BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Next generation BMW M5 (F90) prototype first sighting! Spy Photos, Videos, Info

03-24-2016, 06:32 AM   #177
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Did I read that correct? xDrive only? As in, NO RWD OPTION???!
That's correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #178
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

I don't much care if the 6MT meant you were down 100hp, couldn't have a competition package, and only had 1 color option. Simply put, a manual is a huge reason I'd go with the M5 over anything else.
      03-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #179
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

This is wildly exciting, no doubt about that. What I do miss however were the times when each new generation of M car featured an all new, true bespoke motor. That happened for every generation of M5 up until this one.

Of course the S63 is a gem, it'd probably be a waste to build an entirely new motor from the ground up as opposed to evolving it. All I'm saying is those days were very special.
2010 Toyota Prius - stealth mobile 140K miles since new and still 45 MPG
2017 Lexus GX460 - (gone) - easily one of the most reliable cars I?ve ever owned
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport - 270 WHP w/JB4 (gone)
2010 BMW 535i RWD - 400 WHP (gone)
1992 R32 Nissan Skyline GTR 500 WHP (gone)
1993 Toyota Supra TT 6 speed - 500 WHP (gone)
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #180
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
... Having a Manual gearbox is like attaching a keyboard and mouse to your iPad lol. Why incorporate inferior technology that will severely limit the potential of the vehicle? ...
Pro 6MT arguments:
- More engaging, more fun, more satisfying, "makes the car come alive"
- Less mechanical complexity
- Slightly less weight
- Possibly higher collector value in the (near?) future

Con 6MT arguments:
- DCT prevents expensive "money shifts" on track days
- Slower, worse fuel mileage
- DCT is better in stop-and-go traffic
- You are the weakest link and there's no hiding it any more
I very much agree with you about the fun factor. But in a 4 door sedan that will have close to 700hp, assuming they continue to underrate the actual hp figures, this transmission makes perfect sense, and we should be thankful that they haven't gone the way of Audi or Mercedes with an 8 speed auto that just gives you the illusion of having that same kind of control.

Resale value and reliability? No way in hell lol. The only thing that I imagine that would limit depreciation, or by divine intervention make it some kind of collector car, would be that it is the last RWD M5. It does hold the world record for the longest continuous drift, (however controlled and lame that test may have been) and the rear diff and MDM programming is unmatched when compared to the other RWD competitors within its generation. I won't include the new Cadillac CTS V since they rely on reverse engineering the M5, and 4 to 5 years later act as though they outsmarted the M engineers. It will be interesting to see how they go about the next V when they don't have access to low cost CFRP like our forward thinking BMW executives :

The DCT is also far more reliable in the long run assuming you don't turn it into a drag racer and add 200+ hp to it. Ferrari's new maintenance program is only possible because of how reliable double clutch gearboxes are. I remember the e39 m5 clutch needing to be replaced at 40k miles. Weight savings? Sure, but with the carbon core chassis, cfrp drive shaft introduced on the m3/m4, hood, trunk, hopefully a roof this time , ccb's, and whatever other components the M division will substitute in place of aluminum, the weight savings will be negligible.

So long as this next car doesn't drive itself, or have a system in place to override the driver in a Lane change, I'll be satisfied.

Yes the experience is becoming more numb, yes the car has safety features that one may find intrusive, but there aren't any other manufacturers that maintain a track focused approach to the extent that M does. They even let you disable traction control all the way! But with the majority of people on here building their cars to be driven on a drag strip, the marketing fellows that troll these forums report back to their development teams and figure the majority of our customers like to go fast in a straight line. AWD, DCT, and a lot more power will keep them loyal customers!

I bet you that if the majority of owners took their cars to the track instead of the strip, removed their rear seats and added a roll cage, modified their suspensions instead of adding bigger turbos, and built track focused cars, we would have a different animal coming our way. It is any wonder why Dinan left his company? The tune wasn't enough power, but in reality it was just the right amount to improve track driving within a reliable threshold. Everyone wants to go fast, but in a straight line. BMW won't even be covering break pads in 2017, and why would they need to?

If everyone posted their lap times rather than their 1/4 mile times, we might still have that manual option Now before we bring back Ferrari and Lambo into the argument, let's go back to Porsche since those customers are still loyal to the track, hence forth why they still offer manuals, and will continue to do so until they too want to turn their track car into a drag racer. Ferrari owners don't go outside a 5 mile radius of their garage, and Lambo drivers like to have 2000hp to race gtr's and evo's in a strait line on highways and airstrips.

The power of these forums have more influence than one would think. The consumer behavior influences the engineering and they will give the majority what they want
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #181
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_X
Question for the xDrive owners :

can you switch the AWD of and make it RWD only ?

like switching of TC completly... electrical diff ?

sorry, i was never very much interested in the BMW xDrive
No
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #182
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

OK--ive seen this before---BMW will field test this m5 prototype for the next 2 years, keep everyone waiting and have it anticlimactic when it finally hits US shores...I ask for a couple of things in this battle testing program...Can you please make sure the passenger seat and seat belt don't squeak..??..and check the brake pads as they are prone to annoying shrieking...driving around the ring for two years should help that...
check for suspension clunking too---oh and the injectors on the engine make a lot of noise and resonate in the cabin when combined with the artificial sound make a potpourri of agonizing sounds....and be sure to make the first year cars depreciate like anchors when you introduce the comp package in the second year. Seriously, this prototype marketing blitz has to stop. The engine has been out for the most part in the two versions of x5ms, f10 m5....what are we testing for the next two years?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #183
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
OK--ive seen this before---BMW will field test this m5 prototype for the next 2 years, keep everyone waiting and have it anticlimactic when it finally hits US shores...I ask for a couple of things in this battle testing program...Can you please make sure the passenger seat and seat belt don't squeak..??..and check the brake pads as they are prone to annoying shrieking...driving around the ring for two years should help that...
check for suspension clunking too---oh and the injectors on the engine make a lot of noise and resonate in the cabin when combined with the artificial sound make a potpourri of agonizing sounds....and be sure to make the first year cars depreciate like anchors when you introduce the comp package in the second year. Seriously, this prototype marketing blitz has to stop. The engine has been out for the most part in the two versions of x5ms, f10 m5....what are we testing for the next two years?
I agree. Also a spot for my loose change would be nice. As well as a place I can put my sewing needles and bifocals. /sar

Its people like this complaining to BMW that have made their normal cars soft and undriveable- now they are going after the performance cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #184
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Hopefully, They tune the noise. Not a huge fan of the way it sounds. Sounds ALOT like the current F10 M5. That could be because they're using the S63TÜ again.
I thought hte same thing to sounds just like mine did when it was stock..the Tech will be better but the same damn engine......
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #185
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_X
Question for the xDrive owners :

can you switch the AWD of and make it RWD only ?

like switching of TC completly... electrical diff ?

sorry, i was never very much interested in the BMW xDrive
xDrive sends 100% of torque to the rear wheels after 80 miles an hour, but the driver has no control over it. The system does it automatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #186
b5ka
Private
Rep
Drives: still debating

Anyone with current M5 waiting for this? Or is it just me reading all the news about new generation like "meh". Seriously no "WOW" factor, at all? Maybe it's just too early to judge.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #187
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

turbo
heavier
bigger size
smaller displacement engine
all wheel drive
no more unique engine (used here and there all together and call it an M)

future of the proud M!
bye bye BMW M!
      03-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #188
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5ka
Anyone with current M5 waiting for this? Or is it just me reading all the news about new generation like "meh". Seriously no "WOW" factor, at all? Maybe it's just too early to judge.
I think this will be the most controversial M5 for the "purists" and still too soon to get the enthusiasts blood pumping. Maybe this will start a little salivation:

- Target weight 1815kg with balance optimization
- S63B44T3 - 608ps/800nm
- Active Aerodynamics
- 2nd Generation M Specific Xdrive
- Advanced Active Suspension
- 0-100km/h Target: 3.2s (sub 3.0sec 0-60)
- OLED Lighting Standard
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #189
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
turbo
heavier
bigger size
smaller displacement engine
all wheel drive
no more unique engine (used here and there all together and call it an M)

future of the proud M!
bye bye BMW M!
Too early to make a proper judge!
Overall it will be better than the actual generation.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #190
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

03-26-2016, 12:54 AM   #191
AbuArije5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Non

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60
This is wildly exciting, no doubt about that. What I do miss however were the times when each new generation of M car featured an all new, true bespoke motor. That happened for every generation of M5 up until this one.

Of course the S63 is a gem, it'd probably be a waste to build an entirely new motor from the ground up as opposed to evolving it. All I'm saying is those days were very special.
It wouldn't be a waste building a new motor thats car companies job. Part of innovation I couldn't believe they're using the same motor. Kinda disappointing and embarrassing to m brand
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #192
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Updated March 23, 2016 with the first video of the F90 M5 prototype!

What is this whirring sound I am hearing at 1:17 ?

Rumoured e-boost perhaps ?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #193
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Updated March 23, 2016 with the first video of the F90 M5 prototype!

What is this whirring sound I am hearing at 1:17 ?

Rumoured e-boost perhaps ?
I don't think so. Definitely has the distinct characteristics of a mechanical component that's belt driven, and most likely a/c compressor though not impossible for it to be the alternator too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #194
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuArije5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60

It wouldn't be a waste building a new motor thats car companies job. Part of innovation I couldn't believe they're using the same motor. Kinda disappointing and embarrassing to m brand
What would you propose as a new engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #195
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
A V10.. not that that would ever be allowed with new emission standards..
      03-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #196
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
A V10.. not that that would ever be allowed with new emission standards..
A wonderful thought; one that has been considered, both a 5L and 5.5L with a longer stroke. They may be realized in the future, but in a new model. Has to be t/c and packaging doesn't work to well for the added weight in an M5.

When the E60 M5 arrived with the S85, it met the requirements for a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle and was labeled as such. Now the current M5 with the S63TÜ and less than half the emissions of the S85, is a Tier II Low Emissions Vehicle. Regulations didn't gradually change, they climbed Everest and demanded everyone follow to the top.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #197
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Looks rapid!

I wonder if it's lost some weight over the F10, hope so
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #198
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Looks rapid!

I wonder if it's lost some weight over the F10, hope so
BMW already claimed lost weight via a lighter chassis, but you never know BMW may add more features and the weight will creep back up.

Regardless, more power and AWD, it will be faster than F10, not sure more fun, but no doubt quicker.
Appreciate 0