BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Rear reflector vinyl black-out (free PDF template!!!)

07-19-2023, 11:33 PM   #1
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Rear reflector vinyl black-out (free PDF template!!!)

Yo guys today I decided to put some black vinyl over the reflectors on the back of my OG M2. I'm not sure if the shape is the same for the M2c but I think it is.

I first took a picture of the reflector next to a tape measure for reference, loaded that in to Fusion 360, and traced the reflector. It took a couple iterations to get it good enough that I was satisfied, but eventually we got there.

The pdf template is attached to bottom of this thread/post. Make sure you print it 1:1, full size, no scaling. Theres a rectangle on the page labeled "10" that is 10 inches wide you can measure that for reference to make sure your printer printed it out true-sized.

I then cut this template out, and traced it onto some 3M matte black vinyl with a sharpie. Cut it out and carefully applied to the car. The template isnt 100% perfect but im giving it out for free so no complaining!!!!

Oh and hopefully this goes without saying but the spatially challenged out there... the reflectors are mirror images of each other. Just flip the template over to get the template for the other one!

Lastly a disclaimer: I believe most states or maybe the entire U.S. at least requires rear reflectors. Only black out your reflectors if you dont intend to operate the car on public roadways. This is race-track use only!!!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf m2 rear reflector template.pdf (100.7 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Joebie; 07-19-2023 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
(K)1282.50
      07-21-2023, 02:53 AM   #2
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
2017 BMW M2   [8.37]
Wow Thanks!!!
      07-22-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I had mine tinted on my BSM when it was getting ppf. Works great. Looks great. Inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 05:54 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Very nice...and thank you for the work. I have taken some dark smoked hobby vinyl, very thin. Sprayed a tint on it, turned it over and sprayed some hobby type spray adhesive. Placed it on the area, and after smoothing out any obvious bubbles, took my fingernail and worked around the ID edge until the thin material was cut. Lifted excess off and it has worked but this would be better for sure. I also wanted something a bit dark but translucent for our laws...nothing opaque. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0