M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

07-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Smile Maserati GTS 2014 Sticker 145K Biturbo NON TRACK IMPRESSIONS :-) vs M5 LCI 2014

Well I don't know where to start guys, but it seems that I am getting the itch a little bit too early and I always blamed it on the car but this beautiful M5 LCI which isn't even 7 months old hasn't done me no wrong!! And still love it but somehow I am getting that itch and I hope that this M5 won't be easily conquered because this is how it usually starts with me 1st getting the itch then drive (Goof) around if you will till I get hooked and once I get to feel that another car is probably a better car I may pull the trigger.

Well I have good news and bad news!
Which one you wanna hear first?

Well let me pick for you ;-)

The good news is that I think I am keeping my M5 at least for now since this Maserati Quattroporte wasn't quite able to steal my heart ;-)

The bad news EXHAUST NOTE IS OUT OF THIS EARTH as forced induction as it is and I have no idea how could Maserati Engine and Exhauste note sound so sweet after losing their NA engine!! Mind boggling for me!! But hey it's a GTS.

Silver/Champaign with Tan Interiors 2014 GTS Biturbo and sticker price around 145K and had 9K miles on it and asking price 108K and getting to a range where I would be interested in a car because I don't spend more than this on any given car ;-)

Key Points:
1. Exterior looks: GTS 8/10 and Non CP M5 7/10 I like it but wheel on this one were I believe 19" and looked really awkward but aggressive front and revised headlights and rear tweaks and Quad Tips (Not quad Exhaust) did complement the exterior,,, I would give it 8/10 and my M5 7/10 and only because it looks more exotic and unique even to the very untrained eye!

2. Steering: A tie 8/10 for both as GTS has a Sharper and crisper steering than M5 but less road feel! I am not sure how you can have both but that's how I felt anyway (Non track experience) and I personally believe If i wanna track a car out of the two probably the M5 will feel more at home in the track than the GTS! But that's me and only 10-15 minutes driving impressions!

3. Handling: GTS 7/10 and M5 8/10 well it was hard to tell but it is not as firm as I would have expected and I believe it has more body roll than the M5 (Mine non CP)! which is unexpected and I thought it would blow the M5 out of the water when it comes to handling! having said that let's be fair and not forget that this particular car had 19" wheels and I believe that's why it felt the way it did!! May be! Once I got back in my M5 I felt it was like going to an M3 from and M5 and by that I mean probably tighter handling and cornering and I was happier tossing my M5 than this GTS.

4. Power Department: 7/10 and M5 8/10
Well let me start by saying it is not lacking any power BUT somehow there was more noticeable lag because of the ZF transmission which was once in the right gear and hooked as fast as DCT if I might blaspheme! But getting there was my issue the car is thinking before getting into the right gear and again gives you a feel of less connectedness with the car overall and again LESS TIGHT!! But again not lacking any power and probably on par with M5 as underrated the M5 is, but problem was me feeling that the M5 somehow had endless breath that always breaks me before I break it and somehow that wasn't the case with the GTR but still almost as strong probably but ZF is probably numbing the feedback!

5. Interiors and Electronics: GTS 5/10 with no materials lacking just outdated looks vs M5 at least 8-9/10 relatively speaking.
Hideous let's not talk about it because I felt like my hair fell off and the buttons are designed for a grandpa and the Navi screen which is touch screen and probably not as good resolution as M5 but was like in the old MB right in the middle of the dash so you have to take your eyes off the road to look!! Let me be honest I didn't get to play with electronics a lot but I believe it won't be an issue except for the outdated looks and don't get me wrong not luxury look that may have you think less modern NOPE it is outdated looks and feels like old jags and the Shift Knob looked bad (Knob fetish!!- and you have to push a button on the front of it which was a little awkward and didn't give me the feel of a Shift Knob of a 145K car!! Subjective as I may be :-) but interiors are :thumb down not on par enough to justify that 145K and no HUD option per SA as they have one for 159K brand new and no HUD either! Next to it was An Aston Martin and interior was so much more modern! !

6. Exhaust Note: GTS 8-9/10 vs M5 6/10 at most and I have exhaust meister by the way, but the GTS had very nice burbles and crackles all around especially upshifting and downshifting. (I drove it mainly in sports mode and sports suspension too and boy it makes a huge difference not like opening valves in M5 but something else like deleting resonators and breaking hell gates loose :-) LOVED it LOVED it and I won't blame ya if you get GTS just for this

7. Braking: on par with M5 so 8/10 a tie for both
And I did push the car hard but not past 80's probably as SA was with me in the car and was scared of the way I drove it ;-) and commented that my MPG will be horrible if I drive that car this way and will be low teens which isn't news to me as I have 14.5 on mine and I see 12's sometimes

8. Space and comfort: Trunk big but shallow and seats felt firm enough but somehow didn't hug me like the M5 seat does and felt uncomfortable and seating was appropriately low enough as I take my seat all the way down in M5 and a car that doesn't take me down enough I don't buy it period! but GTS did and you won't be disappointed in this department.

9. Transmission: as mentioned above ZF is good but less connected and car thinks before getting in the right gear and it feels like forever but once there it is like a freight train or a bullet especially with the exhaust note that magical you forget your name in that car!

I think that's it for now till I get more flashbacks (Good ones) and If I do I will edit for you guys.

Am I considering it (goodness that exhaust) well truth is NOPE only for the HORRIBLE interior really turned me off.

Hope you enjoy this humble review of mine but I thought you may care for my 2 cents on such a rare car which I believe is a direct competitor with M5 (money aside) with the the Biturbo as GTS before was lacking in power but now probably 3-5% less if not on par and could be because of the DCT rather than real less power! As you won't get the kick in your back with every lightning fast upshift with ZF like DCT!!

PS I did see the new M4/M3 and I was too tired to push for a test drive and I have pix as the M3 I did see today was black on red and 89K sticker price !!!!! with CCB's for 8300$!! Looked more aggressive than M5 for sure but a lot smaller than I thought and SA somehow felt I wasn't serious enough (And I am not) because seeing the car in person and reading the reviews I knew that car isn't for me or even on my radar but that doesn't detract from the car a bit as it looked very aggressive and actually more M like car than M5 no doubt with that hood bump from factory and those side grills!! If I test drive it will post if i get time because working whole next week like a slave ;-)

Have a good day
Attached Images

Last edited by soooma; 07-01-2014 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Soooma ...Did you get it or wanna get it?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Soooma ...Did you get it or wanna get it?
I wanted to but in a nutshell M5 is more of a driver's car than this GTS and that actually surprised me because of the 40K premium over M5 and besides exhaust and looks there's nothing else I would like in this GTS more than M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

It looks pretty ugly imo... don't know how you can give this a 8 and the M a 7!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

That car does nothing for me---- thanks though for the review and detailed thoughts. Maserati does indeed .... have the sound part down. I still need to drive a MC Stradale; I know its slower than the M5 and other cars I have/had but I still want to.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
It looks pretty ugly imo... don't know how you can give this a 8 and the M a 7!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
It is exotic look and unique -
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Oh man, that car does nothing for me. Then again no Maserati does.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Oh man, that car does nothing for me. Then again no Maserati does.
Talking looks or driving drama...
Because it was nice to drive but overrated I believe and overpriced for sure like 50k premium at least that's not merited IMHO but again they did a good job on the exhaust and if it has 20 inches it should be more planted and firm!! But goodness that is a 150k car!!! imagine what M5 or E63 would be like if 40K more spent on it by M division!!
I can only dream -
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

The inside looks great, and the outside looks classy sporty, but thats it.
I don't see why they put a regular ZF tranny in this shit instead of a DCT model.

I still really like the older Quattroportes (I had a 2007 a long time ago). The leather was so supple and untreated (so easier to damage, but the pure leather was fantastic looking and feeling). The engines were good and sounded amazing.
It was a good classy cruiser or dinner night out car. They are so cheap now, I want to get another already modded one (ECU, TCU, wheels, coilovers, 2009 GTS model) and just have it to fool around with when I feel like it.
      07-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

Very informative; thanks for the in-depth review and corresponding effort. However, this Maseratti has a face only a mother can love
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_1 View Post
Very informative; thanks for the in-depth review and corresponding effort. However, this Maseratti has a face only a mother can love
Not in person
Looks wise it has some real good looks but physically as pics don't seem to do her justice - and Maseratis look a lot better in black on red or white on red !
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
That car does nothing for me---- thanks though for the review and detailed thoughts. Maserati does indeed .... have the sound part down. I still need to drive a MC Stradale; I know its slower than the M5 and other cars I have/had but I still want to.
It seems I am the only one who cares for Maserati GTS around here -; ) LOL
Ironically next door to this dealership is Jaguar and when I brought up my interest in Test Driving F type R the SA was offended by the comparison of "a Jag" to "a Maserati" and I wished that you were there to give him an over due lesson - Hahahah ... Said some bad stuff about the brand that I won't dare mention here in an ///M forum!!! with the F type R sweeping many guys here off their feet with its new looks especially after Chris Harris review of it - and does look beautiful indeed but didn't test drive it -
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Ironically next door to this dealership is Jaguar and when I brought up my interest in Test Driving F type R the SA was offended by the comparison of "a Jag" to "a Maserati" and I wished that you were there to give him an over due lesson - Hahahah ... Said some bad stuff about the brand that I won't dare mention here in an ///M forum!!! with the F type R sweeping many guys here off their feet with its new looks especially after Chris Harris review of it - and does look beautiful indeed but didn't test drive it -
LOL what did you expect- a Maserati salesman to push another brand. I can say plenty bad about Jag but only from what I have read and friends who have owned one- so its not ownership so I digress. The F Type R is a gigantic advancement for Jaguar in all sorts of ways.

Anyways here is some food for you; I went to the local Jag dealer again yesterday. Yes I went again to get another test drive so the first one wasn't my only thoughts on the car. Two friends who I know from various car forums were there too to drive the car. These are heavy hitters with one guy owning a 2013 458, 2013 LP 560-4, and an AMS GTR and the other has a 2014 MP4-12C Spyder so they know great cars. They both drove the F Type R and subsequently were trying to source one with the salesman (they didn't want the color that the store had). Mind you, I don't need others to make my decision for me or swing my opinion but these are well respected forum community members (not here since no BMW) and they were impressed.

I still don't know if I want the car that bad though LOL.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
To be honest car salepeople are probably the worst source of information...especially when they talk about a brand they are not selling. I have heard so many laughable misstatements/lies about cars' performance from sales people ...but in the George Costanza way ...I guess it isn't a lie if they truly believe it..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
To be honest car salepeople are probably the worst source of information...especially when they talk about a brand they are not selling. I have heard so many laughable misstatements/lies about cars' performance from sales people ...but in the George Costanza way ...I guess it isn't a lie if they truly believe it..
Agree...
If you go to Audi dealers, all of them are trained to say the same thing.
They claim RS5 is an exclusive car and not comparable with any BMW or MB
They say S5 is the competitor of M3 (it's now M4 lol) and with a less than $1000 kit, you can modify the car to beat M3/M4. The funny thing is that he didn't even know that RS5 has less torque than S5 lol
Oh BTW, he said the only BMW can (and not exactly)be compared to RS5 is M6 Convertible! which is more expensive than RS5.... so RS5 is the winner
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

My wife thought that was one if her fav cars until she drove it. Now she hates it because she wasted her time thinking if it. Two seater version
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

I didn't say I believed a word he had to say but was hilarious to hear it when I know it was faster and probably drives better (From your reviews ) than any given Maserati -
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
zirotti
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: lots

I have loved most Masers, but not feeling this at all. You can obviously tell this had a mid cycle refresh, as the headlights don't match the rest of the body lines at all.

Also, the 3 side vents remind me of Buick, and it has the ass of a Ford Fusion
Appreciate 0