E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth on dyno

07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
arayz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Meth on dyno

Hi i had 325 whp no meth ( very hot day ) and with meth i got 340, thats 15 whp gains and its to small i should be making more power, we found the problem though, the engine gets to little meth, cuz i had meth all the way home 900 km and it only used 7 liter total (50water/50meth)

The nozzler is a cm10 that should be big enough but i will buy a bigger, u guys think it will help ?

Or its maybe the pump gets to little electracy what i read about in n54 section

I have same kit as hotrod ( cooling mist recomended it, its for n54) but still that should not be the problem its feels like its flucating like a heartbeat (pulse) think it should be stronger

Regards rami
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What tune are you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arayz View Post
Hi i had 325 whp no meth ( very hot day ) and with meth i got 340, thats 15 whp gains and its to small i should be making more power, we found the problem though, the engine gets to little meth, cuz i had meth all the way home 900 km and it only used 7 liter total (50water/50meth)

The nozzler is a cm10 that should be big enough but i will buy a bigger, u guys think it will help ?

Or its maybe the pump gets to little electracy what i read about in n54 section

I have same kit as hotrod ( cooling mist recomended it, its for n54) but still that should not be the problem its feels like its flucating like a heartbeat (pulse) think it should be stronger

Regards rami
Logs? What type of dyno?
      07-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

It's not the meth mixtures or the nozzle.

You need to increase boost and ignition to gain more power. Meth alone with no other changes makes only a little power because of IAT reduction.

We would need before and after logs to determine what was missed.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
arayz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SEC View Post
What tune are you running?
runing a real chip, made from the dyno results
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

You need to increase boost and ignition to gain more power. Meth alone with no other changes makes only a little power because of IAT reduction.

I learned that a few years ago lol!! I had it on my GT30R gti, and was like wtf, no added power, till i got it retuned and upped boost to around 30psi!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
arayz
Private
Rep

Quote:

its a diesel, on a diesel u should gain about 70 whp, it needs to shoot in more meth/water, a real meth kit it should drink all 5 liter in 30 min (friend has another cooling mist kit) all meth is all drinked up after 30 min my last 9 hours..

and cooling mist wasent helpful when mailing them and they recomended this kit, anoter guy (hotrod) runs same kit on his 335i and 335d so something is wrong installed or something
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
its a diesel, on a diesel u should gain about 70 whp, it needs to shoot in more meth/water, a real meth kit it should drink all 5 liter in 30 min (friend has another cooling mist kit) all meth is all drinked up after 30 min my last 9 hours..

and cooling mist wasent helpful when mailing them and they recomended this kit, anoter guy (hotrod) runs same kit on his 335i and 335d so something is wrong installed or something
Sorry, this is not the diesel forum. I still suggest you run logs though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Meth does not spray continuously. It's load based. If you're cruising the 900kms home you could in theory use no meth at all if you don't activate it. Now if you floored the pedal the whole way 900kms you'd last maybe 10 minutes before your meth tank ran out. 7L over 900kms sounds completely normal to me with 1 nozzle and occasional/frequent short WOT pulls on the highway.

I think you need to do some more research on how meth works and how to tune for it. That small power increase has nothing to do with not enough meth flow. You gained power because the DME normally pulls power to compensate for hot IATs. You said it yourself that it was a very hot day. All spraying meth does in your case is lower those IATs to reduce the compensation by the DME. If you were to blow dry ice cooled air into the intake it would probably give you the same power "increase".

You need to tune the car for the extra octane, extra fuel and lower IATs to get more power. It doesn't matter what whoever it was that sold it to you said. That kit sounds like it's working perfectly. You just don't know how to get the most out of it yet.
      07-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Dont tune for meth as fuel....please dont.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #11
arayz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Meth does not spray continuously. It's load based. If you're cruising the 900kms home you could in theory use no meth at all if you don't activate it. Now if you floored the pedal the whole way 900kms you'd last maybe 10 minutes before your meth tank ran out. 7L over 900kms sounds completely normal to me with 1 nozzle and occasional/frequent short WOT pulls on the highway.

I think you need to do some more research on how meth works and how to tune for it. That small power increase has nothing to do with not enough meth flow. You gained power because the DME normally pulls power to compensate for hot IATs. You said it yourself that it was a very hot day. All spraying meth does in your case is lower those IATs to reduce the compensation by the DME. If you were to blow dry ice cooled air into the intake it would probably give you the same power "increase".

You need to tune the car for the extra octane, extra fuel and lower IATs to get more power. It doesn't matter what whoever it was that sold it to you said. That kit sounds like it's working perfectly. You just don't know how to get the most out of it yet.

I did put the meth so it should ve full activated on 0.2 bar so it was activated all the way, why im posting in n54 section is cuz its a n54 made methanol kit and prolly more people have it here then m57 section

Anymore tips, have any of u guys have coolingmist kit ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:18 AM   #12
arayz
Private
Rep

We remapped it like 5 times on same day, so the tune do work with methanol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by arayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post

I did put the meth so it should ve full activated on 0.2 bar so it was activated all the way, why im posting in n54 section is cuz its a n54 made methanol kit and prolly more people have it here then m57 section

Anymore tips, have any of u guys have coolingmist kit ?
Mate, you still don't seem to have grasped the way meth can help make power. Not just in your engine or the N54, but in any engine. Either you just don't know how it works, or you haven't given us enough information about your tune.

I could spray 10L/second with 69 1mm nozzles shoved in all ends and bung holes of the charge pipe and that wouldn't make me any more power. Probably just destroy the engine and everyone's fun in the process.

People have explained above what you need to do to make more power with meth. Volume won't get you anywhere without a proper tune.
      07-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #14
arayz
Private
Rep

Oh thats why my tuner who make his own maps has a 800 whp m3 , nothing is wrong with the tune, when we were on dyno he said him self its drinking to little after like 20 - 30 puls it drank less then half liter

Something is wrong with the kit or how we wired it i will try bigger battery
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #15
arayz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, this is not the diesel forum. I still suggest you run logs though.
Ill message u everything we got from dyno
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
arayz
Private
Rep

Jeff my tuner says Ve gice it 95mg/ml + 7% diesel thats enough for 400 whp +
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Jeff my tuner says Ve gice it 95mg/ml + 7% diesel thats enough for 400 whp +
Not sure how the diesels respond on this platform to meth but with the ones I've worked on it is used mainly as IAT and EGT supression. You gain a little power but it is not used as a power adder. We mostly used nitrous or propane injection to boost the power and spool the turbo on top of bigger injetors. If the 335d is anything like the N54 you have plenty of injector. I'd try looking into the wgdc and the vacuum system to make sure you are getting full boost requested and up it to safe limits for the platform. Really only way to make reliable power on a diesel is to just keep adding fuel/air. If you do want to run meth as a power adder run closer to a 80/20 meth/water mix it will work better than 50/50.

Best of luck.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
11SEC
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

maybe your pump is set to a low psi or your nozzles are clogged.

Did you check your lines? You could have air in your lines because you didn't prime it properly and you're barely flowing any meth.
Appreciate 0