BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Scratches on the exterior shadowline gloss trim - claybar?

Yep, those nice looking black shadowline glossy trims by the door frames? They scratch like a %%#^*+¥%, you get my point. I already got 3 nice long scratches from god knows what and thousands of micro scratches.

Is there a clear coat on those units? Will carnauba wax cure this or prevent it? Should I try to use a claybar?

I cannot paint them so dont tell me to paint them.

You know how it is with new cars, all these fucking tiny things that annoy the shit out of you. I am trying to forget it by driving the car but my brain wont let me. Like my baby is not perfect anymore
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullCheck View Post
I am trying to forget it by driving the car but my brain wont let me. Like my baby is not perfect anymore
Rats! Hate those scratches.

Glossy black is tough to keep pristine.

How many miles do you have now - past break in period - you will forget all about them once you can put your foot into it!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Might want to put some film over shadowline trim if it is susceptible to scratches.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Polish. Claybar before polish, but clay alone won't get the scratches out. Then put on sealer/wax. Yes, they get scratched pretty badly, it seems all the time. Frankly, I just let them get all messed up and funky and don't worry too much about it.

Cheers.
      07-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
NullCheck
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Polish. Claybar before polish, but clay alone won't get the scratches out. Then put on sealer/wax. Yes, they get scratched pretty badly, it seems all the time. Frankly, I just let them get all messed up and funky and don't worry too much about it.

Cheers.
Let me try this and report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Can you post some pictures?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I swear you are doing this on purpose... You are trying to make everyone as OCD as you. I bet you laugh at all of us as you create your OCD threads. Now I have another thing to look at as I get into my car that makes me want to leave it in the garage under a car cover. Thanks for that...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Have you no experience with shadowline? It's a polished shiny black surface - it gets swirled up.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

OP, remove your valve cover and take a peek to see if there is any carbon build up. At 200-300 miles, I would start to be concerned in a DI motor.
      07-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
NullCheck
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Have you no experience with shadowline? It's a polished shiny black surface - it gets swirled up.
I have never noticed these damn scratches until now.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to fix them?

I was just trying to clean up some stuff using the cloth I use to clean my glasses, and I made like 100 tiny scratches! I mean come on, what the heck is this stuff made from?

I dont remember having this issue with my old M3, and honestly my OCD wasnt as bad. It all started when I got my m5 with full leather
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
NullCheck
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I swear you are doing this on purpose... You are trying to make everyone as OCD as you. I bet you laugh at all of us as you create your OCD threads. Now I have another thing to look at as I get into my car that makes me want to leave it in the garage under a car cover. Thanks for that...
Bro, I am losing sleep over this shit. This and the door seal drive me nuts.

The 1200 mile better come soon so I can enjoy the shit out of this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Shadowline trim also fades after a while, at least on the edge of it. I say claybar and polish to get most of it out, and then try not to let it bother you until they look bad enough to get them swapped out for new ones. :P
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
I wonder why BMW hasn't found a more friendly scratch resistant material. This is a common problem for some time now.
      07-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Isn't shadowline trim exclusive to M cars?

Cheers.
      07-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Shadow line trim SUCKS when it comes to washing!! I have it on my 135i. Within a month it looked like garbage. If you use any abrasive soap it will strip it down. I complained to BMW that the rear literally looked grey and didn't even hold up a year. They did replace it, but what they didn't tell me was they had to replace the entire rear side window to replace the trim because they are attached to one another. I would have never had it done having known that. After a while I resorted to putting painters tape on it when I washed it. Then I just stopped caring and now it looks like crap. Ill probably have someone put vinyl over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #16
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

P.S. If they would simply clear coat the trim I am SURE it would hold up just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #17
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
I have never noticed these damn scratches until now.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to fix them?

I was just trying to clean up some stuff using the cloth I use to clean my glasses, and I made like 100 tiny scratches! I mean come on, what the heck is this stuff made from?

I dont remember having this issue with my old M3, and honestly my OCD wasnt as bad. It all started when I got my m5 with full leather
Do not touch SL trim. Do not look at SL trim. Do not let small children near SL trim.

Honestly, my 130k mile e39 m5 looked fine besides minor swirls. You are NOT scratching it (unless you are?), you are putting microswirls in it's top coat.

You can polish it (look up how to polish interior trim, same process).

My recommendation is to find a minor filling product that will let you not see it, probably wear out every 2 weeks, and re-apply as needed.

Btw, ALOT of microfiber towels will scratch clearcoat. There's a big difference between MF grades. I found that my cheap ones, which are suitable for applying leather conditioner and cleaning glass, will put tons of swirl marks in the clearcoat on my brothers black jeep. Like, removing wax will swirl the hell out of that jeep with the wrong MF towels.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
NullCheck
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Do not touch SL trim. Do not look at SL trim. Do not let small children near SL trim.

Honestly, my 130k mile e39 m5 looked fine besides minor swirls. You are NOT scratching it (unless you are?), you are putting microswirls in it's top coat.

You can polish it (look up how to polish interior trim, same process).

My recommendation is to find a minor filling product that will let you not see it, probably wear out every 2 weeks, and re-apply as needed.

Btw, ALOT of microfiber towels will scratch clearcoat. There's a big difference between MF grades. I found that my cheap ones, which are suitable for applying leather conditioner and cleaning glass, will put tons of swirl marks in the clearcoat on my brothers black jeep. Like, removing wax will swirl the hell out of that jeep with the wrong MF towels.
So which microfiber towel should I use?

I am going to try to use a claybar on it and then wax it and see what happens. I dont have any way of doing polish right now unfortunately due to lack of equipment.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #19
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3 View Post
I wonder why BMW hasn't found a more friendly scratch resistant material. This is a common problem for some time now.
The older BMW's shadow line had like a metallic paint that was durable but faded over time. The new cars are just cheap black plastic without any clearcoat. Its the same plastic that they use in the interior trim. The door mirror mounts are made of the same stuff.
Really poor.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
NullCheck
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
The older BMW's shadow line had like a metallic paint that was durable but faded over time. The new cars are just cheap black plastic without any clearcoat. Its the same plastic that they use in the interior trim. The door mirror mounts are made of the same stuff.
Really poor.
I think carbon fiber mirror caps is a must just because of this. Mirror caps are far more susceptible to scratches than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #21
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
A claybar would not remove scratches. If anything, it will add scratches. I have Piano Black trim on both the exterior and interior on my 650i M-Sport. That stuff swirls up like you wouldn't believe. I think it swirls up more every night just sitting in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #22
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
So which microfiber towel should I use?

I am going to try to use a claybar on it and then wax it and see what happens. I dont have any way of doing polish right now unfortunately due to lack of equipment.
Do not touch the Shadowline trim or wipe it, ever. Use a blower to dry the trim after wash.

If the damage is already done, clay, polish, and apply Sealant like Menzerna Power Lock sealant. Air dry only.

I never use microfiber or anything to wipe the vehicle. Invest on a powerful Shop Vac, or drive on the Interstate after washing
Appreciate 0