BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Pre-LCI to LCI F90 Owners - Brake squeal difference?

03-31-2022, 10:49 AM   #67
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Well I'm gonna tell you now carbon ceramics squeak like a bitch until they get extremely hot so if you can't get the regular brakes to not squeak with your driving tue ceramics are gonna be worse
Yeah, I've had CCBs before.

Again, didn't go the CCB route because it made no sense for my driving environment (nor was the flex needed). It had nothing to do with brake squeal or lack thereof.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 12:24 PM   #68
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
Liqui Moly brake anti-squeal paste.
I guess this works similarly like the copper/aluminum paste.

Thank you so much for providing this! I will definitely be trying it!
      03-31-2022, 12:26 PM   #69
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I have had two F10 M5's and four F90 M5's, NONE have ever squeaked or made any noises. This last one and the first have CCB's, no problems.
TIP: I do snowfoam and jetwash the wheels/Pads/disks.
John, thank so you much for your input. Your experience (to me, at least) validates the view of many others and myself on this forum; it's a hit or miss type of thing. Which puts me further in the camp that it's a "defect" for lack of a better term, (though many others here have stated otherwise and vehemently disagree). Perhaps if every single owner stated they had this problem, my view would be different. You experience is especially telling as you have 2 F90 models with CCBs and 2 without.

With all that being said, I will try both your snow foam and jet wash suggestions.

Thank you very much once again! I really appreciate it!
      03-31-2022, 12:31 PM   #70
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyBHGM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AAM5;28739362"
Retiring this car soon, but I hate the squeal so much, I'm going to replace the pads anyways. Hopefully won't be an issue on my incoming LCI M5C. Thanks again!
Don't get your hopes up. My 2019 base started squealing at 5k. Then replaced the pads. A couple thousand miles of quiet turned into the school bus soon enough. My 2021 LCI Comp got noisy at 8k. Not nearly as bad. But, still annoying. CCBs next time for sure.
I'm currently only have 2k miles on the car, I noticed the squeal is less then when I was at around 1k miles. Should I except more squeal done the road? I thought the brakes are broken in since it squeal less then when new.
Don't know if you have a pre-LCI or not, but based on what we're seeing here, it probably doesn't matter. Hopefully your squealing dies down, but is definitely possible you may have it down the road since some owners report having it get better, while many report it getting worse. It seems being broken in has nothing to do with the squeal. Unfortunately, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the matter.
      03-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #71
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Retiring this car soon, but I hate the squeal so much, I'm going to replace the pads anyways. Hopefully won't be an issue on my incoming LCI M5C. Thanks again!
Don't get your hopes up. My 2019 base started squealing at 5k. Then replaced the pads. A couple thousand miles of quiet turned into the school bus soon enough. My 2021 LCI Comp got noisy at 8k. Not nearly as bad. But, still annoying. CCBs next time for sure.
I'm currently only have 2k miles on the car, I noticed the squeal is less then when I was at around 1k miles. Should I except more squeal done the road? I thought the brakes are broken in since it squeal less then when new.
Don't know if you have a pre-LCI or not, but based on what we're seeing here, it probably doesn't matter. Hopefully your squealing dies down, but is definitely possible you may have it down the road since some owners report having it get better, while many report it getting worse. It seems being broken in has nothing to do with the squeal. Unfortunately, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the matter.
The brake squealing is hit or miss. I have an LCI with steel brakes and about 17k miles, and the only squealing noises it makes are the tires in RWD mode for fun once in a while.. brakes are quiet and effective.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #72
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok I'm done arguing and trying to explain shit to a 5 year old, if you're so smart why don't you tell me what the issue with bmw brakes are? Or better yet why not fix the problem and call it a day? Is it the caliper that's the issue? It's a standard brembo that I'm sure amg and porche use in some of their cars as well, is it the pads or the rotors? Go to the manufacturer that makes amg brakes and see if they make the right size for the m5, I'm sure they do. The issue is the vibrations caused when applying the brakes with moderate to low pressure under normal driving conditions, it's because you don't apply enough force to make the pad stay on the rotor.

Now if you'd like go Google mercedes e63s brake pad squeel see all the threads that show up and keep on telling me amgs don't squeek, I f*cking dare you! Just because YOURS didn't, same like how some people's m cars don't doesn't mean none of them do. It's just part of the DESIGN of fixed floating calipers

I mean for f*cks sake porche even made a video explaining that squeels are inevitable and it just happens, so get off your high horse. For the 50th time don't buy a performance car if you don't want squeeky brakes that's that.

Maybe a porchd video will get through that skull of yours if my explanations won't
Love it... "Ok I'm done arguing and trying to explain shit to a 5 year old"... then proceeds to argue and explain shit.

No, Im not smarter than the engineers at BMW in regard to performance engineers, I dont know what causes it directly. I am smarter than them on other fields. Just not car engineering.

Some say aftermarket pads fixes it. But you say its inherent and not an issue? Its confusing.How would aftermarket pads fix it if its a design and inherent? You make no sense.You say why don't I fix it myself? But you also say its something that cant and shouldn't be fixed? I would love for them to figure out the solution since essentially thats what I paid them to do. I think thats what everyone on here is saying. Except you. Then you say it is a problem, then say it isnt. Then say your cars didn't squeak because you know how to drive and we all don't (by "we all" i'm referring to those of us that actually own an f90). But then you say they do squeak on your cars, so those ones you weren't driving properly? So confused.

So are the ones that do squeak the problem cars, or are the ones that dont squeak the problem ? We agree some do and some dont. There is clearly something differentiating the 2? Which side is the proper side? According to you the ones that do squeak are the problem, but its a problem with the driver. Then you say they all squeak. I say the only ones ive driven or owned with this "issue" is my f10 and f90. So no its not all performance cars, and no its not because of drivers, I drive my m5 the same way I drove the others that didn't squeak.

As far as googling... Why? I've got you doing that for me, I don't need to think for myself. I've got you to tell me how it is. But then you contradict yourself. Whats a lowly dumb 5 year old to do when my teacher says one thing, then says another completely contradicting themselves later. I was literally about to go smash on my brakes and change my driving style until I read another post from you admitting yours do still squeak.... I dont know what to do now.

Why not google the video where the ACTUAL BMW engineer talks about how noisy brakes long term is indeed NOT normal. Find that one for everyones viewing pleasure.

However, I would actually google it myself if you triple dog dared me. Everyone knows you cant back down from a triple dog dare. Again, I digress.

One of my last points: fixed floating calipers? Whats that? Im aware of fixed OR floating. Not this new fancy fixed floating, is that new? What are the M5's??? As a M/AMG engineer surely you know the front on m5 and most performance cars with these style brakes are "fixed", the rear are indeed floating. But you knew that of course. I'll admit though, I don't know which one is inherently squeaky? Can you enlighten me? Since it's you that said it. Fixed? Floating? Or the new fancy fixed floating. The M5 has both, but not the fixed floating. Which ones have the design to squeak? Because my other cars with fixed(fr) and floating (rr) calipers didn't squeak. Shouldn't if it's a design characteristic inherent to these brakes as you say, they should ALL squeak? But we know they all don't. And if its a characteristic of all fixed OR floating caliper systems, shouldn't all cars squeak not just performance cars. The vast majority of cars have either fixed or floating systems. Some may still be rocking the drum brakes on the rear, but don't see that too often. Maybe since you say its fixed floating that are the issue (which encompasses all disc brake systems), maybe the new M5s will rock drum brakes on all 4 corners? Maybe I can do a swap.

Who's to know who's brakes are messed up? Will we ever know?What is life? Where did we come from? Why are we here? Are the squeaky brakes the problem, or are non squeaky brakes the problem? We need a super smart person in the forum...

Found one, You! Thank god! With that said I just need you to clarify all your points because you play both sides of the coin, constantly contradicting yourself. But I do know you're super smart, so it's not a dig on you. I just need clarification because my 5yr old mind is having trouble keeping up with your high functioning adult brain.

As i'm stepping down from my high horse, I just want thank you for your dialogue and highly valuable.... albeit... contradicting and incorrect information for the forum. At no point in this thread have you offered anything even remotely close to a solution. We are all now dumber for enduring all of this. I award you NO points, and my god have mercy on your sole.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 03-31-2022 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 03:50 PM   #73
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Love it... "Ok I'm done arguing and trying to explain shit to a 5 year old"... then proceeds to argue and explain shit.

No, Im not smarter than the engineers at BMW in regard to performance engineers, I dont know what causes it directly. I am smarter than them on other fields. Just not car engineering.

Some say aftermarket pads fixes it. But you say its inherent and not an issue? Its confusing.How would aftermarket pads fix it if its a design and inherent? You make no sense.You say why don't I fix it myself? But you also say its something that cant and shouldn't be fixed? I would love for them to figure out the solution since essentially thats what I paid them to do. I think thats what everyone on here is saying. Except you. Then you say it is a problem, then say it isnt. Then say your cars didn't squeak because you know how to drive and we all don't (by "we all" i'm referring to those of us that actually own an f90). But then you say they do squeak on your cars, so those ones you weren't driving properly? So confused.

So are the ones that do squeak the problem cars, or are the ones that dont squeak the problem ? We agree some do and some dont. There is clearly something differentiating the 2? Which side is the proper side? According to you the ones that do squeak are the problem, but its a problem with the driver. Then you say they all squeak. I say the only ones ive driven or owned with this "issue" is my f10 and f90. So no its not all performance cars, and no its not because of drivers, I drive my m5 the same way I drove the others that didn't squeak.

As far as googling... Why? I've got you doing that for me, I don't need to think for myself. I've got you to tell me how it is. But then you contradict yourself. Whats a lowly dumb 5 year old to do when my teacher says one thing, then says another completely contradicting themselves later. I was literally about to go smash on my brakes and change my driving style until I read another post from you admitting yours do still squeak.... I dont know what to do now.

Why not google the video where the ACTUAL BMW engineer talks about how noisy brakes long term is indeed NOT normal. Find that one for everyones viewing pleasure.

However, I would actually google it myself if you triple dog dared me. Everyone knows you cant back down from a triple dog dare. Again, I digress.

One of my last points: fixed floating calipers? Whats that? Im aware of fixed OR floating. Not this new fancy fixed floating, is that new? What are the M5's??? As a M/AMG engineer surely you know the front on m5 and most performance cars with these style brakes are "fixed", the rear are indeed floating. But you knew that of course. I'll admit though, I don't know which one is inherently squeaky? Can you enlighten me? Since it's you that said it. Fixed? Floating? Or the new fancy fixed floating. The M5 has both, but not the fixed floating. Which ones have the design to squeak? Because my other cars with fixed(fr) and floating (rr) calipers didn't squeak. Shouldn't if it's a design characteristic inherent to these brakes as you say, they should ALL squeak? But we know they all don't. And if its a characteristic of all fixed OR floating caliper systems, shouldn't all cars squeak not just performance cars. The vast majority of cars have either fixed or floating systems. Some may still be rocking the drum brakes on the rear, but don't see that too often. Maybe since you say its fixed floating that are the issue (which encompasses all disc brake systems), maybe the new M5s will rock drum brakes on all 4 corners? Maybe I can do a swap.

Who's to know who's brakes are messed up? Will we ever know?What is life? Where did we come from? Why are we here? Are the squeaky brakes the problem, or are non squeaky brakes the problem? We need a super smart person in the forum...

Found one, You! Thank god! With that said I just need you to clarify all your points because you play both sides of the coin, constantly contradicting yourself. But I do know you're super smart, so it's not a dig on you. I just need clarification because my 5yr old mind is having trouble keeping up with your high functioning adult brain.

As i'm stepping down from my high horse, I just want thank you for your dialogue and highly valuable.... albeit... contradicting and incorrect information for the forum. At no point in this thread have you offered anything even remotely close to a solution. We are all now dumber for enduring all of this. I award you NO points, and my god have mercy on your sole.

I'll give you the fixed floating thing lol, I was on 2 hours of sleep writing that. Other than that you know how they say if only you have a problem chances are you're the problem? Don't see anyone else saying they didn't understand my posts, it's pretty clearly written, if you can't understand them that's your issue at this point. I'm telling you fixed caliper brakes squeaking is normal you're saying your amgs and porches don't do it thereby none of the amgs and porches do so I'm telling you to go fix the issue since the caliper itself most likely isn't the issue since it's just a normal brembo. So that leaves pads and rotors for you to play around with, and when nothing changes you can come back here and just admit you were wrong lol.

For the last time, if you drive the car a certain way it'll eliminate squeaking, if not you're gonna keep having it come back again and again, it's just how physics work, so I'm not saying its entirely the drivers problem but the driver can take steps to mitigate the issue by just putting more pressure on the brakes... heck any car if you stop in it and just barely come off the brakes will start moaning and groaning and that's literally the same thing happening here just at higher frequencies. But I digress and I'm done with this thread, enjoy yalls squeeky brakes or simply apply more brake pressure to solve the issue for the most part if not in its entirety. The choice is ultimately yours. Just remember this car was designed to be an Autobahn rocket and maybe a weekend track car, not your grocery getting commuter car. If that's what you're after a 550 is waiting for you at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 04:13 PM   #74
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The brake squealing is hit or miss. I have an LCI with steel brakes and about 17k miles, and the only squealing noises it makes are the tires in RWD mode for fun once in a while.. brakes are quiet and effective.
Seems like you're one of the lucky ones! Thank you so much for your input.
      03-31-2022, 05:56 PM   #75
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Quote:

Definitely worth a try
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 06:23 PM   #76
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll give you the fixed floating thing lol, I was on 2 hours of sleep writing that. Other than that you know how they say if only you have a problem chances are you're the problem? Don't see anyone else saying they didn't understand my posts, it's pretty clearly written, if you can't understand them that's your issue at this point. I'm telling you fixed caliper brakes squeaking is normal you're saying your amgs and porches don't do it thereby none of the amgs and porches do so I'm telling you to go fix the issue since the caliper itself most likely isn't the issue since it's just a normal brembo. So that leaves pads and rotors for you to play around with, and when nothing changes you can come back here and just admit you were wrong lol.

For the last time, if you drive the car a certain way it'll eliminate squeaking, if not you're gonna keep having it come back again and again, it's just how physics work, so I'm not saying its entirely the drivers problem but the driver can take steps to mitigate the issue by just putting more pressure on the brakes... heck any car if you stop in it and just barely come off the brakes will start moaning and groaning and that's literally the same thing happening here just at higher frequencies. But I digress and I'm done with this thread, enjoy yalls squeeky brakes or simply apply more brake pressure to solve the issue for the most part if not in its entirety. The choice is ultimately yours. Just remember this car was designed to be an Autobahn rocket and maybe a weekend track car, not your grocery getting commuter car. If that's what you're after a 550 is waiting for you at the dealership.
Nah, they all think the same thing, just more mature than I am to say anything. Its ok though. I just enjoy a good debate. But since you want to keep going....

I do know the saying as a matter of fact... Is this saying referring to the brakes? Like, "my brakes have a squealing problem, so they're the problem then?" looks like we solved it. Sorry, you walked in to that one.

And no, I said none of the performance cars i've EVER owned have done it other than my 2 M5s. Leads me to believe it's the M5 brakes that have an issue. Pads, rotors, calipers, don't know, I don't know what specific component of the brakes cause the issue. I imagine it's a combination of factors... But again, I'm no engineer.

Weird, you apparently drive "that" certain way, and you yourself said you have cars that squeal regardless? So even with your own logic thats not a fix, nor is it a viable solution, nor does it work.

Yes, brakes moan and groan when lightly lifting off the pedal at a stop light. Thats not the issue with my M5s. Thats a characteristic of having just enough pressure on the pedal to allow the car to creep forward (or backward) and the noise that makes, is not this noise the m5 makes when coming to a stop. Different noise, different issue.

You technically didn't digress, that would require you to go off topic and return. You were on topic the entire time, just a confusing topic. Nicely done.

So M5 isn't a commuter or grocery getter, but... the 550 with nearly the exact same body on it, similar motor, trunk (for groceries, suit cases, golf clubs) is those things?? Getting confused again. Why would BMW design an autobahn rocket with a trunk, 5 seats, ultra nice sound system, all these cool tech features if it was strictly for the autobahn? I feel like they could have made it wayyyy lighter and wayyyy more powerful than they did if that was the goal. Just sayin... Also, if it was strictly an "autobahn rocket", why sell it anywhere besides Germany? United States doesn't have "autobahns"... oops, I mean we do have "autobahns", they're called freeways. They just have speed limits generally, as does the autobahn in certain areas. Of course you know that though. The autobahn is just a highway/freeway as we call them on this side of the pond. There are parts of the autobahn that have no speed limit. And Germany has recommended autobahn speeds to drive everywhere. So technically ANY car sold (not designed) in Germany is technically designed to be an "autobahn (rocket, sled, moped, COMMUTER, grocery getter, you name it)". Since i'm sure Germany like USA, has strict requirements and regulations for ANY car sold in Germany, and driven on public roads there. After all, the autobahn is just a freeway/highway/expressway. So you're technically right it was designed to be an autobahn rocket, but it's also designed as an autobahn non-rocket or commuter. Your insinuation that the "autobahn" is some crazy German testing grounds where they put their performance cars through the "true test of performance", is wrong also. Maybe you're confused with the Nurburgring? Again i'm sure it is tested and designed to be driven on the "autobahn", but no more so than being driven on an American freeway, like I-5 or I-10 out here in the west. Just like minivans, and prius's are technically designed for the dreaded AUTOBAHN, as well for folks using it to get from one point to another.... ooooohhhhh scary autobahn car.

I will most certainly enjoy my f90 (even with the irritation and flawed brake design), as most others do on here as well. You enjoy your f9... Never mind... enjoy whatever you drive currently, while your f90 is waiting at the dealership, or maybe its just waiting. I dont know, like I said hard for me to keep up.

Have a lovely evening.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 03-31-2022 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #77
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Definitely worth a try
Just ordered it! Thank you!
Maverik2594140.00
      04-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #78
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Good news I just saw racing brake finally has a 2 piece rotor and pad set they sell for the F90 there lighter and slotted/drilled which is much better for street driving anyway. Plus you can just replace the rings and keep the hat.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #79
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Good news I just saw racing brake finally has a 2 piece rotor and pad set they sell for the F90 there lighter and slotted/drilled which is much better for street driving anyway. Plus you can just replace the rings and keep the hat.
I will check these out! Thank you!
      08-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #80
AP_M5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5

2022 M5C owner with CCB. I picked up my car three weeks ago with no brake noise through 1k miles. I just recently started to hear mild noise when braking <20mph and random. I’ll be interested to see if it continues or clears up.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #81
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy3248 View Post
2022 M5C owner with CCB. I picked up my car three weeks ago with no brake noise through 1k miles. I just recently started to hear mild noise when braking <20mph and random. I’ll be interested to see if it continues or clears up.
CCB are indeed inherently noisy brakes. On all cars. While steel is not inherently noisy with the vast majority of cars, that are not M5s.

With the CCBs the minor squeaks tend to go away when warmed up. But also is quite different squeak than I hear with the steels on my 19 Comp.

Much louder and obnoxious than a mild squeak. It's a squeal when coming to a stop. Like a school bus. Every. Single. Time. Unless I come to a very hard stop. Which as some mention, is how you should drive, but the hard stop i'm referring to is either an emergency stop or near emergency.
Appreciate 0