EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
No CCB reviews from private owners yet???

I've been reading a lot of reviews by private owners about how great the regular brakes are, but have not seen a single one from owners that have the CCB option.

Really interested in how they behave under normal driving conditions.

Anyone???
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I believe everyone has the standard brakes because not many are willing to pay the price for CCB.

Cheers.
      07-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I test drove an M3 yesterday with CC brakes. Very cool. This is what I wrote in a different thread.

Felt more like racing brakes. Less initial bite than my E92 with OEM pads so I bet you need to get some heat into them. Plus they squeal a little bit. Very cool. If I spec one I'd probably spec the CC brakes for the track, but they would probably be overkill for my driving ability. But they look awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I believe everyone has the standard brakes because not many are willing to pay the price for CCB.

Cheers.
If Sir Loin's thread has captured accurate data there are some owners here with CCB.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I have the CCB's and just put on 2600km in 4 days over all weather types. From torrential downpour to 90 degree weather to 4000meter elevation at 32 degrees. I drove the Maisach BMW M4 with std brakes at the trainng center and they are very good. The CCB's are better in all areas aside from when being wet. I can see this being a issue down the road for some. At 180km/hr in hard rain on the way to Nurnburg it took 3 applications to get brake effect. On the first application there was nothing, and I am not exaggerating this. So beware people that have ordered these. I was warned by a BMW R&D guy who was on the trip with us and that warning came in useful. Periodic light applications when cruising in rain is needed. Apart from that they are more than worth the money. Initial bite is incredible and consistency is for sure the strong point. I could not over drive theses brakes. The Super Sports are very impressive to hold the type of braking I was doing. I also felt zero ABS interruption.The M4 I drove at Maisach had BMW performance pads installed on std brakes and they were still not up to the CCB's performance. Very good but let's be real here. Hope this helps. Any questions please just ask me. To add to this, I do feel the deciding factor certainly is you looking at your own personal driving styles and possible track time. Cheers!

Last edited by VCP; 07-04-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cc

The brakes have been tested to stop and act exactly the same. Difference being: cc will be louder(squeaky) in normal driving and on the track there will be no( or much less) fade.
      07-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I drove an M5 with CCB, and couldnt tell the difference. Maybe M3 is different.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

No squeaks here. After a half lap around Norisring and then into Nurnburg at slow speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NNIS View Post
The brakes have been tested to stop and act exactly the same. Difference being: cc will be louder(squeaky) in normal driving and on the track there will be no( or much less) fade.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

I think unless you are a track rat CCBs will be a waste...or if you just like to show off.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
I've been reading a lot of reviews by private owners about how great the regular brakes are, but have not seen a single one from owners that have the CCB option.

Really interested in how they behave under normal driving conditions.

Anyone???
The regular brakes ARE great. There is truly no NEED to opt for the CCB's.

That said, I have the CCB's. I encountered some heavy rain on the way back to Munich from Italy and the initial lack of bite was rather apparent.

My brakes squeak constantly when the car is in motion. It should be noted that they didn't make any noise until after a couple of parade laps at Spa.

So far, the biggest benefit of the CCB's is that it made it easier to find the car in a sea of AW M4's.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
cws
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 DCT ZCP

One of the big benefits of the CCBs is unsprung weight. With the Porsche GT3 the Michelin Cup Sports are lighter tires, the aluminum wheels were lighter than stock. The CCBs will improve handling...

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
One of the big benefits of the CCBs is unsprung weight. With the Porsche GT3 the Michelin Cup Sports are lighter tires, the aluminum wheels were lighter than stock. The CCBs will improve handling...

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html
I would love to see a head to head Nurburgring or similar course run comparing standard with CCB brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

And case closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I would love to see a head to head Nurburgring or similar course run comparing standard with CCB brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Truly no NEED. I truly disagree. What was your Spa lap time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
The regular brakes ARE great. There is truly no NEED to opt for the CCB's.

That said, I have the CCB's. I encountered some heavy rain on the way back to Munich from Italy and the initial lack of bite was rather apparent.

My brakes squeak constantly when the car is in motion. It should be noted that they didn't make any noise until after a couple of parade laps at Spa.

So far, the biggest benefit of the CCB's is that it made it easier to find the car in a sea of AW M4's.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Truly no NEED. I truly disagree. What was your Spa lap time?
This is the first time that a M3 could be tracked extensively with completely stock (steel) brakes. What fault do you find with the standard brakes? While I am perfectly happy with the performance of the CCB's, I cannot say that they are required for track use.

I did not run any timing/filming equipment on my car as all I did were parade laps.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

If tracked extensively you will need the performance pads for sure. I never said there was a fault. I said the individual will have to look at there driving habits and choose. The CCB's are better for aggressive/extensive tracking. Not a fault of the Std brakes.

Quote:
This is the first time that a M3 could be tracked extensively with completely stock (steel) brakes. What fault do you find with the standard brakes? While I am perfectly happy with the performance of the CCB's, I cannot say that they are required for track use.

I did not run any timing/filming equipment on my car as all I did were parade laps.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I think unless you are a track rat CCBs will be a waste...or if you just like to show off.
All the Porsche and ZR1 guys with ceramic brakes end up swapping them out for steel and putting them back on the car for resale.

A damaged ceramic rotor is too expensive to repair. You have to be ballin' deep to use a wear item like that on the track, and even those who could mostly don't.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If tracked extensively you will need the performance pads for sure. I never said there was a fault.
No, you won't need the performance pads. That's what you fail to understand. The cars performed well at Spa with absolutely no modifications. It was very impressive.

Which tracks did your group drive on?

Quote:
The CCB's are better for aggressive/extensive tracking.
Better in what way?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Fair enough. Enjoy your brakes.

Quote:
No, you won't need the performance pads. That's what you fail to understand. The cars performed well at Spa with absolutely no modifications. It was very impressive.

Which tracks did your group drive on?

Better in what way?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
If tracked extensively you will need the performance pads for sure. I never said there was a fault. I said the individual will have to look at there driving habits and choose. The CCB's are better for aggressive/extensive tracking. Not a fault of the Std brakes.
Stock for stock, the CCB will likely be better at the track due to better fade resistance. But, IMO, with good track pads, the advantage of CCB over the iron discs will be marginal at best. However, the CCB will likely be significantly more expensive to run at the track (extremely high replacement cost). There are plenty of threads with good discussions on the topic.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Prefer Brembo steel rotors on my GT3RS to the ceramics the car came with. I have the ceramics in a box to put on the car if I retire the car from track use. A friend who is a better driver than I am improved his lap times when he switched to steel rotors from ceramic. He wore his ceramics out in two track seasons, and they are exorbitantly expensive to replace. I think the steel rotors are the choice for the daily driver or the track enthusiast.