Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Ceramic Brakes Piston Sticking Issue?

My rear brake on my M4 is making a scratching sound. It sounds like metal being scraped on metal. I am guessing that one of the (4) pistons is pushing the pad against the rotor. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyFreddy
My rear brake on my M4 is making a scratching sound. It sounds like metal being scraped on metal. I am guessing that one of the (4) pistons is pushing the pad against the rotor. Is this normal?
Is it insanely hot after a drive?
      08-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
rmedeir1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW MW M4 - MPE, CCBs, all CF

I had a sound like that at 200 miles going in reverse, but my wife who was in the car insisted I had the parking brake on even though I thought the brake handle was all the way down. I lifeted the brake handle and lowered it again and it went away. Not sure if it was a sticking issue or user error. And yes this is on my CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

How long has it been happening? You may well just have a stone or something stuck in there which will wear down
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Is it insanely hot after a drive?
I have not felt it to check the temperature. The noise is noticeable at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
How long has it been happening? You may well just have a stone or something stuck in there which will wear down
I think that you are correct. I am not sure what is happening but your suggestion is the most probable scenario.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedeir1 View Post
I had a sound like that at 200 miles going in reverse, but my wife who was in the car insisted I had the parking brake on even though I thought the brake handle was all the way down. I lifeted the brake handle and lowered it again and it went away. Not sure if it was a sticking issue or user error. And yes this is on my CCBs.
Interesting. You could be on to something. I will try it.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Per another owner it takes a while to heat them up and also if it's cold they will make all kinds of sounds... Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
Per another owner it takes a while to heat them up and also if it's cold they will make all kinds of sounds... Enjoy
Thank you for your input. The sound I have been hearing is like a metal on metal squeel. It's definitely not normal. Also, it's been quite warm so one wouldn't expect the temperature to be an issue.
My thoughts are in line with Paddy335 and rmedier1. Either something is stuck in there, one of the pistons has not fully retracted or the hand brake needs to be raised and lowered.
However, as unlikely as it sounds to me, you could very well be correct. Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
rmedeir1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW MW M4 - MPE, CCBs, all CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyFreddy View Post
I think that you are correct. I am not sure what is happening but your suggestion is the most probable scenario.
BTW...I had the stone/pebble issue happen all of the time with my e46, but it wasnt quite as loud as the scraping noise from my P-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyFreddy View Post
Thank you for your input. The sound I have been hearing is like a metal on metal squeel. It's definitely not normal. Also, it's been quite warm so one wouldn't expect the temperature to be an issue.
My thoughts are in line with Paddy335 and rmedier1. Either something is stuck in there, one of the pistons has not fully retracted or the hand brake needs to be raised and lowered.
However, as unlikely as it sounds to me, you could very well be correct. Thank you for your input.
Take it in that is not normal... I can tell you that if you run the car hard and then park and use the hand brake they do stick at times and it comes from a friend that went through the same thing... I have the steel ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

I am too having the same issue! ALthough I do not have the CC brake's. Its like a metal on metal sound only at low speed when I press the brake pedal. I am bringing my car in to check it out. I will keep you posted

2015 F80 M3: JB4 and MPE

2022 G80 M3CX: At port
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
I am too having the same issue! ALthough I do not have the CC brake's. Its like a metal on metal sound only at low speed when I press the brake pedal. I am bringing my car in to check it out. I will keep you posted
Hey there... Sorry to hear about your issues with your brakes. I took my M4 to the dealer and the mechanics removed all the wheels and put them all back on. I haven't heard anything since. I think that something got stuck between the "thin gauge" metal plates that is behind the rotor and was causing the noise. When the mechanics removed the wheel, it probably fell out. The ceramic brakes are squeaky until they warm up. After they are warm, there is no sound. Let me know what you find out. I am curious. Also, good luck with your brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep

Just an update to anyone interested. It's been a while since I have been on here but I thought it would be good to update anyone interested in my experience with the carbon ceramic brakes.
I took my car to the Dealer to investigate the noises that I heard from the brakes. Amazingly, the noises have all gone. What I have learned is that carbon ceramic brakes take a few thousand miles to wear in - in some case I should add. Once the brakes are worn in, they may squeak from time to time. Squeaking from time to time is not an indication that something is wrong with the brakes, it is merely part and parcel of the construction material of the brakes.
My general opinion on the carbon ceramic brakes is that they are extremely sharp and precise. I realize that $8,000 is a lot of money, but in my worthless opinion, the brakes, the six piston assembly and the overall engineering are simply incredible! And, they look good too.
Appreciate 0