E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > USB connectivity issues - e92

08-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

USB connectivity issues - e92

Hi,

Really impressed with the BMW Professional head unit, but I have issues with the USB. Sometimes it takes forever to 'load' the tracks/files and some of the tracks will not play at all. What puzzles me is that all the files were downloaded from the same source (Amazon) but not all are recognised by the unit.

On a side note, I only just realised that there are 2 subwoofers under the front seats and I wondered why it sounded so great from 2 little speakers in the doors
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Rally_chris
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 330i Msport Touring

Try a different USB stick - I had similar issues with a cheap generic USB stick and then bought a sandisk one following threads on the forum. Now the indexing is much quicker, all the tracks play and it always selects USB instead of auxiliary input when I cycle through the inputs on the head unit (prof nav).

Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_chris View Post
Try a different USB stick - I had similar issues with a cheap generic USB stick and then bought a sandisk one following threads on the forum. Now the indexing is much quicker, all the tracks play and it always selects USB instead of auxiliary input when I cycle through the inputs on the head unit (prof nav).

Chris
Cheers Chris, makes sense. They're £5 ones
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep

Tried a really decent Sandisk Extreme stick and there's no difference .....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Kuroblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

What does the folder structure look like? Just wondering if it's got too many layers perhaps?

I've got about 10gb worth of stuff on a 16gb Sandisk - the really tiny one about 5mm tall - had no issues at all since purchase almost 2 years ago.

How much free space do you have on the stick?

is it picking up album art?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
What does the folder structure look like? Just wondering if it's got too many layers perhaps?

I've got about 10gb worth of stuff on a 16gb Sandisk - the really tiny one about 5mm tall - had no issues at all since purchase almost 2 years ago.

How much free space do you have on the stick?

is it picking up album art?
You're probably right.

I'm not that familiar with how to sort out tracks to files containing music genres etc. What I've done is just drag & drop all the files on Windows MediaPlayer and there's loads of individual files (possibly up to 200). This is probably why I find it so difficult to navigate through them on the head unit. I also find the booklet covering the function of the head unit useless for the section that covers USB input. It's very nondescript.

If anyone has a decent method they use for arranging files on a USB stick for playback on the BMW Professional head unit, I'd be really grateful
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Rally_chris
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E91 330i Msport Touring

I've got the tiny Sandisk stick too, and have only a relatively small amount of music currently on it (I'd guess 5-8gb), arranged into a single level of about 8 folders (kids music, kids stories, adult music etc). The music indexes quite quickly when I select USB on the CCC (not like when I tried a cheapo stick) and it is great because it then allows you to select music by artist, album etc even though the music isn't structured into separate folders for these attributes.

I created my music on the USB simply by copying tracks in windows explorer from my iTunes library folders.

Chris
      08-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep

My car doesn't have iDrive. I guess CCC applies to these cars with iDrive. All my navigation has to be done on the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Kuroblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_chris View Post
I created my music on the USB simply by copying tracks in windows explorer from my iTunes library folders.

Chris
I've done mine this way as well, essentially just copying the album folder to the stick, so a single layer almost - seems to work pretty well.
Appreciate 0