Last edited by zkeeper; 08-21-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions. For the most part, I like the idea of trying to stay within one family of products for detailing so I think I will give Groit's 3 in 1 a try. It has UV protection built in which is also good. In between 3 in 1 treatments, Groit's tells me their Interior Cleaner works great on leather.

I'm slightly concerned about Jean dye transfer. Leather Master makes a product called Leather Barrier which helps prevent dye transfer. That is the only dye protectant product I have found on the market. I believe it is silicone based. I'm going to hold off on using it as I'd like to see how things work out without introducing yet another product from another manufacturer.
Appreciate 0