BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bavsound long term review

09-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #23
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphT5 View Post
Quote:
Just ordered the full kit. Figured I would do the whole thing at once. Plan is to install in 2 weeks…
Let us know how it goes! I'm contemplating the same for mine.
Installing all speakers this Friday - will do…
Can't wait to hear your thoughts! Give it 20 hours to break in, even though the insert says 12.
Right out of the box, sounds like a different system. Me, as a deaf musician, can hear each instrument clearly now. Most importantly, the bass guitar

Money well spent 👍
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2022, 06:22 PM   #24
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just ordered the full kit. Figured I would do the whole thing at once. Plan is to install in 2 weeks…
Can't wait to hear your thoughts! Give it 20 hours to break in, even though the insert says 12.
Right out of the box, sounds like a different system. Me, as a deaf musician, can hear each instrument clearly now. Most importantly, the bass guitar

Money well spent 👍
I told you!!! So happy you got them and they're sounding good! They'll be sounding even better soon! Seriously — enjoy good car audio now, and know you've fixed one of the very few sore points of the M5.

Ghost subs only or also with the stage one kit?
      09-23-2022, 07:12 PM   #25
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I told you!!! So happy you got them and they're sounding good! They'll be sounding even better soon! Seriously — enjoy good car audio now, and know you've fixed one of the very few sore points of the M5.

Every speaker - both kits...
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #26
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Every speaker - both kits...
      09-24-2022, 06:48 AM   #27
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Great to hear the feedback on these from both of you. Curious if you guys also researched Bimmertech? If so what made you decide? Doing some research myself and it seems Pepsi vs Coke so not sure if one has advantage over another??
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #28
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Great to hear the feedback on these from both of you. Curious if you guys also researched Bimmertech? If so what made you decide? Doing some research myself and it seems Pepsi vs Coke so not sure if one has advantage over another??
I did not research bimmertech. Usually over research but just trusted the feedback here on Bavsound. Did not disappoint…
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #29
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Over-researcher here as well. Bimmertech does not offer a free trial period, and I had never heard them in person. Reviews exist, but I couldn't find enough about about the F90 platform specifically to convince me. For all I know, they could be better, but I didn't want to take the chance. BavSound offers a 100 day no questions asked return policy. As I mentioned, not only does BimmerTech does not offer a trial period, items are only returnable for 14 days only IF they have not been installed. Also, BavSound's warranty and customer service is top notch. See my first long post further back in this thread about the warranty replacements I was provided.
      09-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #30
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Money well spent 👍

Just installed the ghost subs after reading all the great feedback here. Firstly super easy install and I'm no expert with these things! (Less than an hour)

Immediate improvement after adjusting all the settings and equalizer to the recommended settings bavsound sent me - so much so I had a huge smile on my face on the first drive and this is before even the break in period so I'm sure they will sound better and better as time goes on.

Anyone debating the upgrade who likes listening to music - DO IT! You won't be disappointed!!!

Now temped with the full speaker upgrade 😂
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #31
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMA89 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Money well spent 👍

Just installed the ghost subs after reading all the great feedback here. Firstly super easy install and I'm no expert with these things! (Less than an hour)

Immediate improvement after adjusting all the settings and equalizer to the recommended settings bavsound sent me - so much so I had a huge smile on my face on the first drive and this is before even the break in period so I'm sure they will sound better and better as time goes on.

Anyone debating the upgrade who like listening to music - DO IT! You won't be disappointed!!!

Now temped with the full speaker upgrade 😂
So happy to hear about another satisfied forum member!

It only gets better from here.
      09-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #32
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Would the ghost subs work with the B&W system as well? I’ve got HK in order but thinking about maybe changing and I hear the bass is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #33
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Would the ghost subs work with the B&W system as well? I've got HK in order but thinking about maybe changing and I hear the bass is lacking.
BavSound is designed for HK and HiFi (standard and top) audio systems only.

The BavSound is a great upgrade over HK, but if I had the option of B&W, I obviously would have done that (of course it was unavailable when I got my LCI). And if the bass wasn't enough, I'd go from there.
      09-25-2022, 07:04 AM   #34
NCRob
Captain
Rep

Quote:

The BavSound is a great upgrade over HK, but if I had the option of B&W, I obviously would have done that (of course it was unavailable when I got my LCI). And if the bass wasn't enough, I'd go from there.
I gotta say, you are one of the most helpful folks on this site, always taking time to address questions with absolute courtesy and respect. However, you keep costing me money! Lol!

Curious, What’s the correct pronunciation & meaning of your moniker if you care to share?
Appreciate 3
      09-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #35
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Would the ghost subs work with the B&W system as well? I've got HK in order but thinking about maybe changing and I hear the bass is lacking.

I wonder what would be better 1. The standard B&W system or 2. The HK system but with upgraded ghost subs and their full speaker upgrade.

Number 2 is half the cost of 1 so just curious peoples thoughts and best bang for
Your buck?
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #36
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I gotta say, you are one of the most helpful folks on this site, always taking time to address questions with absolute courtesy and respect. However, you keep costing me money! Lol!

Curious, What's the correct pronunciation & meaning of your moniker if you care to share?
Thanks for the kind words, Rob! I am a true enthusiast "car guy," and very passionate about the F90 platform. I absolutely love sharing ideas and knowledge with like minded individuals. The forum is only as good as the members make it! I believe this is a place for us to learn from one another, and I love being a part of that. I also believe in the Golden Rule — treat others the same way you wish to be treated. It's a changing world out there, and in my opinion, it doesn't take a lot to be a decent human being.

Race
ipp - suh (like "sun" but without the "n")
LOCK - wit - Uhr (like "urn" but without the "n")

A Latin phrase literally meaning "the thing speaks for itself." It's a legal doctrine that says where an accident occurred, it's likely that someone, somewhere in the process, was negligent, even if there isn't direct evidence to suggest what the negligent act exactly was, or who committed the negligent act(s). Said another way, the occurrence of an accident implies negligence. Proving negligence ordinarily requires proving the existence of (1) a duty owed to plaintiff by defendant; (2) a breach of that duty by defendant; (3) causation (between defendant's act and the result); and, (4) damages suffered by the plaintiff. The RIL doctrine allows the court to infer the first three elements (thus precluding the plaintiff from having to prove them), even without direct evidence as to such.
      09-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #37
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder what would be better 1. The standard B&W system or 2. The HK system but with upgraded ghost subs and their full speaker upgrade.

Number 2 is half the cost of 1 so just curious peoples thoughts and best bang for
Your buck?

That's a tough call. If the B&W was available at the time I got my second M5, I undoubtedly would have gone with that, and considered upgrades from there if need be.

With that being said, the bang for your buck with BavSound system is fantastic, but I'd only go that route if I was forced into HK.

In your case, I believe you have the HK since you're in a CS. I would personally recommend going with the Ghost under seat kit first. See if that gives you the improvements that you're looking for. If not, go to the stage one kit. This would be way more efficient that attempting to retrofit BW, which some members here have mentioned and talked about, but we have not seen anyone execute it yet.

You may get slightly better bass response from the BavSound kit as compared to the BW, but that really depends on what kind of music you listen to.

If you're on the fence about BavSound, try the Ghost kit and know that you can return it with 100 days, even if installed, with no questions asked.
      09-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #38
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your buck?

That's a tough call. If the B&W was available at the time I got my second M5, I undoubtedly would have gone with that, and considered upgrades from there if need be.

With that being said, the bang for your buck with BavSound system is fantastic, but I'd only go that route if I was forced into HK.

In your case, I believe you have the HK since you're in a CS. I would personally recommend going with the Ghost under seat kit first. See if that gives you the improvements that you're looking for. If not, go to the stage one kit. This would be way more efficient that attempting to retrofit BW, which some members here have mentioned and talked about, but we have not seen anyone execute it yet.

You may get slightly better bass response from the BavSound kit as compared to the BW, but that really depends on what kind of music you listen to.

If you're on the fence about BavSound, try the Ghost kit and know that you can return it with 100 days, even if installed, with not questions asked.
Just installed the ghost subs and already noticed a big difference, very happy! Now my brain is saying "wonder what the stage 1 improvement would be?" 😂
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #39
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your buck?

If you're on the fence about BavSound, try the Ghost kit and know that you can return it with 100 days, even if installed, with not questions asked.
Just installed the ghost subs and already noticed a big difference, very happy! Now my brain is saying "wonder what the stage 1 improvement would be?" 😂
So happy to hear that!!!

If you're satisfied with Ghost kit, you can see how it meshes with the whole system. It sounds good now, but you'll get a better idea of how your system now works as a whole in about 20 hours, even though the insert calls for less.

The stage one kit does to the remaining speakers what the Ghost kit does to the subs! I think it would get you much closer to BW level.
      09-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #40
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your buck?

Outstanding - HUGE upgrade with both kits installed. Blown away how poor original speakers were in a six figure car. You will not be disappointed… 👍
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #41
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

The BavSound speakers are higher quality than the B&W speakers. They are designed by Audiotec Fischer in Germany, a high end car audio company that makes Brax, Helix and Match brands.

The B&W amplifier is far better than the HK amplifier, however.

The biggest problem with both the HK and B&W systems is the lack of processing. If there were basic DSP functions like time alignment and individual speaker EQ, then we could do a lot to improve the sound.

If the BavSound amp upgrade were compatible it would have the DSP features we need to make the system sound a lot better. Unfortunately, it's not compatible.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 10-06-2022 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
BMA89223.50
      09-26-2022, 07:32 AM   #42
RalphT5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Outstanding - HUGE upgrade with both kits installed. Blown away how poor original speakers were in a six figure car. You will not be disappointed… 👍
Ok, you've convinced me. Now to find a dealer in Houston.
      09-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #43
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, you've convinced me. Now to find a dealer in Houston.
I ordered directly and had a local high end audio installer take care of it. Was about 5 hours of work for both kits… enjoy!

FWIW - he was blown away by the difference…
Appreciate 1
RalphT5255.50
      09-29-2022, 07:42 AM   #44
RalphT5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90

Garage List
  [0.00]
Ordered the subs today. Will install myself when they arrive. May replace the rest if I'm happy with the subs.