European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

07-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Wheel Fitment BEWARE!

So I got a set of E60 535i wheels since they are very similar offsets and same widths for winter use... Yeah they don't clear the back clips on the caliper for the front or the back. I don't even think spacers will help seeing as the wheel itself is the same circumference all around.. I'm pretty mad. So if anyone is looking for a set of 535 wheels... I've got some haha.

Looked at the our OEM 18s that came with the car.. It steps down to allow for clearance.. No clue how to even find aftermarket wheels then with this feature...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB/BB E90 M3

please post wheel size and offsets so everyone will know what the specs are. it will be helpful.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic6 View Post
please post wheel size and offsets so everyone will know what the specs are. it will be helpful.

thanks!
So, the F80 18s OEM sizes are..

SUMMER WHEELS
(F) 9 x 18 ET29
(R) 10x18 ET40

WINTER WHEELS
(F) 8.5 x 18 ET27
(R) 9x18 ET29

The E60's 18s are...
(F) 8 x 18 ET20 - (R) 9x18 ET32

So the rear is only 3mm off, I don't think a 5mm spacer would actually solve my problem. And the front should fit almost perfectly with extra clearance but the clips still rub.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep

you have plenty of room to play with. honestly to get a nice fitment you could run a 10-15mm spacer on the front and for the rear a 15mm and still be fine! they would still sit in the fender and not be too flush.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
you have plenty of room to play with. honestly to get a nice fitment you could run a 10-15mm spacer on the front and for the rear a 15mm and still be fine! they would still sit in the fender and not be too flush.
But it is not the spokes (that spacers can solve) that are the issue, it is the barrel that touches the calipers as I understand it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right. Fitment wise it's fine. The problem is the barrel of the E60 wheels are slightly too narrow to fit the clips on the back of calipers. I wish I could have gotten a good photo of it.

Noticed in the first picture here..

the OEM wheel is narrower towards the outside of the wheel and then dips in and the barrel is now wider all around. That's where the caliper clip starts.

The clip I'm talking about is this guy..

This picture is pretty unhelpful, but this is when the E60 wheel is on.. The clips are touching the barrel to the point where it doesn't allow the wheel to spin freely

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
But it is not the spokes (that spacers can solve) that are the issue, it is the barrel that touches the calipers as I understand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
Right. Fitment wise it's fine. The problem is the barrel of the E60 wheels are slightly too narrow to fit the clips on the back of calipers. I wish I could have gotten a good photo of it.

Noticed in the first picture here..

the OEM wheel is narrower towards the outside of the wheel and then dips in and the barrel is now wider all around. That's where the caliper clip starts.

The clip I'm talking about is this guy..

This picture is pretty unhelpful, but this is when the E60 wheel is on.. The clips are touching the barrel to the point where it doesn't allow the wheel to spin freely

oh shit! that sucks!! sorry about that. i thought it was a spoke issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh shit! that sucks!! sorry about that. i thought it was a spoke issue.
Yeah. I just want to warn people before they go out & buy wheels that apparently offset isn't the only thing we need to look for now.. barrel size is.. which I don't think that's listed in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
That's a bit scary, I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on why this is happening. It's very weird that the barrel would be so much smaller to cause this issue... I guess if your going 19s it's not something to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive
That's a bit scary, I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on why this is happening. It's very weird that the barrel would be so much smaller to cause this issue... I guess if your going 19s it's not something to worry about.
It's true but I imagine a lot of people are going to be getting 2nd hand 18s for winter..

I'm too scared to buy another set.. I even called the dealer today asking them how much the winters are.. they said they wouldn't know until September.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It's true but I imagine a lot of people are going to be getting 2nd hand 18s for winter..

I'm too scared to buy another set.. I even called the dealer today asking them how much the winters are.. they said they wouldn't know until September.
Try some Apex EC-7 18's. I know they clear 380mm Brembo brake kits for the E9x M3 platform.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
StageIIGroup
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
From my experience, wheels vary in caliper clearances from different wheel manufactures. A while back when I was selling VMR and Avant Garde wheels, an 18'' Avant Garde wouldn't clear the 335i/330i brake calipers while the VMRs cleared without an issue.

I would suggest looking at some aftermarket wheel options for an 18'' wheel setup for your M3/M4.

-Frank
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

So this morning.. I stuck the BMS pin in so I could hang the wheel there. I pulled it so that it was just barely hanging off the lip of the hub and it seems to have just enough clearance to rotate around the caliper clips.

I measured the hub lip and it's roughly a bit over 10mm.. so I might try a 10mm spacer to see if that fixes the problem. I would need 4 unfortunately since it looks to be the same prob all the way around. If this works I'd be SO happy.

With the spacers though.. there's gonna be about 5mm of extension than OEM summers.. so hopefully rubbing doesn't happen.. I feel 5mm is small enough that it should be alright?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
So this morning.. I stuck the BMS pin in so I could hang the wheel there. I pulled it so that it was just barely hanging off the lip of the hub and it seems to have just enough clearance to rotate around the caliper clips.

I measured the hub lip and it's roughly a bit over 10mm.. so I might try a 10mm spacer to see if that fixes the problem. I would need 4 unfortunately since it looks to be the same prob all the way around. If this works I'd be SO happy.

With the spacers though.. there's gonna be about 5mm of extension than OEM summers.. so hopefully rubbing doesn't happen.. I feel 5mm is small enough that it should be alright?
I would use a 12mm spacer, not really a fan of 10mm spacer. Some manufacturers won't carry 10mm spacers.

See the quote from Turner Motorsport's web page for an explanation.

"A note about 10mm spacers: Any 10mm spacer is considered a custom fitment. The stock hubcentric lip on BMWs can stick out by as much as 11mm. This leaves a gap between the spacer and the hub which seriously compromises safety. We recommend using a larger spacer (12mm and larger do not have this issue) or check that the lip sticks out less than 10mm." Turner Motorsports

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-43...lications.aspx

You will not have a problem with rubbing. Have you seen some wheel fitment threads on here?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC
Quote:

I would use a 12mm spacer, not really a fan of 10mm spacer. Some manufacturers won't carry 10mm spacers.

See the quote from Turner Motorsport's web page for an explanation.

"A note about 10mm spacers: Any 10mm spacer is considered a custom fitment. The stock hubcentric lip on BMWs can stick out by as much as 11mm. This leaves a gap between the spacer and the hub which seriously compromises safety. We recommend using a larger spacer (12mm and larger do not have this issue) or check that the lip sticks out less than 10mm." Turner Motorsports

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-43...lications.aspx

You will not have a problem with rubbing. Have you seen some wheel fitment threads on here?
Gotcha. I'm glad you said something before I placed an order. So I'll look for a 12-15mm then.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

12mm spacers ordered! Crossing my fingers this does the trick..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

When I was in Europe for my ED I bought a set of 19s and those 19s didn't fit for the same reason. They actually could bolt on, but they barely rubbed the same way the OP mentioned. So all 19s won't work even on the Steel brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Upon trying out the 12mm spacers today.. although I didn't bolt it up, I was able to mount it on the spacer's hubcentric ring & the wheel was able to rotate without scraping the caliper clip!! I checked the front.. I didn't test fit the rears.

Another note.. the extended bolts I received were not the same thread pattern as the e9x bolts.. That's annoying...

So, that's SOMETHING ELSE we need to keep in mind...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Upon trying out the 12mm spacers today.. although I didn't bolt it up, I was able to mount it on the spacer's hubcentric ring & the wheel was able to rotate without scraping the caliper clip!! I checked the front.. I didn't test fit the rears.

Another note.. the extended bolts I received were not the same thread pattern as the e9x bolts.. That's annoying...

So, that's SOMETHING ELSE we need to keep in mind...
Really, who did you get the extended bolts from?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Really, who did you get the extended bolts from?
It came with the spacers on eBay. After looking it up, looks like as of the F30 chassis the thread pattern changed for the lugs.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
It came with the spacers on eBay. After looking it up, looks like as of the F30 chassis the thread pattern changed for the lugs.
Yeah, M14x1.25 is size you need.

http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-pr...l#.U8gpY_ldUmk
Appreciate 0