EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Question coding for reduced HP or lower revs?

Is there any way to code reduced HP or revs? I read on another thread that the car is coded for lower HP before it gets to the dealer. The reason I would like to do this is to prevent any 3rd party maintenance people from driving the shit out of my car like they usually do. I took my E92 in for service one time, and I got it back with the MPG average as 8.2. So, they obviously drove the crap out of it while I was not there.

I know this can be easily done on other cars.. I test drove a tesla and it was limited to 80mph. The guy told me that it can easily be done without any OBD cable even on a tesla.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Caelric
Banned
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
. I took my E92 in for service one time, and I got it back with the MPG average as 8.2. So, they obviously drove the crap out of it while I was not there.
Not necessarily. It could have been idling for a while, and could have been driven aty low speeds around the block with lots of stop/start time. Often times, the required tests to ensure whatever problem you brought it in for require certain driving patterns, and MPG alone is definitely not a conclusive piece of evidence that your car was abused.

Not all service people are bad, and not all of them take your car out for a spin at crazy speeds.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Only way to do this atm is to install piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Gas mileage will drop rapidly if the car is left in a stationary idling position- bleeding the cooling system, testing the AC, listening for noises, and a multitude of other tests necessitate idling a car for extended periods. It's possible that the technicians did not drive the car hard at all.

With that said, there's unfortunately not a "valet mode" for the F8x chassis cars at the moment. You could always drive the car in with relatively low fuel- this sometimes discourages techs/porters from driving the car excessively as they have to re-fuel the car to take it out.
      08-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #5
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
relatively low fuel- this sometimes discourages techs/porters from driving the car excessively as they have to re-fuel the car to take it out.
I tried with my m5 and they gave it back with 10miles to empty lol meanwhile I filled the loaner car back up :/
Appreciate 0