Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
ixsaves13
M3 YAS, DCT, Exec, full Merino, lighting, HK, AS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 - On Order

CCB Kit worth some sacrifices? Opinions needed

So I put my order in this past week and am going back and forth whether to sacrifice some options for the big brake kit or not...

Current order:
M3 Sedan
Mineral White
19" Black Wheels
Full Black Merino $2650 (upgrade from extended)
Exec. Package $4300
Lighting Package $1900
Adaptive Suspension $1000
DCT
H&K Sound system

For me to get the CCB I would sacrifice the full merino (to extended), exec pack (only really care for the HUD and comfort access - which i've heard only is on the driver / passenger front doors), and (one of either the adaptive suspension or lighting package).

Do you think the MCCB is worth the sacrifice of the options above? I've driven Evo's, and a Supra, so this is my first BMW, let alone an M3. Wanted to get your seasoned experience and feedback as I have till the end of the month to make any changes to my order. I am not planning on modifying the car at all so it will sit as is.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Stock brakes good enough? Would not getting some packages effect the resale value much from previous version history?

thanks,
Eugene
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
svc0x80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

IMHO, it would be easy to add CCB/BBK later. You can't do the same with the exec pack or full leather. Most people don't need the CCBs and the stock brakes are good enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Not worth the sacrifice IMO. You're giving up a whole lot for very little
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsaves13 View Post
So I put my order in this past week and am going back and forth whether to sacrifice some options for the big brake kit or not...

Current order:
M3 Sedan
Mineral White
19" Black Wheels
Full Black Merino $2650 (upgrade from extended)
Exec. Package $4300
Lighting Package $1900
Adaptive Suspension $1000
DCT
H&K Sound system

For me to get the CCB I would sacrifice the full merino (to extended), exec pack (only really care for the HUD and comfort access - which i've heard only is on the driver / passenger front doors), and (one of either the adaptive suspension or lighting package).

Do you think the MCCB is worth the sacrifice of the options above? I've driven Evo's, and a Supra, so this is my first BMW, let alone an M3. Wanted to get your seasoned experience and feedback as I have till the end of the month to make any changes to my order. I am not planning on modifying the car at all so it will sit as is.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Stock brakes good enough? Would not getting some packages effect the resale value much from previous version history?

thanks,
Eugene
A BBK is ALWAYS an easy add-on. Not so much for full leather and CA. IMHO, I wouldn't get the CCB's.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Taito
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 Alpine White

CCB is good if you are going to track it alot. Like the others said though, you can easily add that later, you can't add the other stuff you mentioned later.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
ixsaves13
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the quick replies! Definitely makes a lot of sense keeping the other options, but the bug hit me hard for the CCB.

Got my production week of 35. Car should be at the dealer by the first / second week of Oct!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taito
CCB is good if you are going to track it alot. Like the others said though, you can easily add that later, you can't add the other stuff you mentioned later.
i dont understand this thought.

Ccb is god only if you track a lot? how much will rotors be?! is rather buy a bbk which will cost less in track maintenance costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post

Ccb is god only if you track a lot? how much will rotors be?! is rather buy a bbk which will cost less in track maintenance costs.
The only people who say a ccb is good for track are the ones who don't track their cares :twocents:
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Yes, get the CCBs. You don't need extended leather or any of the fluff in the exec pkg. The CCBs are sick. I always go performance over luxury.

All of that being said, the stock brakes are pretty damn good and will be overkill for 99% of people buying this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

No, enjoy some of the luxury items you are going to get instead of the CCBs which you won't even be able to tell the difference in over the phenomenal stock brakes.

You'll use the leather, CA, HUD, etc everyday and enjoy it everyday. The CCB, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
The only people who say a ccb is good for track are the ones who don't track their cares :twocents:
All the porsche guys I know with ccbs who track theirs cars switch to steel brakes for the track.

But most people here, like me, will tell you to forgo the ccbs because that's what most buyers, like me, did (per sir loins thread). So you're getting sampling bias.

May be best to find out why people who have selected ccbs decided to get them. Most if what I've read, it's a combo of cool/bling/looks/etc
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3
Quote:
All the porsche guys I know with ccbs who track theirs cars switch to steel brakes for the track.

But most people here, like me, will tell you to forgo the ccbs because that's what most buyers, like me, did (per sir loins thread). So you're getting sampling bias.

May be best to find out why people who have selected ccbs decided to get them. Most if what I've read, it's a combo of cool/bling/looks/etc
It's total bling ( and maybe some weight savings).

Most people that track these cars will have a hard time overworking the stock brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post

exactly what i was getting at
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

CCB is the most over-priced and least well understood option available for this car. It is not actually understood what the braking benefit is compared to the steel brakes.

You have a VERY experienced racer on here (Karussel) who has reported that full days of tracking the car on a high-speed track, with no cool down laps, and the stock steel brakes held up just fine. STOCK. Not track pads, not brake fluid changes, STOCK.

So, please, someone tell me what you are getting for $8k in the CCBs? They look cool? Kinda. But then, they represent a major potential issue if something hits them (they shatter easy), maintenance is a problem, god forbid you are in an accident the car will be in the shop for ages because CCBs take so long to produce and are not yet stocked up anywhere....

So to recap:

1. More ownership hassle
2. No known performance benefit yet, even under extensive tracking conditions
3. Probably able to nearly match their supposed performance with just track pads and fluid if you are a track junkie
4. Ridiculous overpriced cost
5. Look cool

If $8k had that little meaning to me, I wouldn't be buying an M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

So true
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
CCB is the most over-priced and least well understood option available for this car. It is not actually understood what the braking benefit is compared to the steel brakes.

You have a VERY experienced racer on here (Karussel) who has reported that full days of tracking the car on a high-speed track, with no cool down laps, and the stock steel brakes held up just fine. STOCK. Not track pads, not brake fluid changes, STOCK.

So, please, someone tell me what you are getting for $8k in the CCBs? They look cool? Kinda. But then, they represent a major potential issue if something hits them (they shatter easy), maintenance is a problem, god forbid you are in an accident the car will be in the shop for ages because CCBs take so long to produce and are not yet stocked up anywhere....

So to recap:

1. More ownership hassle
2. No known performance benefit yet, even under extensive tracking conditions
3. Probably able to nearly match their supposed performance with just track pads and fluid if you are a track junkie
4. Ridiculous overpriced cost
5. Look cool

If $8k had that little meaning to me, I wouldn't be buying an M3.
Exactly, not to mention I've read several reviews as well where the bite of the CCB's takes a while to warm up compared to the steel brakes.

I would certainly skip on this option for the street. And most definitely if I tracked, I would just switch to a BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I'm in the minority, although I don't disagree with any of what has been posted. different tastes/desires.

I'm forgoing the Exec Pack and Lighting Pack to make room for CCB's (keeping the manual trans helps, too).

because race car...

EDIT: forget the math on the brake choice - it doesn't justify the CCB's. but nor does math justify any of the other options (exec, lighting, sound, etc.). at the end of the day, this car is a consumable, and you should go with what will make you happy. for me, just the sight of those monstrous gold calipers and ceramic rotors will put a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think its worth the sacrifice. They do "look" cool though

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
svc0x80
Private First Class
Rep

Keep in mind it would cost $18k to replace just the 4 rotors.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #20
boogie1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

i wanted the ccb, then drove the m4 with stock brake. i ordered stock brake if that helps any. amenities you will appreciate daily vs a fraction of a performance advantage maybe a couple times in the cars life? first world issues…….
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
ixsaves13
United_States
Rep

Boogie1 - you comment on "first world problem" made me LOL!!!

I'm glad I posted up here my thoughts on this as it looks like a lot of people considered them at one point. It doesn't look like I would utilize them on a daily basis. I'll keep the other options.

Thanks!!

Anyone in the OC getting theirs soon? Can't wait till mine comes.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #22
mattwhite
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, MP4-12C

I can't imagine paying over 10% of the value of the entire car for an option that really gives you no additional real-world benefit, and will potentially cost you substantially more in the long run. The replacement cost of CCBs is huge compared to steel and the number of situations where they can be damaged are far more. Have a hard off or go into a gravel trap at the track and one or more of your CCBs could be done to the tune of several thousand dollars per corner. And you have to be infinitely more careful removing wheels, changing pads, etc. (and plan to never take your car to any tire shop, etc., there's just too much risk some yahoo could scratch or damage a CCB).
Appreciate 0