EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Tire Pressure for the track

I always bump up the PSI for the track to stiffen up the sidewall. What PSI do you run tires at when your on the track?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
I always bump up the PSI for the track to stiffen up the sidewall. What PSI do you run tires at when your on the track?
Sorry, this is wrong. Pressures can increase by 5-7 psi between the start and end of a 15 minute track session. Tire heats up therefore gas expands which causes pressures to rise. If pressures get too high your car will feel like its on ice by the end of the session.

If anything I would let air out at the start of your track day. My guess with the weight of the F8X is maybe start the day with 32 psi all around and check the pressures as soon as you come off your first session. It might be around 36 after the session, and the 4 tires can vary depending on what type of track (left vs right), how aggressive you're driving, and how much understeer / oversteer your experiencing, and how hot it is that day.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
maxd23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk 7.5 GTI Audi R8

Yes, bumping up tire pressures is incorrect. In addition to what MaynardZed said above, you want softer sidewalls to increase grip.

I usually start at 32 psi cold for the first morning run and I check my pressures immediately after each run. Throughout the day I am constantly taking out air until the air/track temps start dropping. Usually last run of the day I have to add a couple psi all around.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I always start 5 to 6 psi less than normal and then gauge from there. To me, it's all about measuring sidewall rollover. Too much rollover and you increase pressure. None at all (that is, wear is not coming to the outer edge of the tread) or the car feels too unstable and I lower it a bit. If you are a baller and have a pyrometer to measure temp across the tread that's even better. Given the F82 is 32 psi, I will like start with 28 and see where that ends up and adjust from there.

Going above the normal street pressure that will only result in too much centre wear, less traction and a car that is way too darty.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Thx I am glad I asked!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
TomTarzian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan Turbo

For track use, Donnie Isley, instructor at the Performance Center, recommends keeping the F80/82 (hot) tire pressures below 36 psi at all times. One of his colleagues suggested starting at 29(f) and 31(r) psi.

Last edited by TomTarzian; 08-04-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Wouldn't the hot pressures depend on the tire compound used?
Appreciate 1
CAOZKAN98.00
      08-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
TomTarzian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan Turbo

Donnie was referring to the OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sports. He spent a day with an M4 at VIR recently.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

spot on, I don't know any Michelins that like hot pressures over 36-37, same with Toyos, but Pirellis and HoHos seem to be different.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
When I was on the track here in Austin driving a 458 Italia the tire pressure light was on. I showed it to the instructor and he said that they take air out of the tires for track racing and that's why there's a warning.
      05-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
poor-sha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Given that this thread is nearly 2 years old I figured there might be some more experience with the F80 on track. What are folks using for starting and target hot temps with the stock MPSS?

I just completed my first track event with this car and started at 31 all the way around but the fronts were up to 48 PSI before the first session was over so I started dropping pressures. I ended up dropping to around 26 PSI starting pressures which is typically where we start the Corvettes on MPSS run flats. That usually brought me in the 32-26 PSI hot pressures but saw a ton of sidewall roll-over and corded the outer edge of the front tires in 2 days.

Since this isn't my primary track car I plan on sticking with the MPSS when I go to the track but can't afford to run through a set of fronts in a weekend. Should I just start at 32 PSI and deal with the high pressures and lack of grip? I surprised both by how much the pressure climbed in this car and how much the sidewall rolled over.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

depends what wheels I'm running...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I posted this here, but thought I'd share since this thread aligns with my experience.

I've been experimenting with this for my upcoming road trip as well as daily driving and track days.

This is the method I follow:
  1. Drive car several miles to get tires up to temperature.
  2. Park vehicle and use a quality digital tire pressure gauge to check pressure. I use a Michelin tire pressure gauge.
  3. Adjust pressure as needed so that all tires are at equal pressure.
  4. Drive vehicle a few miles to get tires back up to temperature.
  5. Compare results with onboard tire pressure monitor.

Ultimately, you would want to balance the tire pressure so that when the vehicle is under load, the tire air pressure remains as equal as possible. For instance, my current set up is the following. This allows room for extreme cases (long road trips, spirited driving, etc.) were the tires are building heat and the air pressure rises to remain under or at the 51psi max pressure recommended by the Continental Tires.

Right front tire: 47.6psi
Right rear tire: 47.3

Left front tire: 47.9psi
Left rear tire: 47.6

Looking at these values you can see that when my M3 is at load the tire pressure remains pretty equal with the lowest value (right rear) 0.3psi under the average value versus the highest tire pressure (front left) at 0.3psi over the average. The added weight from the driver (myself) accounts for the variance. Some fine tuning might bring these values even closer.

**These examples are based on an F80 M3 with a driver at 5'10, 165lbs. Full tank of gas, and no other cargo. Wheels are 19" with OEM Continental Tires. Your experience may vary.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
poor-sha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
depends what wheels I'm running...
Stock 19" wheels and currently on stock sizes (I just found the thread on folks running 275/295 after I bought new fronts).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #15
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
I posted this here, but thought I'd share since this thread aligns with my experience.

I've been experimenting with this for my upcoming road trip as well as daily driving and track days.

This is the method I follow:
  1. Drive car several miles to get tires up to temperature.
  2. Park vehicle and use a quality digital tire pressure gauge to check pressure. I use a Michelin tire pressure gauge.
  3. Adjust pressure as needed so that all tires are at equal pressure.
  4. Drive vehicle a few miles to get tires back up to temperature.
  5. Compare results with onboard tire pressure monitor.

Ultimately, you would want to balance the tire pressure so that when the vehicle is under load, the tire air pressure remains as equal as possible. For instance, my current set up is the following. This allows room for extreme cases (long road trips, spirited driving, etc.) were the tires are building heat and the air pressure rises to remain under or at the 51psi max pressure recommended by the Continental Tires.

Right front tire: 47.6psi
Right rear tire: 47.3

Left front tire: 47.9psi
Left rear tire: 47.6

Looking at these values you can see that when my M3 is at load the tire pressure remains pretty equal with the lowest value (right rear) 0.3psi under the average value versus the highest tire pressure (front left) at 0.3psi over the average. The added weight from the driver (myself) accounts for the variance. Some fine tuning might bring these values even closer.

**These examples are based on an F80 M3 with a driver at 5'10, 165lbs. Full tank of gas, and no other cargo. Wheels are 19" with OEM Continental Tires. Your experience may vary.
The guy asked for tire pressures at the track, not for a road trip. This is insanely bad advice for the track. After I clicked the link of your tire pressure gauge, I took your entire post with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0