THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Cleaning Engine Bay

07-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

Cleaning Engine Bay

Do any of you clean your engine/engine bay? If so what equipment do you recommend and what cleaning products should I use?

Thanks
m
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Carburator cleaners and alot of towels or tape up all electric parts and power wash
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I use similar products in the engine that I use on other similar surfaces on the exterior and interior.

I'm weary of too much moisture in the engine bay but do like to flush out the fins of the radiator, flowing the water out forward toward the front. But things like the hood latch and hinge that may have been lubricates may be best if left dry. And strong streams of water have to be checked near HVAC intakes and engine intakes.

Salt from winter is really my biggest concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

good stuff guys thanks... what do you think of having engine detailed? I see some steam clean?.?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I would never steam clean a modern engine. Most engines are plastic encapsulated top and bottom and you don't get oil seepage like on old time engines; no power steering oil, engines are sealed better eliminating oil fumes, and electrical/computers hate steam.

Plus today's cars have smaller air-intake grills and other vehicles are cleaner so less road tar/oil gets slung into the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

The same stuff I use to clean my Enduro motorcycles, VP Racing PowerWash. You can spray hoses, plastics, metal, etc. without having to cover them up. Wet all surfaces with water, spray PowerWash and let sit 5-10 minutes and rinse off. Just be careful of electronics that shouldn't get direct water spray.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-racing-fuels-powerwash
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Post above has it. A tip or two FWIW: of course always do it with a cool motor. If its really gunked up, then you will need to follow the instructions on the heavier motor cleaners. BUT for a new model, keep the major electrics covered with a plastic grocery bag, lightly wet, [and I use the Griots Engine cleaner] let sit for a couple of minutes, and lightly brush with a soft bristle brush.

I also have a pair of cotton gloves and wash around items with my hands--under pipes, hoses, etc as your hand gets where brush missed. Then lightly rinse. I am not a fan of power washing...tho I know guys who do it all the time. It would have to be realllllly dirty to do that. Then dry as much as you can to remove water spotting, remove bag and start'er up. That's just my reassurance sound. Shut it down and dry it off. I wash maybe 2-3 times a year, but it all depends on your local dirt/levels. If you live in Topeka---well that's a bit different than Santa Barbara. BUT, nothing runs like a clean motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Post above has it. A tip or two FWIW: of course always do it with a cool motor. If its really gunked up, then you will need to follow the instructions on the heavier motor cleaners. BUT for a new model, keep the major electrics covered with a plastic grocery bag, lightly wet, [and I use the Griots Engine cleaner] let sit for a couple of minutes, and lightly brush with a soft bristle brush.

I also have a pair of cotton gloves and wash around items with my hands--under pipes, hoses, etc as your hand gets where brush missed. Then lightly rinse. I am not a fan of power washing...tho I know guys who do it all the time. It would have to be realllllly dirty to do that. Then dry as much as you can to remove water spotting, remove bag and start'er up. That's just my reassurance sound. Shut it down and dry it off. I wash maybe 2-3 times a year, but it all depends on your local dirt/levels. If you live in Topeka---well that's a bit different than Santa Barbara. BUT, nothing runs like a clean motor.
Appreciate 0