E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > CDV Help

12-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

CDV Help

Hi all,

I just did installed my modded CDV on my own but I lost a lot (I think) of brake fluid (did not crimp the hose).

Where/how do I get to the master cylinder to check my brake fluid level?

Help please?
      12-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Your master cylinder is on the driver's side of the car, underneath a plastic panel in the upper right corner. If you didn't clamp the line when you swapped out the CDV than you definitely lost some fluid and will need to top it off, but more importantly than that you should definitely BLEED YOUR CLUTCH. When I did the CDV, I clamped the line and I still got a lot of air in the line that needed to be bled out at the slave cylinder. I would definitely bleed the clutch, you don't want any air bubbles in there. BTW, when you are topping off your brake fluid make sure that the fluid is filled up all the way in the back of the reservoir also because there is a divider inside of it which can sometimes block the fluid from getting to the clutch line, which is at the back of the reservoir.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Thanks...

It's a pain in the ass to bleed, and I don't have an 11mm ratcheting wrench!

How the hell do you do this w/just an open ended or flared? The only thing that could move that damned bleeder is a socket because it can ratchet...
      12-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
Thanks...

It's a pain in the ass to bleed, and I don't have an 11mm ratcheting wrench!

How the hell do you do this w/just an open ended or flared? The only thing that could move that damned bleeder is a socket because it can ratchet...
I found that the POS plastic bleeder valve that is on the E92 is on such a retarded angle with so little space to work with, that I ended up using a ratchet/socket with an extension to open it up and close it really quickly while the master cylinder was topped off and my brother was holding the clutch pedal down after pumping it. BTW, I have many different tools, and I thought that a regular ratchet/socket was the easiest to use since you need to turn the bleeder valve around a fun turn before it actually opens.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I found that the POS plastic bleeder valve that is on the E92 is on such a retarded angle with so little space to work with, that I ended up using a ratchet/socket with an extension to open it up and close it really quickly while the master cylinder was topped off and my brother was holding the clutch pedal down after pumping it. BTW, I have many different tools, and I thought that a regular ratchet/socket was the easiest to use since you need to turn the bleeder valve around a fun turn before it actually opens.
Ok, amen to that. I feel better because I was thinking maybe it was only me having a fucking stupid time just getting this thing loose. I tried a ratcheting socket and it worked like a charm but I didn't want brake fluid spewing all over once I loosened it too much. My dumb ass already got enough brake fluid from swapping the CDV (I didn't clamp the hose). I'm going to NAPA or ACE to get a regular ratcheting 11mm wrench... I think it will over the most control.

Btw, do you top off the master cylinder before bleeding?
      12-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
Ok, amen to that. I feel better because I was thinking maybe it was only me having a fucking stupid time just getting this thing loose. I tried a ratcheting socket and it worked like a charm but I didn't want brake fluid spewing all over once I loosened it too much. My dumb ass already got enough brake fluid from swapping the CDV (I didn't clamp the hose). I'm going to NAPA or ACE to get a regular ratcheting 11mm wrench... I think it will over the most control.

Btw, do you top off the master cylinder before bleeding?
YES, definitely top off the master cylinder before bleeding the clutch because if you run it dry (ask me how I know this ) than you will end up sucking air back into the line. Again, make sure that the back of the reservoir, that has a clutch line coming out of the bottom of it, is also filled to the top. I had to wiggle the reservoir back and forth for it to spill over into the back section, but I didn't realize this until I wound up running it dry first. After every time you crack open the bleeder just check the master cylinder is full and top it off when necessary.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
YES, definitely top off the master cylinder before bleeding the clutch because if you run it dry (ask me how I know this ) than you will end up sucking air back into the line. Again, make sure that the back of the reservoir, that has a clutch line coming out of the bottom of it, is also filled to the top. I had to wiggle the reservoir back and forth for it to spill over into the back section, but I didn't realize this until I wound up running it dry first. After every time you crack open the bleeder just check the master cylinder is full and top it off when necessary.
Ok... this makes a lot of sense. I lost quite a bit of brake fluid (I think).

Is there a visible "full line" on that back section of the reservoir so I know how much to add?
      12-09-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

i think there should be mark like "Maximum" ...

seams like PITA to do this mod ... I wouldn't mess with my brakes ...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 01:00 AM   #9
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

I used picture from OEM Alarm DIY ... I hope it will not be a problem

you can see here brake fluid res.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #10
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Thanks Aleks! Turns out I was looking right at the damned thing (under that cover tho).
      12-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Finally f_cking DONE

Bleeding clutch = teh suck!

My bleeder valve is a little rounder now from the shitty ratcheting wrench I was using...

But the car drives pefectly now. Shifting is MUCH more natural and no "fudging" w/clutch engagement to smooth everything out. I can just drive naturally and not worry about it. My 1-2 was already smooth but I don't have to drive around the CDV to make it happen... I just shift and don't have to think about it.

Ray:

If you get to read this, I should have gone ahead and had you install it right then and there for me. This was PITA and you were definitely more equipped to do this. The part that "needed" to be replaced looked exactly the same as before when I went down there. If/when I get back to your place to replace that part you ordered maybe you guys could go ahead and give me a new bleeder valve as well?

Michael + Aleks:

Thanks for your input and insight fellas... it was very helpful!
Evan's DIY needs to be a touch more thorough (at least I think so)...
      12-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I'm glad to hear that it all worked out.

Appreciate 0