BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5C vs. 911 T4 GTS (ride comfort)

07-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
2001S15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 911 Targa / 24 X7 / 08 S2K

Talking M5C vs. 911 T4 GTS (ride comfort)

OK, just an excuse to start another M5C suspension comfort thread.

When I test drove the M5C, I felt like the ride was just at the limit of what I'd tolerate in a daily. I'd ridden in a W212 E63s before and it felt too harsh. Having lived with my M5C for a little over a month now I can say I probably wouldn't order the Competition if I had to do over, but it's not unbearable. Most of the time I don't notice. When I do notice it's not that the car is shaking itself to pieces with harsh thuds (E63s), it's that I'm getting jostled around a bit more than I might expect.

However, the amusing moment was at the end of the first week when I thought "hey, it's firmer, but it's not as stiff as the 911, so it's still a better daily." Since I hadn't driven my 911.2 T4GTS (non-SPASM, due to being a Targa) since picking up the M5, I decided to drive it to work the next day. My surprise, it felt about the same, if not a touch more comfortable than the M5C.

I'm not sure if this is a testament to how well Porsche executes the compromise between comfort and sport, or a comment to how BMW has pushed the M5C right up against the edge of acceptability... (where MB/AMG shot right over it)... but there you have it. Both cars are awesome to drive. The M5 is still significantly easier to get in and out of so it remains my first choice for commuting. The 911 is lower and significantly easier to bottom out (exiting my driveway, bumps in the road, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001S15 View Post
OK, just an excuse to start another M5C suspension comfort thread.

When I test drove the M5C, I felt like the ride was just at the limit of what I'd tolerate in a daily. I'd ridden in a W212 E63s before and it felt too harsh. Having lived with my M5C for a little over a month now I can say I probably wouldn't order the Competition if I had to do over, but it's not unbearable. Most of the time I don't notice. When I do notice it's not that the car is shaking itself to pieces with harsh thuds (E63s), it's that I'm getting jostled around a bit more than I might expect.

However, the amusing moment was at the end of the first week when I thought "hey, it's firmer, but it's not as stiff as the 911, so it's still a better daily." Since I hadn't driven my 911.2 T4GTS (non-SPASM, due to being a Targa) since picking up the M5, I decided to drive it to work the next day. My surprise, it felt about the same, if not a touch more comfortable than the M5C.

I'm not sure if this is a testament to how well Porsche executes the compromise between comfort and sport, or a comment to how BMW has pushed the M5C right up against the edge of acceptability... (where MB/AMG shot right over it)... but there you have it. Both cars are awesome to drive. The M5 is still significantly easier to get in and out of so it remains my first choice for commuting. The 911 is lower and significantly easier to bottom out (exiting my driveway, bumps in the road, etc.)
I have a M5 Base and a TTS. In comfort mode they are close with the edge going to the M5. Access wise , the M5 is better even though the TTS is higher than the GTS. Ground clearance is equal. M5 is MUCH quieter. Driving Dynamics is hands down TTS big time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
whoweedo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 CS

I'm coming from my 991.1 GT3 and i must say my m5c is definitely more versatile as far as usage but a great compromise for a daily. At heart, I am truly a porsche fan. My only complaint over the gt3 is that my m5c doesn't make music when i mash the pedal lol. Ride quality is definitely tolerable in the m5c in my opinion, Ill take the bit harsher ride if it means a little better handling. (disclaimer: nothing handles better than the GT3 lol)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Im a Porsche fanboy to say the least having had 6 Turbos, 991 GT3, 991 C4S, and now a 991.2 GTS. This includes 5 991's (.1's and .2's); Porsche engineering in the way they marry the damper and spring combo mated up with the chassis is excellent. For a car that doesnt even have magnetorheoligical dampers, the car soaks up the undulations. I'm mainly speaking about the 991 chassis but the engineering is excellent.

Yes we are talking apples and oranges when it comes to weight and other factors but the Pcar is great to drive on a daily basis.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
JDC PDX
Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List Below

Garage List
1990 Ferrari 348tb  [0.00]
2019 M5 Competition  [10.00]
2016 GT3 RS  [0.00]
2016 675 LT Spider  [10.00]
1997 911 RWB  [10.00]
Porsche has been building 911s for 55+ years. There is no substitute.
      07-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I think my dad's 991.1 Turbo is significantly more comfortable ride-wise vs my F80 M3 (non-comp).

Porsche is just unbelievably good tuning suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I have a M5 Base and a TTS. In comfort mode they are close with the edge going to the M5. Access wise , the M5 is better even though the TTS is higher than the GTS. Ground clearance is equal. M5 is MUCH quieter. Driving Dynamics is hands down TTS big time.
I recently got rid of a 992.1 TTS, mainly because the car was too annoying to drive on long trips - it was so noisy! And not good noise, like engine sounds, but low rpm droning, lack of sound deadening, etc. It was literally almost a perfect car except that after driving it for more than an hour, I wanted to sell it. It was so loud that the Burmeister had to be cranked to the point of harshness to properly hear music, when on the highway. The TTS is as loud at 70mph as the GT3 RS.

The M5 is way, way quieter. C&D tested both cars at a 70 mph cruise and found a 7-8 db difference between the 2018 M5 and the 992.1 TTS.
I really noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
I recently got rid of a 992.1 TTS, mainly because the car was too annoying to drive on long trips - it was so noisy! And not good noise, like engine sounds, but low rpm droning, lack of sound deadening, etc. It was literally almost a perfect car except that after driving it for more than an hour, I wanted to sell it. It was so loud that the Burmeister had to be cranked to the point of harshness to properly hear music, when on the highway. The TTS is as loud at 70mph as the GT3 RS.

The M5 is way, way quieter. C&D tested both cars at a 70 mph cruise and found a 7-8 db difference between the 2018 M5 and the 992.1 TTS.
I really noticed it.
Common complaint with Pirelli NO. I have the Michelin’s on my F90 and N1’s on my TTS. My F90 is whisper quiet on a 75mph Cruise. My TTS is not as quiet but not even close to your description or I would have sold it by now. It’s not any louder than my F85 was at 75 mph cruise. My wife even asked about taking it on a 6 hour cruise the other day. And we will. You may have had the NO tires or something defective in the exhaust. My friend has a GT3RS and the cruise sound is much louder than my TTS.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Common complaint with Pirelli NO. I have the Michelin’s on my F90 and N1’s on my TTS. My F90 is whisper quiet on a 75mph Cruise. My TTS is not as quiet but not even close to your description or I would have sold it by now. It’s not any louder than my F85 was at 75 mph cruise. My wife even asked about taking it on a 6 hour cruise the other day. And we will. You may have had the NO tires or something defective in the exhaust. My friend has a GT3RS and the cruise sound is much louder than my TTS.
You may well be right about the tires, I have not tried the N1s. Though we are venturing far afield from M5s, I'll make a couple points and then go away again.

1, C&D used a decibel meter to measure the M5, the TTS, and the GT3 RS @ 70 mph. The M5 was 68-69 db, the TTS 76 db and the GT3 RS was 76 db. A 10db reading would mean literally twice as loud so this is a significant difference.

2, Unlike the M5 which uses electronics to play engine sounds through the sound system, the TTS pipes in actual sound. On normally aspirated engines there is an induction noise which comes from the air intake which can be quite mellifluous. This is different and distinct from the exhaust sound and really enhances the overall sound of the engine, especially at full throttle.

Because the turbos muffle this noise, Porsche runs a hollow tube they call a 'symposer' from the intake area into the cabin to try to recreate this sound. And it does do that. The car is noticeably quieter with the symposer plugged, when at full throttle. But this tube also magnifies an engine drone, which a significant number of owners don't like. There are many people discussing this 2000 rpm drone on the Rennlist boards. Surprisingly, some people don't appear to notice it, suggesting that these cars are not all the same or that some people are more sensitive to low frequency noise.

P.S. I like the sound on the M5
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You may well be right about the tires, I have not tried the N1s. Though we are venturing far afield from M5s, I'll make a couple points and then go away again.

1, C&D used a decibel meter to measure the M5, the TTS, and the GT3 RS @ 70 mph. The M5 was 68-69 db, the TTS 76 db and the GT3 RS was 76 db. A 10db reading would mean literally twice as loud so this is a significant difference.

2, Unlike the M5 which uses electronics to play engine sounds through the sound system, the TTS pipes in actual sound. On normally aspirated engines there is an induction noise which comes from the air intake which can be quite mellifluous. This is different and distinct from the exhaust sound and really enhances the overall sound of the engine, especially at full throttle.

Because the turbos muffle this noise, Porsche runs a hollow tube they call a 'symposer' from the intake area into the cabin to try to recreate this sound. And it does do that. The car is noticeably quieter with the symposer plugged, when at full throttle. But this tube also magnifies an engine drone, which a significant number of owners don't like. There are many people discussing this 2000 rpm drone on the Rennlist boards. Surprisingly, some people don't appear to notice it, suggesting that these cars are not all the same or that some people are more sensitive to low frequency noise.

P.S. I like the sound on the M5
The tires in the test are supposed to be NO. Major problem. Confirmed by many. I don’t doubt the measured decibels at all with the NO tires.

The N1’s are a game changer. My 2019 TTS is much quieter than my 2017 Zo6 was at 75mph. One of many reasons I sold the Zo6 after 6 months.
The Sound Symposer can be an issue for some folks. The nice thing is you can turn it off with the controller. Zero issues with it off for me.

M5 does sound killer. With the resonator removed, imho it sounds light years better than a stock TTS. The TTS needs an aftermarket exhaust to sound “right” but can never match the sound of the V8 F90.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:

I really noticed it.
Just going to assume you mean 991.2...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #12
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Just going to assume you mean 991.2...