Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

07-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Effect of changing Drivelogic setting in manual mode?

So this may be a dumb question, but does the shifting position on the dct make any difference when in manual mode? If I'm manually shifting does it make any difference if it's in 1,2, or 3?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It seems as though you're trying to ask about the Drivelogic setting - S1, S2, or S3 - but have chosen to use the language "shift position" which makes it difficult to determine if I've understood your question.

In any case, yes, the Drivelogic setting absolutely does make a difference in how the transmission behaves when you are manually shifting. It effects the aggressiveness of the shift as well as whether rev matching is used in lower RPM downshifts.

I've updated the topic name to fit my interpretation. Let me know if I am mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
It seems as though you're trying to ask about the Drivelogic setting - S1, S2, or S3 - but have chosen to use the language "shift position" which makes it difficult to determine if I've understood your question.

In any case, yes, the Drivelogic setting absolutely does make a difference in how the transmission behaves when you are manually shifting. It effects the aggressiveness of the shift as well as whether rev matching is used in lower RPM downshifts.
Yes I mean S1, S2, or S3. I just thought it allowed for higher revs when in auto/D mode. So if shifting manually, i wasn't sure if it made any difference since I'm shifting in the rev range where I choose to. Didn't know it effected the aggressiveness of the sifts as well. Just thought it was where it shifted in the rev range. But that's why I asked hahaha thanks! Wasn't sure
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

D1/2/3 will change shift points automatically.
S1/2/3 will determine how harsh/fast the manual shifts are
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
Yes I mean S1, S2, or S3. I just thought it allowed for higher revs when in auto/D mode. So if shifting manually wasn't sure if it made any difference since I'm shifting in the rev range where I choose to. Didn't know it effected the aggressiveness of the sifts as well. Just thought it was where it shifted in the rev range. But that's why I asked hahaha thanks! Wasn't sure
Boy oh boy - a day doesn't go by that i don't do sport+ throttle S3 full throttle shifts with my DCT (I always drive it manual).

But anyway, here's how you can test it:

(1.) Mount a small bell on the passenger headrest

(2.) Find a buddy that's kind of dumb and have him ride shotgun.

(3.) Find a nice straight freeway entrance ramp in a quiet part of town

(4.) sport+ on everything

(5.) Do a full throttle launch, pull those gears, and count how many times you can make the bell ring before your buddy quits playing.

WARNING: Do NOT try this with your wife. She will NOT be happy.
Appreciate 7
boi222190.00
9SECDD551.00
OutlawX3M298.00
platty237.00
pcohen15379.50
Closed Thread