GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
TiAgMC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

streaming audio from phone

I am going to order an M4 soon and just wanting to try and confirm something.

I have a 14 328xi that I assumed I could stream bluetooth audio, upon delivery I realized it requires the enhanced bluetooth option to be able to stream, no big deal.

I'm now going to order an M4 and want to make sure that I get the streaming bluetooth audio with this car, under standard features it states:

• USB audio connection and hands-free Bluetooth including Audio Streaming

So that should give me bluetooth audio then correct? If so what is the benefit of the enhanced USB and bluetooth option? I'd rather not spend the $500 on this option if I don't need it, if it makes a difference I'm using a Galaxy Note 3.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I wish I knew what that $500 buys you. I have it on my F30 and assumed it was necessary for Bluetooth and audio streaming or maybe the BMW apps that interface with iPads and pandora and whatnot.

I'm sure someone on here knows. I swear I read that it was a pointless add on but I only skimmed it and wasn't sure what exactly it did.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Viking123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgMC

I have a 14 328xi that I assumed I could stream bluetooth audio, upon delivery I realized it requires the enhanced bluetooth option to be able to stream, no big deal.

I'm now going to order an M4 and want to make sure that I get the streaming bluetooth audio with this car, under standard features it states:

USB audio connection and hands-free Bluetooth including Audio Streaming

So that should give me bluetooth audio then correct? If so what is the benefit of the enhanced USB and bluetooth option? I'd rather not spend the $500 on this option if I don't need it, if it makes a difference I'm using a Galaxy Note 3.
Streaming audio is standard. The enhanced gives you some office features, a snap in adapter in the mid console, an extra mic, etc. mostly useless stuff IMO.

Do a search, this has been well documented before
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

The FAQ sticky thread has the answer you are looking for.
      08-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
IRNM4N
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgMC View Post

• USB audio connection and hands-free Bluetooth including Audio Streaming

Had the same issue on my wife's 328gt. Could not believe that we couldn't stream via bluetooth. Thankfully this feature is standard on the m4.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
The FAQ sticky thread has the answer you are looking for.
If only there were some sort of thread, in which questions that were asked frequently could be 'stickied' to the top of the forum for those seeking answers. We could call it the 'Frequently Asked Questions' or perhaps, the 'FAQ' thread, for those who like acronyms.

I wonder if such a thing would be useful, and if someone would implement it...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
rottjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m4

TiAgMc

I have the enhanced bluetooth option. Originally I thought it was a waste also. However; now I think it was worth the cost.
-Using a Galaxy S5 I just connect the phone via the phones usb cable and car's usb port. Phone connects.
- Never sync with the bluetooth as there seems to be no need to do so. Everything works using the usb connection
- two mics
- Using the BMW Remote app (be careful,if you don't turn this app off it drains the phone)
-Using the BMW Connected app both apps work, but I mainly use this one because of the features it has. Also, this app finds the car within 1 mi. while the BMW Remote is only about 1/2 mi.
- Album art show on the display if you care about that
- You can sync (2) phones using the bluetooth, but I'm the only driver and again, Everything works without using bluetooth.

Still getting to know the car so there may be other features that I haven't discovered yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottjr View Post
TiAgMc

I have the enhanced bluetooth option. Originally I thought it was a waste also. However; now I think it was worth the cost.
-Using a Galaxy S5 I just connect the phone via the phones usb cable and car's usb port. Phone connects.
- Never sync with the bluetooth as there seems to be no need to do so. Everything works using the usb connection
- two mics
- Using the BMW Remote app (be careful,if you don't turn this app off it drains the phone)
-Using the BMW Connected app both apps work, but I mainly use this one because of the features it has. Also, this app finds the car within 1 mi. while the BMW Remote is only about 1/2 mi.
- You can sync (2) phones using the bluetooth, but I'm the only driver and again, Everything works without using bluetooth.

Still getting to know the car so there may be other features that I haven't discovered yet.
FWIW, i dont have the enhanced bluetooth and the remote APP works for me.
      08-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
TiAgMc

- two mics

The only things you get extra with the enhanced USB and smartphone integration are the extra mic and the ability to sync with 2 phones' content (I think it means you can get contact info out of two phones instead of one. You also get the "Office" feature, but it can be enabled with coding. You have the connector in the armrest but you need to buy a connector plate that works with your specific phone, if BMW even makes one for your phone.

Everything else you listed is standard to all F8x M3 and M4.
      08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
rottjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m4

Thanks Sir for correcting me. Now I'm starting to not like having the enhanced bluetooth again. Should have gotten the extra cameras instead.

By the way you do an outstanding job on tracking the vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Sir for correcting me. Now I'm starting to not like having the enhanced bluetooth again. Should have gotten the extra cameras instead.

By the way you do an outstanding job on tracking the vehicles.
Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your party I was going to get the enhanced BT and smartphone integration option, but I removed it later. The second mic does make it better when the passenger is on the phone.
      08-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
TiAgMC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

but if everyone searched then what would all you trolls have to do with your lives?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #13
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
the ability to sync with 2 phones' content (I think it means you can get contact info out of two phones instead of one.
You can have one phone connected for calls and another streaming audio, eg if you have two people travelling in the car.

Alternatively you can have a phone connected for calls and another device eg ipad, tablet etc connected for audio streaming.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
You can have one phone connected for calls and another streaming audio, eg if you have two people travelling in the car.

Alternatively you can have a phone connected for calls and another device eg ipad, tablet etc connected for audio streaming.
Good to know. Thanks.
      08-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
moonsault270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 F82

There have been numerous threads/posts on this and I still cant figure out what the hell I paid the extra money for lol.

As long as your only concern is streaming music you are fine without it. I have it and the album art/track listing streaming with Pandora doesnt even work properly. The correct song and art is displayed at startup but it doesnt switch to the next track. I cannot get youtube to stream either i have to use the aux cable - I find this highly annoying especially since I paid for "enhanced" whatever it is. My 1200 mile service is scheduled for next weekend Ill have them take a look then.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #16
celler
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post

This sounds pretty cool. How do you designate one phone for streaming and the other for calls? Thanks.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #17
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
This sounds pretty cool. How do you designate one phone for streaming and the other for calls? Thanks.

Craig
I don't have access to the car atm so I don't recall exactly how I did it. However, it does work. We had pandora streaming from my phone and my wife was able to take calls on her phone. I also paired an ipad at one stage for audio.

IIRC correctly when you pair a device there is a box you check to make that device active for audio content.
Appreciate 0