EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Researcher
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M235i / C7 3LT Z51

Mustang GT instead of M4

After all they look exactly the same in side profile; excepts a few parts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

2 completely different cars in my opinion... I cant see myself owning a muscle car and i have lots of friends who own muscle cars that would never buy a bmw

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
2 completely different cars in my opinion... I cant see myself owning a muscle car and i have lots of friends who own muscle cars that would never buy a bmw
This! In my opinion muscle car are built with only power in mind and force you to live with uncomfortable interior and not so good quality material. Good news is they come at bargain price tags for the power.

Buying German high power cars give you well...of course power and the interior that you wouldn't even mind to sleep in there. However, great of both world comes with the high price tag.
      07-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yea they look the same.....not
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Every Ford that I have seen that has more than 5 years of age I have to check for engine noise. They are prone to have knocking noises. I buy cars and resell them. Ford just has too many problems for my taste.

For BMW almost every car older than 5 years has sludge built up on the oil cap. (This is due to the long scheduled oil changes). Too many miles before an oil change IMO. But I have yet to see a BMW that has engine noise. It's just been my experience.

Sometimes we rationalize paying less for something when in fact it's because the better car we don't want to spend or can't afford to spend the money on. Not in every case but in many cases.

To me,
Ford GT = Cheap HP, cheap materials and prone to problems later on.
BMW M = Refinement, quality and better overall feel for more money.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Yeah I don't think they look alike at all. Not even close. I would never buy a mustang, but the 2015 does look a ton better.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

They look nothing alike except they are coupes. Try harder
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Copying is a form of flattery...

In the end it is just a cheap knock-off!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

And you have to spend a lot more to get a muscle car to "perform" as performance is a LOT more than mere speed.

It's handling and engineering. Once you have spent that to GET it where you want it, it is still a Ford when you open the garage door each morning. It seems like most of the new muscles still have less than best sheet metal strength, and have to make up their mind when YOU want it take a tight curve without lolling about--unless you spent what you need to try to make engineered like the Bimmer.
But, that's me. Performance for us is turning level, going, damping and stopping--all rolled into one package. I dislike having to pay more to add on for proper engineering. But it's nice to look at--will give them that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tllucas View Post
After all they look exactly the same in side profile; excepts a few parts.
Worlds apart. Not even close.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

trol
      07-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Really? Again? This should be fun. Any chance w3rkn has a twin names lucas?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Neckbeardz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Isn't there already one or two threads comparing the stang?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #14
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Typical badge snobbery in this thread, and its always inverse from the cheapest bmw you get the snootiest
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #15
dwvcfii
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP

The main reason why I'd have a serious aversion to buying the Mustang in spite of recent advances (independent rear, for example) is that it's a Ford and that means I'd had to deal with the Ford dealers -- all of whom haven't the faintest clue how to treat a customer. My BMW center is definitely designed from the ground up to treat customers well:

It has bays into which you drive your car when you arrive for service. Great for getting out of the rain/snow, etc. Ford dealer? Just pull up outside and park somewhere if you can find a spot and walk through the weather to stand on line.

After walking through the door separating the main building and the "arrival bay" you can sit down with your service advisor to discuss the issues at hand rather than just stand there uncomfortably for the time needed to check-in the car.

They typically have well-appointed waiting rooms with pastries, bagles and coffee/tea/soda available free of charge, which make waiting somewhat pleasant.

They always provide a BMW loaner, as opposed to some generic rental car, and generally take requests -- although I've always bought cars from BMW, once I actually requested an X series loaner just so I could test drive it.

Until Ford / GM and the other manufacturers wake up and smell the fresh brewed coffee and start treating customers as they should be treated, I'll stick with BMW / Porsche. It's worth the premium I pay not to be treated like cattle.
      07-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #16
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver View Post
Typical badge snobbery in this thread, and its always inverse from the cheapest bmw you get the snootiest
WTF are you talking about? The OP is comparing the Mustang to the M4. Not exactly the cheapest out there...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver View Post
Please quote the badge snobbery. I don't see it. But what I do see is your post to a thread with no input at all, just a complaint about something that isn't even happening. Waste of a post.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
The main reason why I'd have a serious aversion to buying the Mustang in spite of recent advances (independent rear, for example) is that it's a Ford and that means I'd had to deal with the Ford dealers -- all of whom haven't the faintest clue how to treat a customer. My BMW center is definitely designed from the ground up to treat customers well:

It has bays into which you drive your car when you arrive for service. Great for getting out of the rain/snow, etc. Ford dealer? Just pull up outside and park somewhere if you can find a spot and walk through the weather to stand on line.

After walking through the door separating the main building and the "arrival bay" you can sit down with your service advisor to discuss the issues at hand rather than just stand there uncomfortably for the time needed to check-in the car.

They typically have well-appointed waiting rooms with pastries, bagles and coffee/tea/soda available free of charge, which make waiting somewhat pleasant.

They always provide a BMW loaner, as opposed to some generic rental car, and generally take requests -- although I've always bought cars from BMW, once I actually requested an X series loaner just so I could test drive it.

Until Ford / GM and the other manufacturers wake up and smell the fresh brewed coffee and start treating customers as they should be treated, I'll stick with BMW / Porsche. It's worth the premium I pay not to be treated like cattle.
Amen to that!

I've owned Fords continuously from 1991 to 2012 and I can attest that customer care was not a priority at Ford. Sure, they talked the talk, but in reality, Ford's service procedures are far from a class act. I'm speaking of everything from initial contact (at a counter) to parking (way the heck out in one of their parking lots), crappy waiting room/lounge, sloppily dressed Ford employees milling about, weak coffee, loud TV's. All in all, just no class.

I bought a Mercedes Benz GLK350 in 2012 and my 2014 BMW M235i recently. I am very pleased with how both firms treat me. Private service write-up booths ( read, comfortable and quiet), luxury waiting rooms with Keurig coffee, fresh pastries, good books, comfortable chairs, very clean-cut and nicely dressed employees, free no-password WiFi (and fast, too), large wall monitor where you can actually watch your car being serviced. And not only that, my cars are always returned super clean, not to mention that the dealer facilities are super clean! Oh yeah, the drive-up drop off point is like arriving at a 5-star hotel.

As I mentioned earlier, worlds apart.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I give this thread about 2-3 days before it gets shut down since it's the same one for the third time. It won't take long to regress into the exact same discussions already posted 2-300 times.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I give this thread about 2-3 days before it gets shut down since it's the same one for the third time. It won't take long to regress into the exact same discussions already posted 2-300 times.
I see this perspective on other forums and often find it a bit discouraging. I say discouraging because the poster fails to consider that perhaps the current participants were not around during the first threads on the subject. What is so wrong with new participants hashing out an "old" subject? If you've already been down this path, please feel free to read some other threads.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

To all:
It is very odd to see Johnny-come-lately keep popping up in these threads... to offer opinions based on "I like my bmw..." . Same people who are unable to rebuttal anything, because they wrap their ego all over it.

As a BMW owner and a car enthusiast I have did a great deal of research & reading on the new mustang (s550). Seems most of you have not, thus making your comments laughable and utterly moot.

100% new Mustang deserves a 100% new approach. If you don't want to give any car it's benefit, then continue to be a badge whore... it suites you. But most won't give you the benefit of the doubt, because most here responding don't have an informed opinion on the subject matter.. & those who are informed, will just mock you instead...

Re-read the other threads, same goofballs, whom just bought their fist BMW all upset (emotionally) about comparing a BMW to a Ford. Same people who haven't been following the decline of BMW for the last 20 years and just recently got sucked into their //Marketing.

It is a nervous time for BMW owners...

The Mustang (in its many forms) will compete with BMW is every category and steal a lot of sales. Whether you personally like this or not, doesn't matter. The more One reads about the new s550, the less there is to harp about. This car was engineered correctly.

Obviously, there is a roughly $24,000 difference in price, so One would assume that in the near future you would not be comparing the M4 to a GT, but the SVT (GT350, or Mach, etc..)

Lastly, most here own BMW, that in-and-of-itself, is not a defense... nor a rebuttal, nor an excuse to engage in an illogical manner. We all have opinions...

I understand (it seems) that most in this thread buys BMW's for their creature comforts. Which ones of those are missing from the new Mustang..? Can you do without those particulars for $24k less... (<--the price of a nice winter car). I think a good many Europeans will think so, & I know a great deal of Americans already do... given the amount of BMW owner on the s550 forums.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #22
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
And you have to spend a lot more to get a muscle car to "perform" as performance is a LOT more than mere speed.

It's handling and engineering. Once you have spent that to GET it where you want it, it is still a Ford when you open the garage door each morning. It seems like most of the new muscles still have less than best sheet metal strength, and have to make up their mind when YOU want it take a tight curve without lolling about--unless you spent what you need to try to make engineered like the Bimmer.
But, that's me. Performance for us is turning level, going, damping and stopping--all rolled into one package. I dislike having to pay more to add on for proper engineering. But it's nice to look at--will give them that.
Interesting that the GT will be much faster than the 235I on the track with new IRS but supposedly its handling is terrible? C'mon. And BMWs don't quite have the same great steering feel they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
Please quote the badge snobbery. I don't see it. But what I do see is your post to a thread with no input at all, just a complaint about something that isn't even happening. Waste of a post.
Well I was partly referring to all the other threads with "It's still a Ford" comments, but all you needed to do was scroll up, or down now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I can make it simple....Fords suck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
This! In my opinion muscle car are built with only power in mind and force you to live with uncomfortable interior and not so good quality material.
The new mustang doesn't look uncomfortable at all, but probably not quite the quality of a bmw...but close. It also has heated and cooled seats. Also, its a pony car not a muscle car
Appreciate 0