BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Pre-LCI to LCI F90 Owners - Brake squeal difference?

03-29-2022, 11:46 PM   #45
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAM5 View Post
I've got a question for any owners that went from a pre-LCI F90 to a LCI F90 that had compound brakes on their previous car and have them on their new one.

Were you one of the many owners on the 10 different threads on this subject that had the infamous brake squeal issues and then didn't have the issue on your new M5?

As I mentioned, I know there are numerous threads regarding break squeal, but I didn't come across any comments on this specific situation.

I tried allllllll of the "solutions" other members have posted about. None of them worked for me. My SA completed two free "complete brake system" lubrications to appease me (which would have been ~$600 each). This caused its stop for about two weeks each time, and then it came right back. Which, in all fairness, is exactly what my SA said would happen. Still took him a bottle of tequila as thank you.

Please don't tell me "that's the way they are," "if you don't want break squeal, don't get an M car," etc. I know all that. Have heard it a hundred times already. That's why I bought another one still.

Anyone had this problem and then noticed it was alleviated or didn't have it on their new car? I'm really hoping I won't have this on the new car. I know "they're supposed to be this way" and all that noise, but buying a $122k car and then sounding like a 30 year old school bus is really frustrating.

My 2018 base M5 brake squeal really bad. I replaced them with Porter pads….solved squeal but Porter pads rattled when car go over rough surface. How do I know it was the new pads rattling? I had original pads put back when I sold car and no more rattle. Perhaps an isolated incident, most members here had good luck with Porter.

I now have a 2021 M5 comp and the brake have never squealed once. So either BMW did something with pads or it’s just hit and miss.
Nothing worse than having to trade one problem for another, especially on such an expensive car. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Hoping to have your luck with the LCI on my incoming car as well. Thanks for the input!
      03-29-2022, 11:50 PM   #46
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Your main issue is you don't drive the car hard enough, the squeeling is due to the pads glazing, you get rid of the issue by doing 3-4 stops from 100-20 in quick succession get some heat in those pads. Most if not all performance cars suffer from this. My old f10 never squeeked but that was because I regularly drove the car over 100 and mashed the brakes until abs almost kicked in every time I used them. If you drive the car like a commuter car your brakes are gonna squeel and that's that. If you don't believe try it next time, don't be gentle on the brakes really put your foot in it and I'll bet you they won't squeel after a few stops lol

My f10 squealed, my f90 squeals the exact same, maybe worse.

I drive hard, over 100 a lot. I've done the brake mashing many many times probably over 100 times. It works for maybe 5-10 minutes after doing it. It does nothing long term.

This isn't about glazing, it's not about driving like a commuter. I've owned several other cars with similar performance brakes. AMG's, Lexus IS-F (2), 911 Turbo S. None of those brakes squealed, ever. I've driven many cars with CCBs as well, those squeak sometimes, but its a different squeal, not as loud or as frequent as the BMW steel brakes. And once warm it goes away on CCB. It seems to get worse as the brakes warm up on my f90 comp.

This is a BMW issue. Not a driver issue. Period. It's embarrassing, the " its normal" "drive harder" lines are BS.

It's a flaw in the brake design, and BMW doesn't care to fix it, or the fix isnt worth it to them for unknown reasons. End of story. $130k car that sounds like a rental box van from U Haul, it's embarrassing, frankly unacceptable. Quite honestly its the only thing I can't stand about this car. Thats why I make the dealer look at the brakes literally every time i'm in there. I know they won't do a darn thing, but I bring it up every time in hopes one day they'll do something. The more they waste time inspecting brakes, and paying the dealer for warranty work or labor to check them over, hopefully they do something about it.
I never had squealing issues in my AMg 6/4. I ran them with oem drilled rotors and aftermarket racing brake 2 piece slotted rotors with no squeaking either. Ran ceramic pads on both too. Never had squealing on my X5 with normal breaks. Only ever had squealing with my M5 rotors and calipers.
Definitely not the first person I've heard say they never had problems with any other BMW than their F90. Thanks for the input!
      03-30-2022, 12:34 AM   #47
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
is that a problem for your 130k car? No, that's how they're DESIGNED!
I’ll add, yes it is a problem. One big enough to be a constant topic on this forum. The f10 forum and likely others. The only more common thread I see is “should i tune my f90 and will my tune void my warranty” LOL.

So, since you’re apparently an M, or AMG engineer, and since the brake squeal was part of the design, as you say.

What’s the purpose of the squeal? I mean a lot of cars still have tabs on the pads to let people know when the pads are almost up. That’s a design, to let people know their brakes are near metal on metal. That squealing is actually by design. Lol.

Is it to let people know the brakes are not hot enough? Or their too hot? Or too cold? Is it just to let you know you still have plenty of brake life left? Kinda the opposite of the tabs that squeal when almost gone. So do they stop squealing when it’s time to replace? Is that how we know we need brakes. Nevermind the brakelife sensors. Unless it’s the sensors that alert us once it notices the brakes are no longer squealing?

Legitimately tell me since the brakes are designed to squeal, what is the performance metric or attribute that having the squeal affects? Is the squeal an ultra high vibration noise that fends off AMGs? Like a dog whistle ? Can you enlighten me as to why bmw’s M division would waste time designing a brake that squeals? I have to imagine most performance divisions are there to put the best performance they can into their cars (and stay on brand, budget etc) , why would they build a squeak into the brakes? Nearly everything on a car is designed for a reason. Same with even race cars. Everything has a purpose, from the color to the exhaust sound, everything has its purpose. Why? Because it has to. So something like the brake squeal, if it wasn’t actually designed with the squeal purposely there can only be a design FLAW. It just happens to be a design flaw bmw has convinced people like Yourself is just the way it is. That’s not how companies like bmw work. Nothing is just how it is. Everything is measured checked designed tested everything has a purpose and reason. They just chose to tell us, “deal with it” because the solution to actually fix it, likely would cost them way too much $. Or they take the gamble enough people will just deal with it. And not cost them money. Hell I’ll even bet bmw has hired 3rd party consultants to measure the affect on bottom line to decide “should we fixed the brake squeak or tell people to pound sand? Fixing will cost us likely $XYZ millions, doing nothing will cost $X millions, ok decision made, tell them to F off when they come ask about brake squeak”

Lastly, you first said they squeal because not driving hard enough. Which you are, obviously!… but then later you say they’re designed this way with the squeak. But , like I mentioned, you said yours don’t squeal. (then you said they did), but the ones that don’t squeal (since it’s designed to do this) maybe there’s actually something wrong with yours? Have you had yours checked out on your f9….Nevermind.

Just trying to keep up with you and get my information right.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 03-30-2022 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #48
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
I’ll add, yes it is a problem. One big enough to be a constant topic on this forum. The f10 forum and likely others. The only more common thread I see is “should i tune my f90 and will my tune void my warranty” LOL.

So, since you’re apparently an M, or AMG engineer, and since the brake squeal was part of the design, as you say.

What’s the purpose of the squeal? I mean a lot of cars still have tabs on the pads to let people know when the pads are almost up. That’s a design, to let people know their brakes are near metal on metal. That squealing is actually by design. Lol.

Is it to let people know the brakes are not hot enough? Or their too hot? Or too cold? Is it just to let you know you still have plenty of brake life left? Kinda the opposite of the tabs that squeal when almost gone. So do they stop squealing when it’s time to replace? Is that how we know we need brakes. Nevermind the brakelife sensors. Unless it’s the sensors that alert us once it notices the brakes are no longer squealing?

Legitimately tell me since the brakes are designed to squeal, what is the performance metric or attribute that having the squeal affects? Is the squeal an ultra high vibration noise that fends off AMGs? Like a dog whistle ?

Lastly, you first said they squeal because not driving hard enough. Which you are, obviously!… but then later you say they’re designed this way with the squeak. But , like I mentioned, you said yours don’t squeal. (then you said they did), but the ones that don’t squeal (since it’s designed to do this) maybe there’s actually something wrong with yours? Have you had yours checked out on your f9….Nevermind.

This^^^^^^^^^

It's funny, but tragically so, how this topic gets done to death on these forums. I am firmly in the camp that says BS to the "this is how they're supposed to be, ya noob" crowd.

I had an F10 550 and a G30 M550. Both 4,000+ lb cars, both AWD, both with V-8s. Both went over 30,000 miles. Neither squealed - ever. I was shocked at how noisy my 2019 Base got when coming to a stop. What makes the physics of this car so different? A few times, just for fun, I did the "stop at the last second" way of driving, so each stop was a firm push on the brakes. People freak out when you approach a red light at 35 mph and then decide to stop - all in the last 8 feet. Pedestrians especially. My LCI Comp eventually got noisy, too. Just not as bad - but still equally irritating for a 130k car.

And tracking this car.....how many people actually do it? 1 in 100? If so, if the "one" runs 100 miles in a year on a track and everyone averages 12,000 miles a year, then total track time is 100/1,200,000 miles - or 8 thousandths of 1 per cent - 0.0083%. Hardly seems BMW would eff it up for the rest of the masses "because that's they way they're supposed to be driven." Pure and simple, they could have done this better. Metallurgy has really come a long way in the last 1000 years.

That being said, its still a truly awesome car. Annoying, but awesome. I am still planning on trying to get a 3rd one before the F90 production run ends, or probably an M8, since it will most likely go a year beyond the F90. I don't like the noise, but I can live with it. I just try to look straight ahead as I slowly roll to a shrieking stop at an intersection in the summer, next to a Honda Accord with the windows down. But, man, I can sure kick his ass when we go green.

Last edited by snowbimmer; 03-30-2022 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 01:15 AM   #49
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Your main issue is you don't drive the car hard enough, the squeeling is due to the pads glazing, you get rid of the issue by doing 3-4 stops from 100-20 in quick succession get some heat in those pads. Most if not all performance cars suffer from this. My old f10 never squeeked but that was because I regularly drove the car over 100 and mashed the brakes until abs almost kicked in every time I used them. If you drive the car like a commuter car your brakes are gonna squeel and that's that. If you don't believe try it next time, don't be gentle on the brakes really put your foot in it and I'll bet you they won't squeel after a few stops lol

My f10 squealed, my f90 squeals the exact same, maybe worse.

I drive hard, over 100 a lot. I've done the brake mashing many many times probably over 100 times. It works for maybe 5-10 minutes after doing it. It does nothing long term.

This isn't about glazing, it's not about driving like a commuter. I've owned several other cars with similar performance brakes. AMG's, Lexus IS-F (2), 911 Turbo S. None of those brakes squealed, ever. I've driven many cars with CCBs as well, those squeak sometimes, but its a different squeal, not as loud or as frequent as the BMW steel brakes. And once warm it goes away on CCB. It seems to get worse as the brakes warm up on my f90 comp.

This is a BMW issue. Not a driver issue. Period. It's embarrassing, the " its normal" "drive harder" lines are BS.

It's a flaw in the brake design, and BMW doesn't care to fix it, or the fix isnt worth it to them for unknown reasons. End of story. $130k car that sounds like a rental box van from U Haul, it's embarrassing, frankly unacceptable. Quite honestly its the only thing I can't stand about this car. Thats why I make the dealer look at the brakes literally every time i'm in there. I know they won't do a darn thing, but I bring it up every time in hopes one day they'll do something. The more they waste time inspecting brakes, and paying the dealer for warranty work or labor to check them over, hopefully they do something about it.
I never had squealing issues in my AMg 6/4. I ran them with oem drilled rotors and aftermarket racing brake 2 piece slotted rotors with no squeaking either. Ran ceramic pads on both too. Never had squealing on my X5 with normal breaks. Only ever had squealing with my M5 rotors and calipers.
No need to give advice here, then be a dick about it on another thread. If you thought the question was so stupid, why bother to chime in? You even offered a solution here, and on the ACG carbon Kevlar thread, mentioned that you yourself have squeaky brakes now. That must mean you found the question meritorious, and further, you admitted you had the same problem. What's the deal with that?
      03-30-2022, 01:18 AM   #50
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Quote:
I'll add, yes it is a problem. One big enough to be a constant topic on this forum. The f10 forum and likely others. The only more common thread I see is "should i tune my f90 and will my tune void my warranty" LOL.

So, since you're apparently an M, or AMG engineer, and since the brake squeal was part of the design, as you say.

What's the purpose of the squeal? I mean a lot of cars still have tabs on the pads to let people know when the pads are almost up. That's a design, to let people know their brakes are near metal on metal. That squealing is actually by design. Lol.

Is it to let people know the brakes are not hot enough? Or their too hot? Or too cold? Is it just to let you know you still have plenty of brake life left? Kinda the opposite of the tabs that squeal when almost gone. So do they stop squealing when it's time to replace? Is that how we know we need brakes. Nevermind the brakelife sensors. Unless it's the sensors that alert us once it notices the brakes are no longer squealing?

Legitimately tell me since the brakes are designed to squeal, what is the performance metric or attribute that having the squeal affects? Is the squeal an ultra high vibration noise that fends off AMGs? Like a dog whistle ?

Lastly, you first said they squeal because not driving hard enough. Which you are, obviously!… but then later you say they're designed this way with the squeak. But , like I mentioned, you said yours don't squeal. (then you said they did), but the ones that don't squeal (since it's designed to do this) maybe there's actually something wrong with yours? Have you had yours checked out on your f9….Nevermind.

This^^^^^^^^^

It's funny, but tragically so, how this topic gets done to death on these forums. I am firmly in the camp that says BS to the "this is how they're supposed to be, ya noob" crowd.

I had an F10 550 and a G30 M550. Both 4,000+ lb cars, both AWD, both with V-8s. Both went over 30,000 miles. Neither squealed - ever. I was shocked at how noisy my 2019 Base got when coming to a stop. What makes the physics of this car so different? A few times, just for fun, I did the "stop at the last second" way of driving, so each stop was a firm push on the brakes. People freak out when you approach a red light at 35 mph and then decide to stop - all in the last 8 feet. Pedestrians especially. My LCI Comp eventually got noisy, too. Just not as bad - but still equally irritating for a 130k car.

And tracking this car.....how many people actually do it? 1 in 100? If so, if the "one" runs 100 miles in a year on a track and everyone averages 12,000 miles a year, then total track time is 100/1,200,000 miles - or 8 thousandths of 1 per cent - 0.0083%. Hardly seems BMW would eff it up for the rest of the masses "because that's they way they're supposed to be driven." Pure and simple, they could have done this better.

That being said, its still a truly awesome car. Annoying, but awesome. I am still planning on trying to get a 3rd one before the F90 production run ends, or probably an M8, since it will most likely go a year beyond the F90. I don't like the noise, but I can live with it. I just try to look straight ahead as I slowly roll to a shrieking stop at an intersection in the summer, next to a Honda Accord with the windows down. But, man, I can sure kick his ass when we go green.
Thanks for being a civil human being. It's not that hard, right? Already got a lashing on another thread for posing the question. I am with you. No way a car this expensive should sound like this, and none of my comparable cars EVER did. Thanks for the valuable and constructive input!
zb26031055.50
      03-30-2022, 03:26 AM   #51
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
That's so great to hear! How many miles have you put on them?
Almost 30.000 miles
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 03:36 PM   #52
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Thank you for the insight. It seems as though this issue definitely carries over from pre-LCI to LCI models. I'll manage my expectations accordingly.
The panic brake thing seems to fix it short term for me (as you mentioned above it does for you), but short term really is short term.

It's bugging me enough at this point, though, that I'm going to start looking at other possibilities, because the squeak, while not indicating anything is wrong, bugs the hell outta me.

Can't justify the cost of CCBs for the type of driving I do, so I'll research and see what I can come up with.

I will say that my M550i didn't have this problem, but it also just had 'normal' brakes on it. Created dust on the fronts like crazy (typical), but never squealed.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5071.00
      03-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #53
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the insight. It seems as though this issue definitely carries over from pre-LCI to LCI models. I'll manage my expectations accordingly.
The panic brake thing seems to fix it short term for me (as you mentioned above it does for you), but short term really is short term.

It's bugging me enough at this point, though, that I'm going to start looking at other possibilities, because the squeak, while not indicating anything is wrong, bugs the hell outta me.

Can't justify the cost of CCBs for the type of driving I do, so I'll research and see what I can come up with.

I will say that my M550i didn't have this problem, but it also just had 'normal' brakes on it. Created dust on the fronts like crazy (typical), but never squealed.
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely, short term is literally for the rest of my drive. That's it. It's really bugging me, too. So much so that I seriously contemplated an E63S and RS6 Avant. I also could not justify the CCBs (even though I went with every other available option outside of frozen paint). And it seems based on some other replies on this thread that spending that $8500 may not even guarantee that you wouldn't have this problem again. I'm doing the same research myself and will share with you anything useful that I come across. Thanks for you input!
      03-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #54
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
I literally wrote, I've done the brake mashing nonsense 100s of times. It does nothing, except for that few minute period right after.

I admitted nothing. I said specifically I drive hard and mash the brakes often.

With that said... You're telling me every time you drive your car, even in traffic, coming up to a stop light, in a parking lot, driving in to a drive through, pulling into the dealer service dept., you come to a screeching halt, nearly getting the ABS to kick in? No chance. I don't buy that, but nice try. There is zero chance you literally slam the brakes every time you slow down or stop... And if so, must be a real treat riding in the car with you, and your chiropractor must be loaded from all your neck and back adjustments. Come on man. Im not talking about spirted driving coming down from speed hard. Im talking about, you know those few and far between times, when i'm parking in my garage and don't want to blast through the back wall, or getting my coffee in the drive through and don't want to nail the car in front of me , or miss the pick up window, or pulling up to a valet at a nice restaurant, not wanting to kill the valet kid.... Sure they don't squeak going from 100mph to zero as hard as possible. But there is no chance thats the only driving you do.

Fully aware about carbon ceramics, and I wrote they squeak until warm. Then stops or quiets down significantly. The steel BMW brakes almost get worse when warm. I Didn't own it, but drove an F430 for months, and was nothing like the f90 squeak.

And yes, my 911 Turbo S didnt squeak, my AMG GT didnt squeak, my c63 didn't squeak, and long time ago had 2 Lexus IS-Fs, neither squeaked. Ive owned performance cars for many many years. The only 2 with this issue was my f10, and f90. I drove those hard, and not hard as well.

You wrote in the first paragraph "my e55 squeeled like a pig, the e63 from the next gen did the same, sl63? what do you think? squeely boy"..... Then not 3-4 sentences later "I've had an e63 m6 no squeel, f10 nothing", which is it? They squeal or they dont? Confused.

So no, it's not normal for performance brakes. Its only normal for BMW STEEL performance brakes. They put ass massagers, air conditioning, self driving features, nice sound system, leather, all these nice creature comforts because they demand people drive around a race track 24-7? Nah, it's made to drive as a commuter, just as much a performance car. Save it man. No one here buying what you selling. Especially since you don't even own an F90. And I dont know exactly how long they last, 10, 20, 30k miles? Dont care. The brakes are free for me to replace, I could care less how long they last.

So yes it is a problem for me and everyone else who owns an f90 with squealing's $130K car, except yours. Because you don't own one. And No, its not how its designed. It's a design FLAW. In no way does BMW design brakes on a luxury performance car to squeak on purpose. IF this is the case why put sound deadening material or AC or a radio in the car? Why put 1000s of other features in the car, if BMW intended it to only be on a track? I haven't looked, but I'll bet there is verbiage in the owners manual specifically talking about track use. (not sure) but wouldn't be surprised if there was some warranty voiding or issues they would claim from track driving. So no it wasn't designed to be driven from 0-100 and back to 0 as fast as possible, everytime you drive the car. Theres even a BMW video floating around this forum where they specifically state if the brakes squeak for extended period of time it's not normal. Specifically after washing the car I believe you can expect them to squeak but once warm or dry, they shouldn't. and thats the issue. They squeak warm, hot, cold, wet, dry, on fire, frozen, they squeak. Unfortunately BMW couldn't care less to fix it.

Out of curiosity though, you said "use them correctly and they'll reward you, if not they'll squeel"... Am I reading this correctly? LOL. Interesting comment. What does that even mean. "use my brakes correctly", you mean like slow my car down and get it to stop? Isn't that what they're for? And assuming I use them correctly which apparently is slamming on them every time I come to a stop, what is the reward? They don't squeak? Because thats not true either. They still squeel LOL.

Save it, you seem to want to counter and argue nearly every person on this forum and preach your knowledge yet don't own an F90. And a lot of the stuff you say is dead wrong.

Better luck next time.
Let me explain it in simpler terms the AMG cars swueeled all day even after driving the car hard 5 mins later it'd be back until I realized that was the problem. I'm saying it's not just bmw that has squeaky brakes all performance cars I've owned do, when my friends new glc63 amg that he spent wayyy more than 130k because it's full designo comes to visit I can hear the brakes from a mile away that's how I know he's coming.

I realized these cars need to be beat on so that's what I do now and since then no squeaks. And you're right I don't always mash the brakes, but in regular traffic light to light I absolutely do I do a lot of highway driving as well guess what brakes go to the floor coming off the highway. Every time my radar goes off guess what? Brakes to the floor. You don't need a chiropractor if you expect it and brace for it lol my passengers might if I ever drove with someone in the car but as the driver? Never. You know exactly what you're about to do so you're prepared for it.

Also love how you took my 130k is it normal out if context when I was talking about specifically carbon ceramics there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #55
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Well I'm gonna tell you now carbon ceramics squeak like a bitch until they get extremely hot so if you can't get the regular brakes to not squeak with your driving tue ceramics are gonna be worse
Appreciate 2
Holset272.50
      03-30-2022, 04:24 PM   #56
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This^^^^^^^^^

And tracking this car.....how many people actually do it? 1 in 100? If so, if the "one" runs 100 miles in a year on a track and everyone averages 12,000 miles a year, then total track time is 100/1,200,000 miles - or 8 thousandths of 1 per cent - 0.0083%. Hardly seems BMW would eff it up for the rest of the masses "because that's they way they're supposed to be driven." Pure and simple, they could have done this better. Metallurgy has really come a long way in the last 1000 years.

I mean you're comparing a 550 to an m car not really much of a comparison lol... the brakes are totally different in those cars compared to m cars

I never track my cars never have never will, I always rent something or go to events where they provide cars for the enormous entry fee.

Your right metallurgy has come a long way... but look at things my way... the 550s don't squeak right? So obviously bmw is capable of making a commuter sedan with non squeeky brakes, what makes you think they couldn't do the same for the m5? Unless that somehow detracted from the performance of said brakes which I can't prove but it's my theory. I mean you really only have front brakes on an m5 anyway, so they gotta make sure those front brakes work at 120%. (Rear brakes are single piston floating aka won't do shit to stop the car)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #57
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

I have a 2021 M5 base, steel brakes, it squeaks quite often and is annoying asf. If it were not for all posts about these steel brake noises, I would have thought there was something wrong.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2022, 08:07 PM   #58
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
I mean you're comparing a 550 to an m car not really much of a comparison lol... the brakes are totally different in those cars compared to m cars

I never track my cars never have never will, I always rent something or go to events where they provide cars for the enormous entry fee.

Your right metallurgy has come a long way... but look at things my way... the 550s don't squeak right? So obviously bmw is capable of making a commuter sedan with non squeeky brakes, what makes you think they couldn't do the same for the m5? Unless that somehow detracted from the performance of said brakes which I can't prove but it's my theory. I mean you really only have front brakes on an m5 anyway, so they gotta make sure those front brakes work at 120%. (Rear brakes are single piston floating aka won't do shit to stop the car)
But.......................I wasn't comparing an M550 to an M5 (That's apparently blasphemy). What I meant was: the M550 and M5 are virtually the same length, same width, same height, same weight, same size V8. Forget about all the goodies an M car has that makes it an M car. It's the same physics when trying to stop from high speed. Both cars have no problem doing 130 mph, and both cars will take the same amount of brake friction to bring it to zero. Momentum is just mass x velocity. Not going to change because of badging. It would be interesting to know how far it takes for each, however. But, both will get stopped. If the M5 stops 10 feet sooner, does that mean the M550 brakes aren't safe? No. And, I agree, you can't prove your theory that BMW needs the squeaky compound so as not to deter from performance.

But..................maybe BMW should just have these noisy as fuck brakes as an option that you can check off when you are ordering that says, "Yeah, gimme these, cuz I'm gonna track this thing and I want all the performance I can get and CCBs are too damned expensive." Then find a compound, gee, I don't know, like the M550 brakes, and put them in the M5 for the masses. Maybe make them a tad bigger than the M550's if you have to. I'm not a brake engineer. That's what I pay BMW for.

Is it a Performance Luxury Sedan or a Luxury Performance Sedan. Don't know. Don't care. I just don't think it should sound like a school bus.

Still probly gonna get a 3rd one, tho.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #59
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueString View Post
I have a 2021 M5 base, steel brakes, it squeaks quite often and is annoying asf. If it were not for all posts about these steel brake noises, I would have thought there was something wrong.
Hearing from lots of LCI owners that this issue has not been resolved for them. So sorry you have this issue as well. Thank you for your input!
      03-30-2022, 09:21 PM   #60
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Hearing from lots of LCI owners that this issue has not been resolved for them. So sorry you have this issue as well. Thank you for your input!
Although, the LCI Comp suspension upgrades were marvelous.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #61
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AAM5;28747167"
Although, the LCI Comp suspension upgrades were marvelous.
That's what I have heard! I am so excited I can't wait! Though I have a base currently, I've driven a few pre-LCI Comps and they were quite harsh. Looking forward to seeing the difference over the long term on the LCI!

Thanks again!
      03-30-2022, 10:22 PM   #62
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Let me explain it in simpler terms the AMG cars swueeled all day even after driving the car hard 5 mins later it'd be back until I realized that was the problem. I'm saying it's not just bmw that has squeaky brakes all performance cars I've owned do, when my friends new glc63 amg that he spent wayyy more than 130k because it's full designo comes to visit I can hear the brakes from a mile away that's how I know he's coming.

I realized these cars need to be beat on so that's what I do now and since then no squeaks. And you're right I don't always mash the brakes, but in regular traffic light to light I absolutely do I do a lot of highway driving as well guess what brakes go to the floor coming off the highway. Every time my radar goes off guess what? Brakes to the floor. You don't need a chiropractor if you expect it and brace for it lol my passengers might if I ever drove with someone in the car but as the driver? Never. You know exactly what you're about to do so you're prepared for it.

Also love how you took my 130k is it normal out if context when I was talking about specifically carbon ceramics there.

I'm totally confused now by your commentary... Sorry.... But I appreciate you breaking it down to my inferior, non-racecar engineer mind.

You said your AMG didn't squeal, because you beat on it, and if I beat on mine, like you do yours, I wouldn't have squeal. Then they didn't squeal on your AMG? But then you said all your performance cars do squeal including AMG, but then earlier said they don't squeal, and don't because you solved the squeal mystery?

So are you saying I spent too much on my f90? Because based on your "friend" (love how we always have a "friend" to reference) spending way more than I did on my f90, he has squeal? So does this mean the more I spend the worse the squeal is? Because on my piddly little Lexus ISF's, which had 6 piston Brembos, very similar to M5 brakes (and just as good stopping power), those didn't squeak, and that car was only like 50-60K I cant remember. So maybe the less we spend the quieter the brakes? I know lots of $20K Honda Civics with silent brakes.

All Im saying is of all the performance cars i've had, the ONLY ones to squeak (even while living in different states with totally different climates) was my f10, and f90. NONE of the others did. At all. IS-F, 911 TS, AMG GT, none sneaked. So for me and many others, it's a BMW issue, not a driver issue. It's a flawed design period. No slamming on the brakes will ever be a viable fix in my opinion. It's a BMW cop out to get us all to shut up. It's nonsense.

I shouldn't have to beat on my car and slam on the brakes to get it to stop. Yes i've admitted doing some spirited mashing of the brakes does help it (temporarily), but as soon as I go back to my version of normal driving (obvi not yours), the squeak is right back.

Radar goes off, at stop light, pedal to the floor? Every time? Somehow I find that hard to believe, but whatever its your narrative. You're on the freeway, and radar goes off, you just do a full pedal to the floor smash? Have you been rear ended a lot? Seems dangerous, but thats just me. I have to believe if BMW had this planned as the fix to squeaky brakes and all of us were out driving around smashing our brakes constantly, there would be some class action lawsuits against BMW, because thats an incredibly stupid way to drive on public roads. But to each their own I suppose.

Chiropractor comment? Clearly sarcasm. Because myself, and everyone else on here knows you don't actually drive that way.... But I digress.

Apologies for taking the comment out of context. For reference here is your quote

"it's literally the same with the carbon ceramics, they squeel all day until they're warmed up, is that a problem for your 130k car? No, that's how they're DESIGNED"

What did I take out of context? I said its a problem for my $130k car, and many others on this forum with the same issue. Mine does not have carbon ceramics. I know carbon ceramics squeak especially until they get hot. I wrote that previously. I also wrote in my experience with CCBs on a Ferrari F430, the squeak was nothing like it is on my F90, or F10. And I maintain, it's a problem. Its a problem for a $20k car, its a problem for a $130k car, even more so on a $130k car as we are paying a premium for a premium product, from a premium brand, known for top notch engineering, performance, and luxury.

You were referencing a comment on a previous reply where I said its embarrassing and unacceptable for a $130K car to have squeaky brakes.

Again, you've totally lost me. Just trying to keep up.

With all that said, as others have said, the f90 is an amazing car. The brakes are the ONLY thing I hate about the car. Not the performance of the brakes, the squeaking, followed closely by the brake dust, which actually is a characteristic of most brands, performance brakes especially. Squeaking? Not so much, its an issue, and they should offer a FREE fix for it. Period.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5071.00
      03-31-2022, 03:03 AM   #63
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm totally confused now by your commentary... Sorry.... But I appreciate you breaking it down to my inferior, non-racecar engineer mind.

You said your AMG didn't squeal, because you beat on it, and if I beat on mine, like you do yours, I wouldn't have squeal. Then they didn't squeal on your AMG? But then you said all your performance cars do squeal including AMG, but then earlier said they don't squeal, and don't because you solved the squeal mystery?

So are you saying I spent too much on my f90? Because based on your "friend" (love how we always have a "friend" to reference) spending way more than I did on my f90, he has squeal? So does this mean the more I spend the worse the squeal is? Because on my piddly little Lexus ISF's, which had 6 piston Brembos, very similar to M5 brakes (and just as good stopping power), those didn't squeak, and that car was only like 50-60K I cant remember. So maybe the less we spend the quieter the brakes? I know lots of $20K Honda Civics with silent brakes.

All Im saying is of all the performance cars i've had, the ONLY ones to squeak (even while living in different states with totally different climates) was my f10, and f90. NONE of the others did. At all. IS-F, 911 TS, AMG GT, none sneaked. So for me and many others, it's a BMW issue, not a driver issue. It's a flawed design period. No slamming on the brakes will ever be a viable fix in my opinion. It's a BMW cop out to get us all to shut up. It's nonsense.

I shouldn't have to beat on my car and slam on the brakes to get it to stop. Yes i've admitted doing some spirited mashing of the brakes does help it (temporarily), but as soon as I go back to my version of normal driving (obvi not yours), the squeak is right back.

Radar goes off, at stop light, pedal to the floor? Every time? Somehow I find that hard to believe, but whatever its your narrative. You're on the freeway, and radar goes off, you just do a full pedal to the floor smash? Have you been rear ended a lot? Seems dangerous, but thats just me. I have to believe if BMW had this planned as the fix to squeaky brakes and all of us were out driving around smashing our brakes constantly, there would be some class action lawsuits against BMW, because thats an incredibly stupid way to drive on public roads. But to each their own I suppose.

Chiropractor comment? Clearly sarcasm. Because myself, and everyone else on here knows you don't actually drive that way.... But I digress.

Apologies for taking the comment out of context. For reference here is your quote

"it's literally the same with the carbon ceramics, they squeel all day until they're warmed up, is that a problem for your 130k car? No, that's how they're DESIGNED"

What did I take out of context? I said its a problem for my $130k car, and many others on this forum with the same issue. Mine does not have carbon ceramics. I know carbon ceramics squeak especially until they get hot. I wrote that previously. I also wrote in my experience with CCBs on a Ferrari F430, the squeak was nothing like it is on my F90, or F10. And I maintain, it's a problem. Its a problem for a $20k car, its a problem for a $130k car, even more so on a $130k car as we are paying a premium for a premium product, from a premium brand, known for top notch engineering, performance, and luxury.

You were referencing a comment on a previous reply where I said its embarrassing and unacceptable for a $130K car to have squeaky brakes.

Again, you've totally lost me. Just trying to keep up.

With all that said, as others have said, the f90 is an amazing car. The brakes are the ONLY thing I hate about the car. Not the performance of the brakes, the squeaking, followed closely by the brake dust, which actually is a characteristic of most brands, performance brakes especially. Squeaking? Not so much, its an issue, and they should offer a FREE fix for it. Period.
Ok I'm done arguing and trying to explain shit to a 5 year old, if you're so smart why don't you tell me what the issue with bmw brakes are? Or better yet why not fix the problem and call it a day? Is it the caliper that's the issue? It's a standard brembo that I'm sure amg and porche use in some of their cars as well, is it the pads or the rotors? Go to the manufacturer that makes amg brakes and see if they make the right size for the m5, I'm sure they do. The issue is the vibrations caused when applying the brakes with moderate to low pressure under normal driving conditions, it's because you don't apply enough force to make the pad stay on the rotor.

Now if you'd like go Google mercedes e63s brake pad squeel see all the threads that show up and keep on telling me amgs don't squeek, I f*cking dare you! Just because YOURS didn't, same like how some people's m cars don't doesn't mean none of them do. It's just part of the DESIGN of fixed floating calipers

I mean for f*cks sake porche even made a video explaining that squeels are inevitable and it just happens, so get off your high horse. For the 50th time don't buy a performance car if you don't want squeeky brakes that's that.

Maybe a porchd video will get through that skull of yours if my explanations won't
Appreciate 2
Holset272.50
wesleyan921388.50
      03-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #64
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Liqui Moly brake anti-squeal paste.
I guess this works similarly like the copper/aluminum paste.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 05:38 AM   #65
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I have had two F10 M5's and four F90 M5's, NONE have ever squeaked or made any noises. This last one and the first have CCB's, no problems.
TIP: I do snowfoam and jetwash the wheels/Pads/disks.
      03-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #66
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AAM5;28739362"
Retiring this car soon, but I hate the squeal so much, I'm going to replace the pads anyways. Hopefully won't be an issue on my incoming LCI M5C. Thanks again!
Don't get your hopes up. My 2019 base started squealing at 5k. Then replaced the pads. A couple thousand miles of quiet turned into the school bus soon enough. My 2021 LCI Comp got noisy at 8k. Not nearly as bad. But, still annoying. CCBs next time for sure.
I'm currently only have 2k miles on the car, I noticed the squeal is less then when I was at around 1k miles. Should I except more squeal done the road? I thought the brakes are broken in since it squeal less then when new.
Appreciate 0