E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Which 2011 328i To Choose?

07-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
BreathLess
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 328xi 6MT

Which 2011 328i To Choose?

So for the past 6 months I've been slowly shopping around for a car and I think I narrowed it down to these 2.

Both are similarly priced and well equipped but I'll list the differences:

2011 328i Sedan with 52k KM (32k Miles)
+Manual Transmission
+ iDrive with Nav
+Sport Package
+Premium package
+Dakota Black Leather
+Factory warranty still remaining.

-$10K Carproof Claim/accident

2011 328i xDrive Touring with 89k KM (55k Miles)
++Touring!!!
+Manual Transmission
+xDrive
+premium package
+Heated Steering Wheel
+Panoramic Sunroof

-Leatherette Black Interior
-$1500 Carproof Claim with confirmed only rear damage (bumper and tail light)

Being in Ontario Canada 6 speed 328i's are somewhat rare and finding a touring with 6 speed is like a unicorn combo. I've been looking for the past 6 months and only 2 before this one has shown up.

Both have been in accidents but at least the touring was only $1500 in damages compared to the sedan's 10K worth. (should I be worried with 10K in damages?)

The sedan still has it's remaining factory warranty. The touring's mileage just went over the warranty period and is somewhat high compared to other 2011's for sale

Touring has xdrive which would come in handy for Toronto's unpredictable winters but I also view rwd equally as a feature and no matter which version I'll have winter tires on when the time is needed

Part of my original search criteria was to find one with at least the sports package. (primarily for the seats) but seeing how touring's never come up I feel I might have to make that sacrifice. Also would prefer leather over leatherette for the choice of colored leather like Dakota brown or white but both of these are black so not a huge negative to not have leather. Both have sunroof's but I always liked how the touring s have the panoramic roof.

Seems like both has their positives and negatives.
Which would you chose?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
some thoughts...

have you driven both? I would think the e91 xdrive is extra heavy and might feel sluggish compared to the rwd sedan.

if rwd manual is really an option for you, why not wait for one without accidents? you've been the one searching, you know better than I if it's worth waiting.

is manual really worth the compromises elsewhere?

are you only considering bmw / 328i? there are many nice cars out there in the price range. If I were valuing the practicality of a Touring, I might also consider a GTI manual with FWD.

good luck, 328i are nice cars regardless. I'm holding on to mine
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
BreathLess
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 328xi 6MT

All good points...

Yes I have driven both models before and to be honest with my normal day to day driving there ain't much of a difference. The biggest difference is the steering feel, and handling but I think it's more because of awd vs rwd + sport package.

As for continuing to search longer, that is on my mind and if choosing the sedan then for sure I'll be able to find one without accidents. Only thing is with my budget of what I want to pay, I would be shopping for an 09 or 2010 but both of these cars fall into my price range and in canada at least to find nav + sport package in a 6 speed is somewhat rare along with finding 6 speed touring is next to impossible.

As for choosing 6 speed, that is a requirement. My first car was stick and now my current car is automatic and it was a big mistake for me. I thought having paddle shifters, and triptronic would be enough but I miss a true stick shift.

Actually I do have a list of potential cars but would rather Lean towards the bmw. I'm also considering the VW, gti, gli, cc, Audi a4, Lexus is250 or an Acura tsx.

The gti and cc are also top of the list but I find the resale value of a gti to be fairly high, I really like the cc but finding one in 6 speed is very rare and the gli is just an okay car. The audi a4 holds it's value very well and unless it's an s-line I find it fairly boring and would rather save money and just get a vw. I like the Lexus but it feels like the slowest of the bunch and it's also really hard to find stick plus if you do they are expensive. Acura tsx also feels a bit boring and the used prices is too high for what you get.

I'm also thinking the the e90 bmw as it's one of the few sedans left you can find in 6 speed with an inline 6 and rwd. The current trend these days is turbo 4's and fwd based.

Don't want a 335i as with my budget It would get the n54 motor and I would rather not risk having the reliability concerns. I like how the n52 is not direct injected and just a natural aspirated motor. A 2011+ n55 is nice but it's out of my price range. Also don't feel like I "need" all that power from a 335i.

Last edited by BreathLess; 07-20-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0