BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

X4 Roof rails

As I ordered a carbon black X4 (with shadowline) and they only come with silver coloured roof rails, I decided not to take them.

Is there a way to get (after market) roof rails (black?) installed on the X4. Any (European) link on where I can order them?

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Jypsie: I also need rails - was forced to buy the silver rails. Black will come next MY.

As of now, there are no aftermarket rails. There will - of course - be spare parts, but you (workshop) has to remove inner roof and drill holes in painted body- which is ugly business.

I paid SEK 3.500 (EUR 400) for my rails - as spare parts and with installation, you will have to pay much more.

Suggestion: You should be able to change your order.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Tjalle: No I am not going to change the order.... and I am not going to put them in afterwards, too much work and I will ruin everything or be too expensive. I was just wondering if there was no system (like Thule) that allows you to put roof rails up for the couple of times I need them (like when we go skiing or on a fishing trip). I have the impression solutions exists, only not (yet) for the X4.....even for roofs without the rails....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Jypsie: There is a small chance, that you can install "old times" carriers, that will grip around the door opening - but there is an obvious risk for paint damage.

"Serious" skiers for the Swedish and Norwegian skiresorts, nowadays sometimes opt for a small hang on loader - that is if you have a towhook.

In the US, in the old days, if a pick-up was not available, people just rented a U-haul - attached it with chains around the bumper - and went for skiing
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you plan on retrofitting, it may make sense to have the factory mount the first set. I'm not sure I'd trust my dealer to get the placement right/drill holes in my roof.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
Tjalle: No I am not going to change the order.... and I am not going to put them in afterwards, too much work and I will ruin everything or be too expensive. I was just wondering if there was no system (like Thule) that allows you to put roof rails up for the couple of times I need them (like when we go skiing or on a fishing trip). I have the impression solutions exists, only not (yet) for the X4.....even for roofs without the rails....
There should be a solution without the rails, just may take some time for Thule, Yakima, etc to have the fit kit for the X4, if it's not interchangeable with other models for a no-rail mount.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
There should be a solution without the rails, just may take some time for Thule, Yakima, etc to have the fit kit for the X4, if it's not interchangeable with other models for a no-rail mount.
Thanks Chrisny,

Exactly what I would think..... Anybody already had a look or has experience with on of those? Thule did not (yet?) had any fit kit, will have a look at Yakima. Any other suppliers I could have a look at, not an expert in this myself and have been surfing around with not much luck....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Thanks Chrisny,

Exactly what I would think..... Anybody already had a look or has experience with on of those? Thule did not (yet?) had any fit kit, will have a look at Yakima. Any other suppliers I could have a look at, not an expert in this myself and have been surfing around with not much luck....
Maybe Rocky Mounts? There are others but I don't know besides thule who for sure makes the no rail mounts. I assume yakima does, but have never checked, as I have the rails on our X5 and don't use racks on my 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wouldn't expect a no rails mount for the X4 from Thule, etc. It's relatively low volume model and most will come with rails.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Nisselauda
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 F33 435iX M-sport

Been mailing with Thule servicecenter and they will have a solution ready for cars without rails in the end of Oct.
      08-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Nisselauda,

That is great news! Will check by end of Oct and see.
I have been looking to contact them myself, but could not find an email or a contact number. Where did you found it? Can you get me the email address?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0