BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Height of i8 with doors fully up

Does anyone know where I can get the height of the i8 with the doors fully up. I want to make sure that the framing of my garage door does not interfere with the doors up. If so I will have to rearrange the garage spots.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

The height from the ground to the top of the open doors is 1958 mm (77.1"). You can see that and other dimensions at the end of the attached file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf i8 brochure.pdf (10.41 MB, 3929 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Awesome thanks for the info!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
granitesentinel
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi 4.2

Does anyone know if there are explosive bolts fitted to the doors or other safety

Features fitted to the doors in case of roll over?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitesentinel View Post
Features fitted to the doors in case of roll over?
The doors would still open enough for egress since the hinge is on the side not the roof, unlike the SLS.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
granitesentinel
Registered
Rep

Thanks! Since we're talking about doors...has anyone tried ingress/egress in tight parking spots and found that materially more clearance is required with 'butterfly' doors? (not that I would ever risk parking that close to someone, but worst case scenario, what extra clearance is required and has anyone tried crawling out the 'escape hatch' rear window
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

One review recently stated that parking in tight spaces is a no-no as the doors do need some clearance and I imagine need to fully open to allow the driver to get out.

And yeah, don't park in tight spaces. I never park in places where I might get door dinged or have a shopping cart rammed into my vehicle.

As for the escape hatch, you'd have to first break the "emergency escape gorilla glass rear compartment divider window" which sits between the cabin and the mid-mounted engine/rear compartment.

A costly endeavor, only recommended in the most extreme of circumstances. And even then, one would most likely need to be a meth-addicted midget to actually fit through the opening there...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitesentinel View Post
Thanks! Since we're talking about doors...has anyone tried ingress/egress in tight parking spots and found that materially more clearance is required with 'butterfly' doors? (not that I would ever risk parking that close to someone, but worst case scenario, what extra clearance is required and has anyone tried crawling out the 'escape hatch' rear window
The clearance required for entry/exit was a question I had as well, as our garage is not particularly wide. At a dealer preview of the car, I actually experimented with getting in and out while the door was only partially open (had someone hold it in the halfway open position). As you would expect, it was tougher than normal, but not impossible. Not something you'd want to do frequently, but can be done in a pinch.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
granitesentinel
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
The clearance required for entry/exit was a question I had as well, as our garage is not particularly wide. At a dealer preview of the car, I actually experimented with getting in and out while the door was only partially open (had someone hold it in the halfway open position). As you would expect, it was tougher than normal, but not impossible. Not something you'd want to do frequently, but can be done in a pinch.
Thanks to all for the rigorous testing!
Appreciate 0