THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BMW Connected / Connected Drive -problems

08-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
BMW Connected / Connected Drive -problems

I cant for the life of me get this app to work consistently. what am I doing wrong?

First day I got the car, I plug in the phone and turn on connected, all apps are loaded configured, and working. ECO Pro analyzer keeping track of my trips and telling me all the details I want to know [start time, stop time, miles driven, MPG] for each trip and stores this info to swipe through and compare.

Well after the first 3 "trips" its stopped keeping track. Few days later, the front screen that shows your gallons left, miles driven, and estimated miles till empty was stuck on info from a few days prior. and it said I had no apps loaded, wanted me to drag up the apps I wanted.

Id plug it in the car and it would not work. App would say to connect to the cars USB. [I have it connected, phone unlocked, MPL is default, phone is charging, etc... all the proper settings and conditions for it to work] but it would still not connect. iDrive would also say to connect the phone or install the connected app on the phone.

eventually after I uninstall and reinstall the app, I get it successfully connected to the car again. I load the few apps I want (eco pro, last mile, etc) but even though it says connected, its not functioning. after I unplug from the car and open connected, its telling me to load the apps I want again even thought I just did prior to plugging it in, and it showed connected.

Even when reinstalling on the phone, re-picking the apps, and plugging it in and showing connected... the iDrive under connected drive does not display the apps I have loaded. (but sometimes when uninstalling and reinstalling it will eventually work)

so basically, sometimes it wont connect, and when it does, it sometimes wont function when connected (same as not even connecting it) I have a Samsung Galaxy S4

1) anyone else having similar issues?
2) where is the best resource to work this out? BMW assist? Dealer? BMWUSA?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
here is another good example... i just went for a ride and the app connected. in iDrive I was able to pick the music player and listen to music off my phone (not connected BT)
I was able to pick the ECO analyzer from the iDrive under connected drive apps. all good.

I get home and unplug... open connected, and the bottom the screen is accurate (gas, last time connected timestamp) but the top half still just shows the boxes around the app and will not let me pick or open any of them.

a good example of I dont know whats wrong because while im driving, it acts like its working but then does not provide any of the data im looking for after my drive. [and I did have the eco app set to automatically save data]

it worked great for about 1 day then stopped working since then.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

did you try restarting your phone?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I have an android and I just quit using connected drive on it. You still have the Eco analyzer you can look at in the car... I personally don't think I would ever want to look at those stats on my phone. The car playing the music via USB, now that I don't know because I always use Bluetooth.

Until they get the M Lap Timer on android connected drive, I would suggest simply not using it. It's fairly worthless from a function and usefulness standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
yes. I have restarted it multiple times along the troubleshooting.

after doing more research, apparently this is a known issue for Android. 1/3 of the Google store feedback gave it a 1 out of 5 stars for this very reason. I guess I'm not alone. very disappointing as I found the eco pro app very useful keeping track of all my trips data. even tell you what percentage of your drive you actually used eco pro and how much mileage you gained from it.

I guess BMW marketing overrides development Alpha, Beta, UAT testing and QC/QA processes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
I would suggest simply not using it. It's fairly worthless from a function and usefulness standpoint.
unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. this app is totally worthless.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

I too had trouble with my Galaxy Phone (S4 and Note 3). I was able to sovle the problem buy purchasing a 5th GEN iPod and leaving it connected to the car. I still stream music from Andriod, but my Connected Apps run from the iPod now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Ah. Works fine in iPhone 5
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep